• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How narrow is the window for optimal methylation?

Can 200mcg methylfolate be great for someone but 300mcg causes them to overmethylate? Or would it likely be a larger dose, like 1000mcg or more? I was reading on this site where this guy who was doing a balancing act between methylfolate and niacin.

http://mthfr.net/overmethylation-and-undermethylation-case-study/2012/06/27/

Thats what I kind of feel like im doing atm. Because I am just biting into an 800mcg pill as opposed to using a pill spliter for a more accurate dose, I could be getting between 200-400mcg. So, initially I had my good/tolerant reaction, then last night I started to feel very anxious. I took 50mg of niacin and felt better not long after. This has happened a few times before with methylfolate. Whats your experience?

ahmo

Some people only tolerate folate in crumbs. My strategy when I felt symptoms from too much folate was to balance it with 1mg sublingual B12, rather than niacin. But you seem to be very sensitive, niacin might be better.

PeterPositive

I don't think you can base that on the "overmethylation" symptoms. Those can occur even with your methylation is in general deficient.

I had plenty of extra anxiety from folate and/or methyl-B12 while my tests showed high homocysteine and low SAMe...

I guess what you are referring to is the window of optimal "methylation supplements without side effects"

That may also change as your body adjusts to them.

my 2c.

No, my question is still about the optimal window for methylation and how sensitive it is to dosages. I dont know if I overmethylated or if it was just anxiety and nothing else. That's why I'm asking.

Dr lynch of the above link seems to think methylation can be ramped up and slowed down quickly and with low dosages.

PeterPositive

That's pretty a hard question to answer without some objective measurement. Depending on the level of impairment dosages can greatly vary from, say, 30% RDA to 10000% RDA.

The methylation cycle, by definition, is the process by which certain vitamins and aminoacids are turned into SAMe and glutathione in the cells.

In order to asses how your methylation cycle is working with supplements of those nutrients you will need to check your serum levels of SAMe and GSH.

All the other subjective symptoms might have little or nothing to do with the methylation in your cells. E.g. = you experience a state of improved cognition after taking B12. That might just be the effect of B12 in your brain. Not methylation per se :)

cheers

Last edited:

caledonia

My suggestion would be to measure your doses exactly. If I exceed my usual dose by even 1 mcg I can have problems (that's micrograms, not grams). Note that I take very small amounts compared to most people.

I would think you would have more leeway the higher your doses are, but randomly doubling from 200 to 400mcg is probably asking for trouble.

Click on my signature link to go to my document Start Low and Go Slow for more info on how to subdivide supplements and pills.

As far as what caused the anxiety, it could be several things - overmethylation, methyl trapping, COMT mutation mood swing, CBS, etc.

PeterPositive

My suggestion would be to measure your doses exactly. If I exceed my usual dose by even 1 mcg I can have problems (that's micrograms, not grams).
You can only take 1 microgram? Of folate?
If that's the case I would not bother with supplements, and just take it from the diet.

Gondwanaland

overmethylated or if it was just anxiety and nothing else
There is no such thing as "anxiety and nothing else". It is a neurotransmitter imbalance and you probably had a light serotonin syndrome. If you need help with neurotransmitter breakdown, B2 might be useful, or B3 as you have experienced by reducing neurotransmitter formation.
If that's the case I would not bother with supplements, and just take it from the diet.
Somehow fibers and whatnot make nutrients unavailable. I experience incredible effects from supplementing tiny doses of minerals that I should surely be getting from my food but am not.

caledonia

You can only take 1 microgram? Of folate?

I'm getting that via the All In One multi, which has a lot of co-factors. I know it sounds like such a silly amount, why bother, but I've been able to cure my autoimmune thyroiditis and halfway fix my severe adrenal fatigue, plus drop about 20 other supplements for anxiety, sleep, etc.

So something is working. Maybe it's mainly the B12, who knows.

Anyway, it's only temporary until I can figure out my current roadblock. I'm looking into doing Cutler chelation for mercury.