• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"One of the best treatments—exercise—is diligently avoided by many people with CFS."

Aurator

It would be nice if someone with some clout over there in the US could communicate with these morons and let them know how outdated and potentially damaging their simple-minded advice is.
http://www.acefitness.org/fitness-fact-article/2606/work-out-chronic-fatigue/
"research suggests that exercise helps improve fatigue, functional status and fitness."
"People with CFS feel limited to enjoy the benefits of an active life. It won’t be easy to get started, but once you do you may be surprised how daily exercise can help you to reclaim your life."

Sasha

Fine, thank you
It would be nice if someone with some clout over there in the US could communicate with these morons and let them know how outdated and potentially damaging their simple-minded advice is.
http://www.acefitness.org/fitness-fact-article/2606/work-out-chronic-fatigue/
"research suggests that exercise helps improve fatigue, functional status and fitness."
"People with CFS feel limited to enjoy the benefits of an active life. It won’t be easy to get started, but once you do you may be surprised how daily exercise can help you to reclaim your life."

The article takes comments... citing the IOM report should do it.

Effi

Sounds as though they haven't had a real-life lawsuit yet, either.

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/research-studies/ said:
As part of our mission to protect people against unsafe and ineffective fitness products and trends, ACE often commissions independent, third-party research studies from major universities across the country. In some cases, those studies have prompted action by the Federal Trade Commission against several companies making false claims.

:lol:

msf

I think these guys (and all those stupid doctors) think they have discovered anti-energy - before the work out you so tired you can't do anything, and then you expend all the energy you don't have, and then after the work out you're bouncing off the walls with all that anti-energy!

Or they could just be morons.

Effi

I vote morons! :meh:

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitness-fact-article/26/work-out-chronic-fatigue/ said:
Many people with CFS claim that they are too tired to exercise. Measurements of strength, exercise capacity and muscle function, however, suggest that CFS patients are not much weaker than the controls (people without CFS) they are compared to in research studies. This suggests that their capacity to exercise is greater than they may perceive. But telling someone who feels unable to get out of bed to exercise is probably an exercise in futility.

'Once you’ve decided to start an exercise program, talk with your physician. Chances are he or she will give you the go ahead and ample encouragemen'

Ohhh how right they are!! :cautious:

Damn it, i clicked on the link, now i've got a weird, snarling, screwed up face that won't correct itself.

Effi

ugh I am just so sick of this nonsense we can't get rid of! and it keeps on coming from everywhere... I just saw my former doctor (severe case of BPS) published a book called: 'Being healthy is fun!' Obviously her target audience is cfs, fm, ibs, burn-out (cause it's all the same thing, isn't it?). Being healthy is fun. Don't I know it. :meh: