• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unbelievable Energy Rush/Brain Fog Clear from A Particular Electrolyte Combination

Changexpert

My day is usually over after a workout session. I am so exhausted by the exertion to a point where I do not have motivation to do anything for the rest of the day. All I hope after a workout session is for the day to be over. Electrolyte drinks usually mitigates this symptom and the brand I have been using is VItalyte (powder). A couple of months ago, I bought another electrolyte called Nuun, but found the tablet a bit harder to use than the powder, so I did not use it consistently.

Usually, when I ingest Nuun, I would mix it with 240 ml of water and then drink the mixture. However, I find this to be extremely inconvenient because it leaves weird taste in the water bottle that lasts for a few days. So instead of mixing the tablet with water, I popped the tablet in my mouth and let it dissolve. Immediately, I could feel a lot of energy surging and post-exertion symptoms cleared away immediately. I am not sure how long the energy is going to last, which I will update later. I was so surprised by the effect that I read the ingredient very carefully, but it was nothing special that I did not know of. The ingredients are listed below:

sodium 359mg (14%)
potassium 97mg (2%)
total carb 1g, sugar 0g
protein 0g
vitamin c 38mg (62%)
riboflavin .5mg (30%)
calcium 13mg (2%)
magnesium 25mg (6%)

ingredients:
citric acid, sorbitol, sodium bicarbonate, sodium carbonate, potassium bicarbonate, natural flavors, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, polyethylene glycol, acesulfame potassium, ascorbic acid, calcium carbonate, vegetable juice color, magnesium oxide, riboflavin 5-phosphate sodium

It does have B2 and R5P (active form of B2) which helps me with neurotransmitter metabolism. However, I take R5P in much higher doses in subligual form, but the immediate effect of this electrolyte tablet was MUCH STRONGER than the supplement. Also, potassium supplements (gluconate, citrate) or potassium from food never have any effect like this. Same for other minerals including calcium, magnesium, and sodium.

This makes me wonder if there's certain proportion of supplements we have to take at the same time to make them absorb better. Also, the method of ingestion and the form of supplements are very important. Please note that I never got a surge of energy when I drank the mixture of water+Nuun in the past. Surge of energy only appeared when I put the whole tablet in my mouth (not under the tongue), similar to the way I would ingest sublingual supplements (under the tongue). Similar to the ancient remedy that was found, which could be found on this post, there must be a "secret" to taking the right compounds, amount, and form of nutrition in the right manner.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just wanted to comment that I use Nuun and it leaves an altered taste in my mouth. Wish I had figured that out before I bought more.

It didn't used to do that, it's a recent thing. I am using it more so?

I wonder how safe it is to just suck on it?

Critterina

I don't use anything with acesulfame potassium if I can help it.

It's possible that mucous membrane absorption is helping something get into you that gets destroyed in the acidic environment in the stomach, even diluted with water.

picante

ingredients:
citric acid, sorbitol, sodium bicarbonate, sodium carbonate, potassium bicarbonate, natural flavors, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, polyethylene glycol, acesulfame potassium, ascorbic acid, calcium carbonate, vegetable juice color, magnesium oxide, riboflavin 5-phosphate sodium

Do you usually take Mg in the sulfate form? Perhaps you need the sulfate (I just came from your more recent thread on sulfur/sulfate).

Natural flavors may be unbound glutamic acid. That might give you an energy surge.

Just an aside: Sorbitol is horrid for your gut health if you have SIBO. It will really feed those beasties.

alex3619

It's possible that mucous membrane absorption is helping something get into you that gets destroyed in the acidic environment in the stomach, even diluted with water.
That is my guess also. But there is also the consideration that it might work faster. Some things are not about total absorption, but peak absorption. It might trigger something.

This can be tested by holding the water solution in the mouth for a longer time to see if it works better, rather than just swallowing.