• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Baking soda

Hi...
I have a severe Brainfog, like i am space out or a very bad fatique in brain..weard, i know!! I heard that baking soda can help,is this true????

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I've used baking soda to counteract. MCS exposure. I don't know about dog but I'd be curious

I used 1/4 tsp in 4 oz water. How were you going to take it?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Hi...
I have a severe Brainfog, like i am space out or a very bad fatique in brain..weard, i know!! I heard that baking soda can help,is this true????

I don't know the exact answer, but it may help by reducing acidity in the gut (and maybe in the brain?) when conditions are too acidic. One of the things that causes my brain fog is pressure in the bowel (e.g. from trapped gas), which could act via the vagus nerve, but that's not the only cause. I am taking sodium bicarbonate (the chemical name for baking soda) long-term for perceived acidosis.

Just found a site that analyses research on supplements, and it has a huge amount of info on sod bic.

It may not act fast.

Radio

I stop consuming bake goods and the brain fog i had my whole life was gone! (Poof) ;)

Seven7

Seven
So I suffer from horrible pain, and I was told to use baking soda, But never worked UNTIL NOW. So I was reading how some people use baking soda every 2 hours when they had the flu.

Long story short, I made a test how to take baking soda every 2h hours until the pain was gone (then lower to twice a day) and BEST THING ever. The very latic acid intolerable pain is finally under control. I know you cannot overdo Added(the baking soda) since you can get too alkalized and one has to be careful but for now BINGOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Last edited:

MeSci

I know you cannot overdo since you cannot get too alkalized

Are you sure about this? Glad something is helping anyway. I sometimes get an energy boost from sodium bicarbonate, but not always. I don't remember any effect on cognition, but would guess that it would improve along with physical energy - when that improves.

So I suffer from horrible pain, and I was told to use baking soda, But never worked UNTIL NOW. So I was reading how some people use baking soda every 2 hours when they had the flu.

Long story short, I made a test how to take baking soda every 2h hours until the

Long story short, I made a test how to take baking soda every 2h hours until the pain was gone (then lower to twice a day) and BEST THING ever. The very latic acid intolerable pain is finally under control. I know you cannot overdo since you cannot get too alkalized and one has to be careful but for now BINGOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I have read , and experienced first hand, that if our body becomes too alkaline it can encourage candida growth.

So many times, in our wish to improve, we innocently create a new problem.

Seven7

Seven
Sorry All I fixed the mistake, You can get too alkalinized and yes you can foster bad stuff in the gut if you over do. In the mean while I am working on my gut also so I am not too worried about that part, I am being careful not to overdo.

lizw118

I have tried baking soda and had a strange effect where one day I have taken it I felt great, then the next day I felt really tired and brain fogged. I am not sure why that is. Should I keep taking it? A few years ago a test showed that I have very high D-lactate levels in my gut. So maybe I have some acidosis and the baking soda is helping.

MeSci

I have tried baking soda and had a strange effect where one day I have taken it I felt great, then the next day I felt really tired and brain fogged. I am not sure why that is. Should I keep taking it? A few years ago a test showed that I have very high D-lactate levels in my gut. So maybe I have some acidosis and the baking soda is helping.

@alex3619 thinks that we tend to be too acidic after/during exertion and too alkaline at rest. Correct me if I have paraphrased you incorrectly, Alex!

I have tried going without sodium bicarbonate for 2 periods since starting it, and both times I got worse. Recently I forgot a dose and felt really bad: weak, low mood, etc. Took it when I remembered, and felt much better almost immediately.

But it will probably depend on your activity, diet, etc.

lizw118

@alex3619 thinks that we tend to be too acidic after/during exertion and too alkaline at rest. Correct me if I have paraphrased you incorrectly, Alex!

I have tried going without sodium bicarbonate for 2 periods since starting it, and both times I got worse. Recently I forgot a dose and felt really bad: weak, low mood, etc. Took it when I remembered, and felt much better almost immediately.

But it will probably depend on your activity, diet, etc.

Yes, I read the info that Alex posted which I found very interesting. I wonder, though, if my issue stems from D-lactate in the gut, is that a different issue than lactate that results from cell metabolism issues, which might account for PEM (i don't have that symptom). If the causes of high acidity are different, maybe in my own case, and maybe yours, we do not vary in terms of acidity at rest as much. However, as I said, I do feel really tired today so I don't know what's going on.

I've been drinking Club Soda(sodium bicarbonate), but not for brain fog...I take it for paresthesia/restless leg syndrome and it really seems to be helping.

MeSci

Yes, I read the info that Alex posted which I found very interesting. I wonder, though, if my issue stems from D-lactate in the gut, is that a different issue than lactate that results from cell metabolism issues, which might account for PEM (i don't have that symptom). If the causes of high acidity are different, maybe in my own case, and maybe yours, we do not vary in terms of acidity at rest as much. However, as I said, I do feel really tired today so I don't know what's going on.

There are a couple of threads on d-lactic acidosis:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/d-lactic-acidosis-in-cfs.6782/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-the-same-symptoms-as-d-lactic-acidosis.8159/