• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pregame infusion drinking game

GONZ0hunter

Anyone get ivig infusions?

I'm prehydrating right now and think if I approach this like a frat party I can make it easier.

So I need some ideas...

Drink every time some one gets tazed on cops
Drink every time the dude cusses on lebowski

Ummmm

SOC

Anyone get ivig infusions?

I'm prehydrating right now and think if I approach this like a frat party I can make it easier.

So I need some ideas...

Drink every time some one gets tazed on cops
Drink every time the dude cusses on lebowski

Ummmm
Prehydrating? I just started IVIG and no one mentioned prehydrating to me. But then, I'm always fighting to stay hydrated, so I can't imagine pushing even more fluids. Still, since I need to constantly be aware of hydration, I'm finding your suggestions quite useful in the general way. :p I have my own little tricks that will be completely useless to anyone who is not working as a tutor, so I'm no help.

C'mon folks, how about some more suggestions? ;)

GONZ0hunter

Wait no one told you to prehydrating? Their are a bunch of reasons, easier vein access, keeps headaches away, etc

You should find a new dr. Hahahah jk

They said I should be drinking something with a bunch of electrolyte (Gatorade, power aide, with no sugar) then water.

Until I pee clear every hour.

I've done 4-5 infusions. I get them every 3 weeks for selective ige subclass 3 w no uptick to a vaccine challenge. You can read my story in a blog on here.

Do you get a headache? It makes me really tired and migraines for 4-6 days. I use abortives to help.

Do you have your own room or is it in a big room?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 4

SOC

You should find a new dr. Hahahah jk
Not a chance! My guy is amazing, especially for a doctor around here. I ain't letting go of him for nothin'. :p

They said I should be drinking something with a bunch of electrolyte (Gatorade, power aide, with no sugar) then water.

Until I pee clear every hour.
Ah, I do that routinely, so no need to tell me to do it, I suppose. :D

Do you get a headache? It makes me really tired and migraines for 4-6 days.
I've only had one infusion at 40% dose (iirc) with only the very mildest headache so far -- hardly even worth mentioning. I'm not prone to headaches, much less migraines, so that may be helping me here.

My next infusion, in 11 days, is supposed to be full dose. We'll see if I have more side effects from that.

Do you have your own room or is it in a big room?
I had my own room, although most people getting infusions were in a big room. Maybe it was because it was my first infusion so they wanted me in a private room in case I had bad side effects...?

Misfit Toy

I was told to drink lots and lots of water and Gatorade. Even with that I got sick so they added saline before and after IVIG.

With Privigen I had a wicked migraine and I sweat a lot.

With Hizentra- couldn't get out of bed....heart flying, went to ER.

With Gammaguard, had to have prednisone with infusions and liquids along with Benadryl. Many have to do this.

Some take zofran.

I was always wiped the next day after IVIG.

GONZ0hunter

@Valentijn -I couldn't tolerate IGG. I had reactions every time that lasted for weeks. I hated the Gatorade and I agree with you. It's pure sugar.

Gatorade and power aide have 0 sugar options. I use that and then water.

I was with a nutritionist who said tomato juice has 4 times the electrolyte Gatorade has. Too bad it taste like garbage.

Zofran causes me to have massive migraines, haha.

Sorry you had a hard time

Misfit Toy

That's so funny that Zofran causes migraines...I know you are right. They gave it to me in the ER for a migraine and my migraine got worse and I was on the toilet the whole day...from Zofran! Yup. Effed up body chemistry I got going on.

Thanks, Gonz,...it sucks because I really need IGG.

SOC

Gatorade and power aide have 0 sugar options. I use that and then water.
Maybe, but Gatorade doesn't begin to contain a decent balance of electrolytes, nor does it have much of what it does have. It's more like drinking a Coke with some extra sodium (which one can easily get in the diet if one doesn't already get more than enough) and a touch of potassium, but nowhere near enough. Where's the calcium? Where's the magnesium?

Gatorade was originally designed to counter sodium loss from vigorous exercise, not to provide balanced electrolytes for hydration. A great marketing plan has convinced many people that it's a valuable hydration aide, but it isn't. It's sugar and sodium, not balanced with other necessary electrolytes.

A Coke and a bag of potato chips is about the electrolyte equivalent of Gatorade. And tastes a lot better, imo. ;)

Check out Nuun tablets, Power Pak electrolyte powder, or ElectroMix. They're not just sodium and sweetener.

GONZ0hunter

That's so funny that Zofran causes migraines...I know you are right. They gave it to me in the ER for a migraine and my migraine got worse and I was on the toilet the whole day...from Zofran! Yup. Effed up body chemistry I got going on.

Thanks, Gonz,...it sucks because I really need IGG.

I am the 6 month before you see positive results, but it has already squashed my constant sinus infections.

The really weird thing is I have complex apnea and haven't dreamt since I got sick. Since starting infusions I am dreaming major and my Apneas are spiking.

Coincidence? Probably

GONZ0hunter

Maybe, but Gatorade doesn't begin to contain a decent balance of electrolytes, nor does it have much of what it does have. It's more like drinking a Coke with some extra sodium (which one can easily get in the diet if one doesn't already get more than enough) and a touch of potassium, but nowhere near enough. Where's the calcium? Where's the magnesium?

Gatorade was originally designed to counter sodium loss from vigorous exercise, not to provide balanced electrolytes for hydration. A great marketing plan has convinced many people that it's a valuable hydration aide, but it isn't. It's sugar and sodium, not balanced with other necessary electrolytes.

A Coke and a bag of potato chips is about the electrolyte equivalent of Gatorade. And tastes a lot better, imo. ;)

Check out Nuun tablets, Power Pak electrolyte powder, or ElectroMix. They're not just sodium and sweetener.

You need to watch a Gatorade commercial. Athletes use it all the time while playing professional sports. They wouldn't lie.

Thanks for the tip,

Misfit Toy

Well, the good news is...they are helping your infections. I have seen my other CVID friends become much better due to IVIG or IGG...I really hope it works for you and perhaps your apnea will let up. It takes time and for the body to adjust.