• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Effect of Rituximab on EBV - Prof Edwards?

Anne

@Jonathan Edwards

Prof Edwards,

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I'm wondering:

Since Epstein-Barr virus resides in B-cells (if I understand this correctly), does Rituximab extinguish an active or re-activating EBV?

I know this mechanism is not likely to be the cause of the response in ME patients given Rituximab, since the delayed response indicates an autoimmune mechanism, but all the same: if a patient with an active or re-activated EBV infection was given Rituximab, would they be cleared of the EBV?

Many thanks in advance! Your participation in the discussions here is much appreciated.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
@Jonathan Edwards

Prof Edwards,

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I'm wondering:

Since Epstein-Barr virus resides in B-cells (if I understand this correctly), does Rituximab extinguish an active or re-activating EBV?

I know this mechanism is not likely to be the cause of the response in ME patients given Rituximab, since the delayed response indicates an autoimmune mechanism, but all the same: if a patient with an active or re-activated EBV infection was given Rituximab, would they be cleared of the EBV?

Many thanks in advance! Your participation in the discussions here is much appreciated.

Rituximab has been used to get rid of clinically active EBV infection in the context of lymphoma and it seems to clear the presence of virus, although it probably does not get rid of all viral DNA. Rituximab almost certainly does not get rid of all B cells. As far as I am aware EBV reactivation only occurs in the context of some pretty severe interference with the immune system like lymphoma or bone marrow transplant preparation.