• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Kaufman or Kenny De Meirleir?

Mary

Moderator Resource
Does anyone know of any major differences between them in terms of testing, treatment, etc.?

I know that Dr. Kauman's initial visit is close to $500, and I was told they will be raising this very soon to around $525. I'm going to e-mail Dr. De Meirleir's asst to get the cost for a visit to him in Reno.

I am concerned about the cost of lab tests. I'm on Medicare, which does cover a lot of lab work, but I have no idea if it covers any of these doctors' testing. I believe that a doctor can refuse to accept Medicare for medical treatment, but still have his labs covered - does anyone know if this is true or not?

I know @Mouse girl asked a similar question about Medicare paying for labs last March, but I didn't see where anyone really knew the answer.

Besides the costs, I would be very interested in anything pertaining to differences between the two doctors re testing and treatment etc. Thanks!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I believe that a doctor can refuse to accept Medicare for medical treatment, but still have his labs covered - does anyone know if this is true or not?
Yes this is true. I see De Meirleir and some of my labs are covered and some aren't, though he does not participate in Medicare himself.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Yes this is true. I see De Meirleir and some of my labs are covered and some aren't, though he does not participate in Medicare himself.

Thanks, Sushi - that's very good to hear! Can you give me an idea of (however rough) of what you have had to pay out-of-pocket for his labs?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Can you give me an idea of (however rough) of what you have had to pay out-of-pocket for his labs?
It varies a lot from patient to patient. The factors involved might be easier to discuss in a chat or conversation.

He doesn't have a regular schedule there--every few months. Otherwise we use telephone consults.

Hmmm...I'll have to see what his schedule is like. Reno is about an hour shorter (driving time) vs. San Jose.

Do I contact him via the phone number listed on his Himmunitas website or does he have a U.S. number as well?