• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antibiotic treatment for chronic headache

joe12

I have been suffering from a chronic headache disorder called new daily persistent headache, its been over six years of constant pain in the nasal and ophthalmic area, likely from some kind of nerve damage. The pain is very resistant to treatment. I tried to get antiviral treatment but the doctor refused without positive testing, which came back negative for zoster, epstein-barr, and citamegalovirus.

In my case I think its due to some kind of inflammatory problem or infection. One of the resulting problems is the development of eye floaters without an obvious cause, they have increased recently and are starting to significantly interfere with my vision. I also have a lot of photophobia. One of the things that happened after the headache started was that I stopped generating purulent mucus on the nose, I developed hashimotos, and had a rheumatic fever mark on my neck.

I would like to make a test with a good antibiotic combo/protocol that could get rid of difficult to treat bacteria. I cannot afford zyvox thou. I would like to have recommendations for this.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
If you think its some sort of bacterial infection look into beg nasal spray which is an antibiotic combo spray which can help with resistant infections. I would also look at taking a broad spectrum oral abx like augmentin or bactrim.

If its bacterial the above should have some effect?

Be skeptical of being negative to those viral infections as many drs can just say they are a past infection but really they cant tell if its reactivating. Other immune tests and a clinical examination can give a clue and a treatment trial
Of antivirals is the only way to know. If possible atleast get viral titres tested and nk function test, these can atleast give an idea if its possible they are reactivating .

RCFSNP

Nansy, CRNP
Hi Joe, I am a nurse practitioner. I came down with CFS 7 months ago. So, it is easy to parse out which symptoms are caused by CFS: the constant frontal headache and the constant dripping nose are caused, Dr. Baraniuck explained, by the CFS; not an infection. As a participant in his study at Georgetown University I had time to ask him all my questions. So comforting to be able to talk to a leader in CFS research and get answers. Nansy

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@RCFSNP as a newbie to the ME/CFS community you will find many different answers to the same questions and different physicians who specialize in treating us will also have differing opinions.

IMO, 20 plus years in, no one can be absolutely certain someone's symptoms are 100% because of their CFS and not any number of other things, including infections. Certainly not based on one study. There is a subset of patients, myself and @heapsreal (can't think of anyone else off the top of my head) that absolutely have a viral and infectious component to our disease which we treat with AVs and ABX.

Hunt around the forum you'll be shocked out how many different issues people have and all the things we try in the hopes of getting symptom relief. There's a huge forum just on treatments.

@joe12 - I got a chronic headache with my ME. If I take three grams of fish oil throughout the day (not fish liver oil), it stays away, starting about 24 hours after the first dose. When I forget to take it for a day or so, the headache comes back. The omega 3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA) in fish oil are supposed to work as an anti-inflammatory, so it might be worth a try for your headache.

rosie26

Hi Joe, I am a nurse practitioner. I came down with CFS 7 months ago. So, it is easy to parse out which symptoms are caused by CFS: the constant frontal headache and the constant dripping nose are caused, Dr. Baraniuck explained, by the CFS; not an infection. As a participant in his study at Georgetown University I had time to ask him all my questions. So comforting to be able to talk to a leader in CFS research and get answers. Nansy
I had the annoying constant dripping nose in the mild years of ME and then things changed abruptly at severe onset.
Are you sure it's not intracranial hypertension?
And I am sure I had that too. My skull was sore.

I only started taking fish oils around my 8 year, it does help a bit. Better than nothing.