• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone have problems with Astaxanthin?

Hi :) -

I have been reading through these forums for a while now but have not really posted much yet. I am so thankful that this site is in existence - there are so many people here that are doing much good. I haven't had much to share but I do have a question about astaxanthin that I am hoping some others may have experience with.

I was wondering if anyone had felt de-energized after taking astaxanthin? I have read about people experiencing a ramped up feeling or anxiety but not of anyone feeling weak and low energy and just pretty terrible all the way around. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for any comments!

learner2life

David Pain
Hi Justine,
When I first starting taking it I too felt like I had much lower energy and vitality. It appears that limits the nitric oxide production as well as decreases blood pressure. That is what did it for me. It does decrease the h. pylori bacteria kand suppress tumor growth in some of the studies included in the link. Also all the positive things that are said about it's antioxidant properties. Hope it helps.
David

http://www.lef.org/abstracts/codex/astaxanthin_abstracts.htm

Thank you very much for your response, David! It does do amazing things - the link was very informative. Can I ask how long it took for these feelings to subside for you? I feel better tonight but it took a few days for things to calm down and it was severe enough to put me in bed for a few days. The decrease in blood pressure is what I am most worried about antagonizing but if it passes then I would like to continue, probably at a lesser dose than 4mg.

Thanks again for your help!

learner2life

David Pain
Hi Justine,
Yeah, I stopped using it for awhile. It was weeks before I started to use it again. I'm not sure what caused the change for me. After I noticed the intial drop for 3-4 days straight I stopped using it. On days that really taxed me physically I would take it and it didn't seem to sway my energy so much. Off hand I can't remember why it is such a great antioxidant. If it knocked you down for a couple of days then personally I wouldn't take it. I do know that I started taking ubiquinol before I reintroduced the astaxanthin, possibly it was recycling more of the vit c and e and that was the difference. Maybe when it works as an antioxidant then it inhibits the nos enzyme less. I don't know honestly. I'm really fishing on some of these.

I have a slight case of hypokalemia. I don't think it effected it. I take whey protein, w/ arginine. I don't think that would make more nitric oxide honestly since the nos enzyme is the one effected. I really don't know the science behind it to give specific answers as to why. Those are just some of the changes that I noticed I did when I brought astaxanthin back. Maybe someone can chime in that knows more about it.
Thanks.
David

Hi David -

Thanks again for all your input:) I can't believe how this thing has totally knocked my socks off. I was doing so well! I feel like there is a vortex in the center of my chest sucking my energy out. Jeez.

Here is a pretty good paper I found that explains some of the studies that have been done on astaxanthin and the immune system in case you might be interested...http://www.cyanotech.com/pdfs/bioastin/axbul62.PDF.

It is definitely worth taking if it can be handled. I would suppose at this point that perhaps I should stay away:rolleyes: I just wish I could find someone else that had a similar experience. It would also be helpful to know why this reaction has occurred so I'll just keep on looking.

Thanks again, David. Hope you are well!

Justine

xena

i think i maybe experiencing increased fatigue after adding in astaxanthin (12 mg) a few days ago

i think i maybe experiencing increased fatigue after adding in astaxanthin (12 mg) a few days ago
I stopped taking Astaxanthin when I realized it was causing my fatigue. I was having to take naps mid day which I had never done before. I would be so drowsy that I had to go to sleep.

I also get that knockout feeling and I fall asleep like 1-2 hours after I take Astaxanthin (12 mg).

It's either because it reduces my blood pressure which is already low or it reacts with mercury which I suppose I have in the brain.
Molecules 2012, 17, 1039-1054
The Metal Cation Chelating Capacity of Astaxanthin.
Does This Have Any Influence on Antiradical Activity?
Elizabeth Hernández-Marin, Andrés Barbosa and Ana Martínez
http://digital.csic.es/bitstream/10261/153587/1/molecules-17-01039.pdf

I saw you mentioned high mercury in your hair analysis, this could be the connection.

Carl

I have been taking 12mg/day for around 1 year. I am at high risk of circulatory problems so anything which lessens the risk is worthwhile. It did not make any difference when I was taking MSM, my arteries were dramatically hardening. After stopping MSM, things are beginning to improve quite considerably but still a little bit to go until it is all undone.

For those that become tired after taking it, it might be worth taking shortly before bedtime. It might eliminate any sleeping problems/difficulties which some sufferers experience.

I do not get too much effect in that respect. It might make me a slightly tired but it is hard to pinpoint because other stuff I take can also tend to do the same thing unless I get the balance between GABA increase by various amino acids and stimulating items correct. Combining both things can have greater effect but still the balance is crucial and I do not always get it correct.