• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Urine sulfate strips - Yasko vs. Ctl Scientific

musicchick581

@caledonia I just tested my sulfate with the Quantofix. My results were >800. Is this high? Low? I can't find a chart online to help with this. My multivitamin has molybdenum and doc said I must be on NAC because of MTHFR. Hmph. I've had a hard time increasing methylcobalmin past 600 mcg. and even getting there was hard.

caledonia

@caledonia I just tested my sulfate with the Quantofix. My results were >800. Is this high? Low? I can't find a chart online to help with this. My multivitamin has molybdenum and doc said I must be on NAC because of MTHFR. Hmph. I've had a hard time increasing methylcobalmin past 600 mcg. and even getting there was hard.

Try testing it every day for the next 5 days or so and see what happens. 800 is sort of in the middle. High would be 1200 or 1400. Low would be 200-600.

For people with CBS problems, the number seems to stay consistently high. For example, mine was consistently at 1200. For people without CBS problems, the number goes up and down as they ingest and then metabolize the sulfur.

musicchick581

Ok. I'm confused as to why I'd be having a problem with CBS when it's just CBS360 +/- except that BHMT 08 +/+ might be causing this. I will take your advice. My doctor thinks I'm obsessing because I'm researching so much and trying to get answers. So I need to just sit here and feel like garbage I guess.

shah78

@musicchick581 The doctor is terrified that you will exceed their "expertise" and they will have to give you that"glazed eye"look whenever a paying customer knows more that they do!......
I have CBS360 +/- and CBS699+/- and sulfur kicks my ass. You don't have to be homozygous.

caledonia

Ok. I'm confused as to why I'd be having a problem with CBS when it's just CBS360 +/- except that BHMT 08 +/+ might be causing this. I will take your advice. My doctor thinks I'm obsessing because I'm researching so much and trying to get answers. So I need to just sit here and feel like garbage I guess.

What kind of symptoms are you getting that makes it hard to increase B12? There are other things besides CBS. Have you read Roadblocks to Successful Methylation linked in my signature?

musicchick581

@shah78 ...you might be right. He does tell me that he wants to help me so much because I'm educated and smart and he likes that. I do tend to obsess on things like this when I don't feel well and don't feel that I'm being guided but that's because I want to feel better. If I was being guided better, I wouldn't obsess.
@caledonia ...I was getting "out of body" feelings, brain fog but that could be due to the panic attacks, and I felt totally out of control in my head. It was a weird feeling when I took a higher dose. My multivitamin has 50 mcg adenosyl/methyl mix B12 and 400 mcg methylfolate and 100 mcg molybdenum so I might continue with that although they are tablets so not great for B12 absorption. But I'm going to stop the NAC. The only thiol foods I was eating was kale and asparagus. I can't give up chicken because I feel better with meat but will try to have it once a day instead of twice or three times. Even when I stopped all supplements last winter, my anxiety continued so I think it's the BH4 issue.
My doctor today told me he wants to put me on BH4 and really wants me to do the EDTA calcium iv chelation test and urine test. I'm so concerned about that. And BH4 is supposed to be supplemented as a last resort. So idk what to do next.

caledonia

@caledonia ...I was getting "out of body" feelings, brain fog but that could be due to the panic attacks, and I felt totally out of control in my head. It was a weird feeling when I took a higher dose. My multivitamin has 50 mcg adenosyl/methyl mix B12 and 400 mcg methylfolate and 100 mcg molybdenum so I might continue with that although they are tablets so not great for B12 absorption. But I'm going to stop the NAC. The only thiol foods I was eating was kale and asparagus. I can't give up chicken because I feel better with meat but will try to have it once a day instead of twice or three times. Even when I stopped all supplements last winter, my anxiety continued so I think it's the BH4 issue.
My doctor today told me he wants to put me on BH4 and really wants me to do the EDTA calcium iv chelation test and urine test. I'm so concerned about that. And BH4 is supposed to be supplemented as a last resort. So idk what to do next.[/quote]

If you do establish that CBS is a problem and you need to do the protocol, if you do the Free Thiol diet instead of the Low Sulfur diet, you can keep eating meat. See the link in my signature.

If you're taking an oral multi, the B12 is absorbed so poorly you might as well not even count it. The methylfolate will absorb though. So maybe what you're actually creating is methyl trapping, and not methylation. Therefore you may feel worse in many aspects.

When I was taking a multi like that, I seemed to be making glutathione because my MCS improved (good), but conversely, it created an even worse B12 deficiency that I'm still trying to dig out from. I do have the B12 double whammy of both MTR and MTRR SNPs, so maybe that's why.

So my suggestion would be to get some sublingual B12 on board.

This is all covered in my Roadblocks to Successful Methylation document linked in my signature.

musicchick581

I'm taking a liquid B12 methylcobalmin in 600 mcg and a capsule 500 mcg methylfolate in addition to the multivitamin. Took me awhile to be able to get up that high with the B12. I had side effects.

musicchick581

Aaand tonight we are at >1200
Why it's increasing I'm not sure. Although I did eat a chicken leg tonight.
Otherwise, no NAC today. Hmmm....

@caledonia thank you! I will think about keeping my liquid methylcobalmin but maybe cut the extra folate capsule since the multi at 400mcg might be enough with the low thiol diet.

Al Klein

Seems best to resurrect this old thread - I am stryggling to interpret - when I take a strip out of pack all 4 are pink from slightly less intense at the top to more intense closer to my hand. I dipped in water as a control, still pink, just a slightly deeper shade than when dry

In urine ALL 4 are yellow, again from a lighter yellow, to orange nearest my hand

I cant match this up against the side of the container AT ALL

what am I looking for?

Thanks

Umm - so what was this thread talking about? the instructions seem to imply a ph between 4 and 8 is reliable
No idea what they're talking about. But the sulfate strips are intended for industrial use, not medical, and aren't reliable for use in urine.

caledonia

Seems best to resurrect this old thread - I am stryggling to interpret - when I take a strip out of pack all 4 are pink from slightly less intense at the top to more intense closer to my hand. I dipped in water as a control, still pink, just a slightly deeper shade than when dry

In urine ALL 4 are yellow, again from a lighter yellow, to orange nearest my hand

I cant match this up against the side of the container AT ALL

what am I looking for?

Thanks

Be careful how long you're dipping the strip in liquid. If you dip too long, it will wash off the reagent.

Other than that, if you could post a pic, that might be helpful. Show the strip next to the bottle so we can look at the comparison.

Ema

No idea what they're talking about. But the sulfate strips are intended for industrial use, not medical, and aren't reliable for use in urine.
I wouldn't think it would matter so long as the ph is in the proper range. The directions reference solutions and don't specify that they only work with water.