• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

benzodiazepine induced chronic fatigue

So I was reading a thread here the other day there was some discussion of the cause of CFS(cant remember which thread). Some people saying their onset was like that of a virus.

So what would CFS caused by benzodiazepine use say about my chronic fatigue? CNS damage? Could I have had a dormant virus that proliferated during my sickness of benzo withdrawal?

I dont think Ive read of anyone else here who's CFS came about from benzo use/withdrawal. But I do know when I was on the benzo withdrawal forums there were many that ended up with CFS.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I was on benzo forums (benzobuddies and another now defunct one) for over a year during my taper of Klonopin around 2009.

I know many had protracted withdrawal, were in pain, couldn't sleep, had tinitius, cray stuff and were very sick. I didn't sleep more than 2 hours a night for almost a year.

I don't remember anyone else who there who had CFS or "got" it from benzos or withdrawal. Not saying it can't happen, I just never heard it before.

??? Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of benzo withdrawal. The majority of people with protracted withdrawal have fatigue. You can type "benzo withdrawal chronic fatigue" into google and get many threads/articles relating to it. Somehow this information eluded you?

http://www.benzosupport.org/mary.htm

Now you know two people that got CFS from benzo use/withdrawal.

SOC

??? Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of benzo withdrawal. The majority of people with protracted withdrawal have fatigue. You can type "benzo withdrawal chronic fatigue" into google and get many threads/articles relating to it. Somehow this information eluded you?

ME/CFS is not fatigue. Fatigue, even chronic fatigue, can be caused by all sorts of things. That's not the same thing as the neuroimmune illness ME/CFS. It may be common to get chronic fatigue (the symptom) from benzo withdrawal. That does not mean those people developed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (the disease).

ME/CFS is not fatigue. Fatigue, even chronic fatigue, can be caused by all sorts of things. That's not the same thing as the neuroimmune illness ME/CFS. It may be common to get chronic fatigue (the symptom) from benzo withdrawal. That does not mean those people developed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (the disease).

Well when fatigue remains long after the protracted withdrawal period, it's safe to say those people have chronic fatigue syndrome. I along with a number of others who have withdrawn from benzos have experienced this. I withdrew from benzos 11 years ago, protracted withdrawal is termed for symptoms that last up to 5 years.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Well when fatigue remains long after the protracted withdrawal period, it's safe to say those people have chronic fatigue syndrome. I along with a number of others who have withdrawn from benzos have experienced this. I withdrew from benzos 11 years ago, protracted withdrawal is termed for symptoms that last up to 5 years.

What @SOC is trying to say is that CFS(Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) is not chronic fatigue. One is a distinct disease, the other is a symptom of many health issues.

Here is the CCC ( Canadian Case Criteria)considered by many to be the gold standard for this illness
fatigue** is only one of a multitude of symptoms. It is also known as ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis ) or ME/cfs or CFIDS(Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome) or SEIDS (Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease)

** the "fatigue" in ME/cfs is not like typical fatigue, so I use that word associated w/ the disease this forum is set up for w/ some trepidation.

Last edited:
I already know of the distinct difference. How does this change my circumstances? Because I was on a drug which fatigue is a side effect, and withdrawal/protracted withdrawal is a symptom. That means I can no longer qualify for a CFS diagnosis ever?

What difference does it make if that was my onset, and yours was from the stress of tearing a hemorrhoid after a big shit.

I already know of the distinct difference. How does this change my circumstances? Because I was on a drug which fatigue is a side effect, and withdrawal/protracted withdrawal is a symptom. That means I can no longer qualify for a CFS diagnosis ever?
The cause doesn't matter. The symptoms do. Chronic fatigue is very much insufficient grounds upon which to diagnose ME/CFS.

Dont worry Valentijijn, I have ample symptoms to get your juices flowing.
Are we supposed to guess what they are? All you are saying is that you got chronic fatigue after taking a certain drug. Since chronic fatigue is not ME/CFS, nor even an important symptom of it, blaming that drug for causing chronic fatigue seems pretty irrelevant to ME/CFS.

If you want people to take the things you aren't saying into account, it's best to actually say them. And maybe not be so snippy when people take your posts at face value.

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.

As @Valentijn said, no need to be snippy. Nothing has eluded me.

I said was when I was on the boards and going through titration, I didn't know anyone who was diagnosed with CFS because of the benzo. People I knew in protracted withdrawal, over a year or two had the symptoms I mentioned.

I also said, that all because I hadn't heard of it doesn't mean it can't happen, although I have my doubts. In fact, I still doubt I know even one person who has CFS/ME from benzo withdrawal.

@Valentijn is fatigue 10 years after benzo withdrawal a diagnostic criteria for CFS/ME?