• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAJOR NIACIN FLUSH!!!

alice111

So I decided to try the niacin (nicotinic acid) after reading up on Fred's. I have been starting up methylation and was experiencing anxiety so decided to give the niacin a try since it's supposed to counter the over methylation. But...

I am now head to toe red as a tomato, burning feels like my skin is on fire and itching!!! Seriously head to toe.

What does this mean? Do I just ride it out? Should I not take this again?

How do people on Fred's or other methylation protocol take niacin? Do u just use the non flush kind?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
That's the flush. It should go away.

I don't know much about methylation but I took niacin to stop the methylation process when I had problems.

So not sure why its in your protocol. Again I don't understand it well.

TigerLilea

So I decided to try the niacin (nicotinic acid) after reading up on Fred's. I have been starting up methylation and was experiencing anxiety so decided to give the niacin a try since it's supposed to counter the over methylation. But...

I am now head to toe red as a tomato, burning feels like my skin is on fire and itching!!! Seriously head to toe.

How do people on Fred's or other methylation protocol take niacin? Do u just use the non flush kind?
I can't take Niacin. I get the flushing and my hands swell up so bad that I can barely move my fingers. It only lasts for about an hour but, like you, my skin feels like it is on fire.

Mary

Moderator Resource

That's the niacin flush - it's not hurting you, though you might want to try a lower dose next time. The flush means it is dilating your blood vessels. It is supposed to slow down methylation and I think works well for that purpose. Sometimes it makes me flush a lot and other times only a little, even with the same dose. I don't know why.

some people do find the flush intolerable, we all react differently. I don't know if they ever tried a lower dose or not. It's a little unpleasant for me but I'm used to it now so it doesn't really bother me.

I don't use the non-flush kind as it never did anything for me but the regular flushing kind helps me with sleep.

Stretched

<<What does this mean? Do I just ride it out? Should I not take this again?>>

I know the feeling well. It's good for the heart and blood circulation in general and coronary artery disease in specific. I have been using it for years (rx's, along with CAD heart meds). Every now and then I up the dose - and like you, get zinged! :woot:

Try an aspirin to help counteract the flush and don't drink anything hot for a couple of hours. The 'fire' should pass by the time you read this.

You must have snorted ~ a gram to get lit up so bad?

PeterPositive

Is it possible you have taken too much?
Typically you just need a 50mg dose which can repeated after 30-40 min if the anxiety is not mitigated. Typically 100-150mg should do it.

Best not take it all at once. :)

cheers
p.s. = niacinamide works just as well, without the discomfort

caledonia

Hi Alice - that's the infamous niacin flush. It's uncomfortable and surprising, especially if you're not prepared for it, but it won't hurt you.

If you keep it in the 50-100mg range, that should keep it from flushing. There is also a non flush variety. Sustained release might be another option, so it's not hitting your system all at once.

Stretched

I don't want to start a debate relative to Niaciin and its analogs. However, in trying to share some experience to help with your decision the low doses referenced above may be ineffectual, depending on the objective.

Agreed in advance, the desired 'effect' may be a variant, ie what does 150mg get you versus 1000mg?

If you want to continue to take it why not try a reliable reference source, eg drugs.com or Medline.com for typical adult dosing (for those who weigh >33lbs,~)

Fwiw, my cardio doc started me at 1000mg (1G). When I complained of flush he
said any less would not have much effect. (I did get acclimated to it but ocassionally flush; then take less, eg 50% in am and 50% pm.)

For Methylation variations you might try the guru, Amy Yasko, phD. Her book is 'Feel Good', downloadable, or one of her sites, maybe Q & A. Personally, I find her stuff pretty esoteric and showy, all of which could be boiled down to about 5 routine supplements, IMO. OTOH, she does have awesome credentials!

'Hope this helps.

alice111

I guess I'm just @caledonia and @ahmo and others with methylation links/papers wondering with Fred's you guys seem to clearly mention nicotinic acid form for putting the brakes on if you get into "over methylation" so does this mean that niacinamide will not do the same job?

Also I took way too much :s so I may be able to tolerate a lower dose

ahmo

Hi alice. As far as I know, niacinamide will work equally as well. I, however, haven't used it. Rather, when I experienced 'over-methylation' symptoms, I put a 1mg MB12 into my gum, and it stopped the symptoms almost immediately. Sometimes I added that amount to my running total of B12, sometimes it was only needed for the moment. I used self-testing to move on with all my dosages.

I see Ben Lynch says here, in 2011, to use nicotinic acid. I heard him in a talk from this year caution that what he said in earlier years is not necessarily what he thinks now. You'd have to look further for his current recommendations. Probably Caledonia knows them.

Last edited:

PeterPositive

I guess I'm just @caledonia and @ahmo and others with methylation links/papers wondering with Fred's you guys seem to clearly mention nicotinic acid form for putting the brakes on if you get into "over methylation" so does this mean that niacinamide will not do the same job?

Also I took way too much :s so I may be able to tolerate a lower dose
Niacinamide works very well. Tested a dozen times ;)