• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Kombucha & Water Kefir - too "vinegary" for me, any suggestions?

Bansaw

I tried raw milk kefir too. I don' think my body appreciates dairy either.

When I try water kefir and kombucha , I do seem to get a reaction to the vinegar (or sugar content).
I think its the vinegar since I do ferment kefir/kombucha until the sugar has pretty much converted (I have Ph strips to measure where I am). I don't know if my methylation snps are defining how I react to vinegars?

I know I get sugar reactions with other stuff like ice cream/cookies etc. And I get cafeine reactions too.

I am toying with the idea of simply eating the water kefir grains.

Any comments?

Richard7

If it is too acidic just dilute it. When it is too acidic for me I usually have it mixed with cold green tea.

But I am not sure if this is the issue you are talking about. How do the kombucha and water kefir (tibicos) effect you.

Bansaw

But I am not sure if this is the issue you are talking about. How do the kombucha and water kefir (tibicos) effect you.
Kombucha and Kefir, about 10 mins after I consume them, give me a feeling of lightheadedness and my energy level drops a little. Its a little like a sugar reaction for me. Although excessive sugar reaction is somewhat stronger.

Richard7

Ok, that is not a reaction that I have had.

My understanding that the sugar that is left in the kombucha is mostly fructose and that that is absorbed more slowly than glucose, so 10 minutes sounds a bit fast. It could be the organic acids I guess or perhaps the alcohol.

I don't know, but hope someone has an idea.

Do you get light headed with the caffeine too?

Bansaw

Do you get light headed with the caffeine too?
Caffeine is a bit different. It gives me a 10 minute buzz and then I crash into brain fog and a heavier fatigue 20 mins after I take caffeine. I think this has to do with my methylation issues.
The kefir and kombucha have a negliable amount of alcohol in them since its not an anearobic (2nd fermentation). Kombucha/WK is vinegar until you 2nd ferment it by putting an airtight lid on it for a few days.

Richard7

I just do it aerobic all the way. I don't feel the need to make it fizz.

I just did a bit of a search and there are other people mentioning this symptom ( http://kombuchatea.tribe.net/thread/0d8bae37-5bb7-45f8-b2c5-a54cf7784b3d ) for example. Though this is one with a long second stage ferment.

Another ferment you may wish to try is beet kvass. Its really easy http://www.nourishingtreasures.com/index.php/2013/01/29/beet-kvass-photo-tutorial/

It is a very different ferment, so may have very different effects, but should also provide some of the probiotic bacteria you are presumably looking for.

Bansaw

It is a very different ferment, so may have very different effects, but should also provide some of the probiotic bacteria you are presumably looking for.
Thanks! I'm looking into that. It looks simple to make.