• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tryptophan neuroinflammation article

PeterPositive

Wouldn't one notice an increase in negative symptoms if the tryptophan was taking the wrong pathway?
I have been using 500-1000mg/day of L-tryptophan for the past 6 months without noticeable side effects, so I'd presume it's not causing any harm.

I don't have experience with melatonin supplements, and 5HTP doesn't do good things for me, so I can't help much on that.

cheers

liverock

I have also found taking 1,000mg of tryptophan just before going to bed to improve sleep and mood the following day. Its probably only a small subset of PWME who are having problems
with tryptophan.

john66

Ray Peat writes about tryptophan and it's effects on the body. He also claims fish oils and put a ' s are bad. Lots of youtube info as well.

SwanRonson

I've honestly never known what to do with Ray Peat. He seems to know his stuff. But it's so contrarian at certain points combined with being so voluminous that it's almost impossible (for me) to critique.

I think the tryptophan-neuroinflammation/fibromyalgia connection has an awfully strong familiarity with the tryptophan disaster of 1989 resulting in eosinophilia myalgia syndrome, and interestingly, even pure tryptophan supplements have been tied to this disorder and other problems - I'm new here so I can't post a link but google to read a scholarly article on that "L Tryptophan: The Truth About The FDA Tryptophan Recall Of 1989"

SwanRonson

In following up on what Ray peat said yesterday he mentioned the same thing about the recall. What he had said makes a lot of sense that isolating amino acids can have a radical effect on the brain. Thanks for the link.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...-kynurenine-pathway-in-fibromalgia-and-mecfs/

After reading the above post by Cort, I'm wondering if supplemental tryptophan is a bad idea. I've been supplementing it in small amounts lately (500mg once daily) just seeing if it helps with gut motility. If it's being converted to neurotoxins then it seems best to supplement melatonin and seratonin(via 5htp) directly. Any thoughts?

Just to say that since finding out about the kynurenine issue, and having low mood, I started supplementing 5-HTP and it improved my mood (in a few weeks) with no apparent ill effects. I'm also fine with melatonin.

john66

I tthink Rey is quite a few pay grades headof me. scieohnce and medicine to separate fieldsscience

natasa778

I don't have experience with melatonin supplements, and 5HTP doesn't do good things for me, so I can't help much on that.

cheers

I've found 5htp to be Very dose-sensitive, with massive difference in effects between different dosages, as in bottle dosage instructions led to bad mood swings, halving the dose = lovely calming effect with no negatives.

liverock

Wouldn't one notice an increase in negative symptoms if the tryptophan was taking the wrong pathway?
I have been using 500-1000mg/day of L-tryptophan for the past 6 months without noticeable side effects, so I'd presume it's not causing any harm.

cheers

It might take time for side effects to emerge. Its best not to take it for more than a month or so with vitamin B6 which can help getting rid of metabolites. I only take it for short periods when having sleep problems.

Tryptophan can cause some serious side effects if taken for a long time..

http://www.supplements-and-health.com/tryptophan-side-effects.html

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?