• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Going to the Fair

WoolPippi

today I'm going to the Farm- and Countryfair. I'm a hostess in the wool tent where we promote knitting. It's one of the three outings I do each year.

We have a table with a table cloth and tea and sweets and we sit there all day, knitting and chatting. Around us are different breed of sheep and stalls with yarn.

The thing is: I cannot sit up straigth for long. I'm not well at all these months.

My solution: To bring my stretcher and a bunch of fleeces and lie there, next to the table. Let them stare. This how I roll. I want my wool day.

(and my ear mufflers and lots of water and salt and my own snacks and handknit socks)

WoolPippi

PS I look aweful. My skin is pimples because my liver has a hard time removing waste. And I cut my own hair the other day - no way am I spilling precious energy at a hairdresser with all their noise and soaps- but I was tired and I messed it up. Vissibly messed it up.

But I'm still going. A cute knitted cap wil hopefully distract.
Not many people actually look at other people's hair, I'm thinking. Hoping.

rosie26

Enjoy your day @WoolPippi .Good idea to take the stretcher. I find when I lie down it is so much harder to talk. So I probably would rest mostly lying down and then sit up to talk after awhile :D How are you with talking lying down?

leela

I think I remember a photo of you from last year's fair! Yay you for finding solutions to go.
Lucky you're in the knitting booth as you can get away with swaddling yourself in yarn and knitted items!
You can be there as a horizontal representative of the benefits of Rest--which is highly underrated in
the so-called healthy population! Embassadress of Rest, reclining as relaxation itself, an example to all
on how to lie back like a Queen and chill out.

WoolPippi

Enjoy your day @WoolPippi .Good idea to take the stretcher. I find when I lie down it is so much harder to talk. So I probably would rest mostly lying down and then sit up to talk after awhile :D How are you with talking lying down?
I have the opposite: when I lay down my blood pressure levels and I get more oxygen in the brain (or something).
I become quite the chatterbox lying down!

It's my go to solution whenever I receive an unexpected gift :alien: flop to the ground and after a few seconds start chatting.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Reclining on fleeces sounds like it might be fun, if one were not forced to do. Enjoy your wool day!
Are you competing? Should I hope that you win a trophy? :trophy:

Valentijn

And I cut my own hair the other day - no way am I spilling precious energy at a hairdresser with all their noise and soaps- but I was tired and I messed it up. Vissibly messed it up.

But I'm still going. A cute knitted cap wil hopefully distract.
Not many people actually look at other people's hair, I'm thinking. Hoping.
Maybe you can ask one of the women there to straighten it out for you :p

WoolPippi

Embassadress of Rest, reclining as relaxation itself, an example to all
on how to lie back like a Queen and chill out.
fair2015_medium2.jpg

My knitting friends were cool with it and chatted with me. That's my mug with salted water next to me.
Actually, pretty much all stuff you see is mine: the blue cardigan and the pillow and yarn on the chair, the colourful bag on wheels, the weaving loom, the shawl, the table cloth and the see through box with the funny little suitcase in it. Also my clogs. Handspun socks on my feet.
I made that skirt from curtain fabric from IKEA. It's just a rectangular wrapped around me and taken in at the top. Sturdy fabric, easy to wear.

Visitors were surprised when they saw me. We laughed when I told them knitting is a relaxing hobby.

(I also got many remarks such as "pooh pooh, you are taking things easy! I wish I had your leisure." but I only nodded to those people and thought slightly snarkilish: "be careful what you wish for")
(in a way it is nice to be judged quickly and shallow just on how I appear, just like a regular healthy person)

Effi

PS I look aweful. My skin is pimples because my liver has a hard time removing waste. And I cut my own hair the other day - no way am I spilling precious energy at a hairdresser with all their noise and soaps- but I was tired and I messed it up. Vissibly messed it up.
@WoolPippi that looks fun! oh and btw you AND your hair look nothing like you described earlier! (I'm actually dreading going to the hair dresser myself, so I could use some tips about how you cut your own hair :redface: )

worldbackwards

You look fine. Perhaps you compare better when everyone around you is collecting a pension. :)

Kati

Patient in training
fair2015_medium2.jpg

My knitting friends were cool with it and chatted with me. That's my mug with salted water next to me.
Actually, pretty much all stuff you see is mine: the blue cardigan and the pillow and yarn on the chair, the colourful bag on wheels, the weaving loom, the shawl, the table cloth and the see through box with the funny little suitcase in it. Also my clogs. Handspun socks on my feet.
I made that skirt from curtain fabric from IKEA. It's just a rectangular wrapped around me and taken in at the top. Sturdy fabric, easy to wear.

Visitors were surprised when they saw me. We laughed when I told them knitting is a relaxing hobby.

(I also got many remarks such as "pooh pooh, you are taking things easy! I wish I had your leisure." but I only nodded to those people and thought slightly snarkilish: "be careful what you wish for")
(in a way it is nice to be judged quickly and shallow just on how I appear, just like a regular healthy person)
Way to go, @WoolPippi it sounds like it was a huge success! I'm very happy for you. i hope you will not be paying the price.