• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Insomnia after cooking dinner?

What makes more sense as a cause for insomnia?

• Eating food

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prepping and cooking food

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Alternate explanation, posted below

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Strawberry

I cooked/ate a light dinner last night, and then was up from 1 am to 4:30 am achy and uncomfortable. I am trying to figure out the cause, and am wondering if others have had this issue? Is it from eating/digesting the food? Or is it the effort from prep and cooking?

I have over done it regularly these last few months, and haven't had any energy for cooking. So I don't often eat dinner, and if I do, it is usually something simple like all ready cooked meatballs prepared and individually frozen. Just microwave 2 or 3. Or maybe a slice of cheese or two. Or leftovers. And overall I have been sleeping through the night lately, say 5 out of 7 nights per week.

But last night I was extremely hungry, and decided to stir fry some veggies that were close to going bad. Broccoli, mushrooms, and onions, a little salt. Nothing major, but maybe standing/sitting for 3 to 5 minutes overall? And I only ate maybe a cup and a half, not much.

Which would make more sense for the achy fidgety insomnia? Eating food? Or the effort to cook?

(ps, I normally know the reason for my insomnia, but this achy feeling that makes it difficult to sleep I have never pinned down as I don't get it often)

Effi

@Strawberry if you usually eat meatballs or cheese for dinner I'd say it's not from digestion. Stirfried vegetables are easier to digest than protein imo.

What you describe sounds like that wired but tired feeling that I get a lot, mainly after exertion. So I vote for that one. ;)

I haven't noticed any specific foods causing insomnia for me. Also, on days that I over do it I usually sleep good that night and then usually the following night is when the insomnia acts up....but maybe you are affected sooner after exertion??

Maybe one of the veggies didn't agree with your stomach. Do you have digestive issues?

Gondwanaland

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
I cooked/ate a light dinner last night, and then was up from 1 am to 4:30 am achy and uncomfortable. I am trying to figure out the cause, and am wondering if others have had this issue? Is it from eating/digesting the food? Or is it the effort from prep and cooking?

I have over done it regularly these last few months, and haven't had any energy for cooking. So I don't often eat dinner, and if I do, it is usually something simple like all ready cooked meatballs prepared and individually frozen. Just microwave 2 or 3. Or maybe a slice of cheese or two. Or leftovers. And overall I have been sleeping through the night lately, say 5 out of 7 nights per week.

But last night I was extremely hungry, and decided to stir fry some veggies that were close to going bad. Broccoli, mushrooms, and onions, a little salt. Nothing major, but maybe standing/sitting for 3 to 5 minutes overall? And I only ate maybe a cup and a half, not much.

Which would make more sense for the achy fidgety insomnia? Eating food? Or the effort to cook?

(ps, I normally know the reason for my insomnia, but this achy feeling that makes it difficult to sleep I have never pinned down as I don't get it often)

Did you use soy sauce? Anything with MSG gives me severe insomnia, similar to what you had.

One other possibility might be low potassium - when my potassium is low, my muscles ache, particularly in the middle of the night. I learned I needed to supplement potassium after starting Freddd's protocol and I generally stay on top of it (I need a lot of potassium), but once in awhile I don't get enough and I will be achy in the middle of the night, and extra tired in the morning.

Strawberry

What you describe sounds like that wired but tired feeling that I get a lot, mainly after exertion. So I vote for that one. ;)
I have often wondered if that is what people mean by wired but tired. That definitely could be a possibility.

@AaroninOregon I didn't have stomach issues at all last night, although I probably WAS asking for some trouble with onions and old mushrooms! My issue was this achy fidgety sensation.

@Gondwanaland That is definitely something I need to try to keep in mind to see if it causes sleep issues. I really don't eat anything from the "very high" list, but definitely the high list I do/did.

@Mary No I definitely was MSG free last night, and my potassium should have been good as I had a liter of salt water (which is actually lower salt mix with potassium and other minerals) yesterday, so I should have been good? But that made me curious if this Mexican restaurant that always makes it near impossible to fall asleep after eating at might use MSG! I do try to avoid MSG.

The good news is that I have a little bit left over, so I can just heat that up tonight. If I have no issues, then just that little amount of energy spent could be the culprit. Not the veggie dinner. This is such trial and error, it may be a while before I know for sure.

Mary

Moderator Resource
But that made me curious if this Mexican restaurant that always makes it near impossible to fall asleep after eating at might use MSG! I do try to avoid MSG.

It took me a long time to realize that I was sensitive to MSG - after having bad insomnia after eating at a Thai restaurant. I don't eat out a lot and it took a long time to make the connection, because I never had this problem when younger. I don't usually associate MSG with Mexican restaurants, but it's definitely a possibility!

GypsyGirl

@Strawberry

I've noticed that if I do anything physical after about 7pm, I get wired/tired and insomnia kicks in. Sometimes I see a correlation to eating too late, but mostly for me, I think it has to do with overstimulation. My nervous system kicks into overdrive and I can't calm down/come down (very internal/I appear fine to other people).

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
@Strawberry

I've noticed that if I do anything physical after about 7pm, I get wired/tired and insomnia kicks in. Sometimes I see a correlation to eating too late, but mostly for me, I think it has to do with overstimulation. My nervous system kicks into overdrive and I can't calm down/come down (very internal/I appear fine to other people).

I agree. Cooking, believe it or not, is an intensive multitasking exercise which is just the sort of thing to lead to mental overload. What was trivial pre-ME becomes something that will ramp your nervous system up for hours on end. That's my experience anyway!