• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pituitary and Thymus

New here...... have enjoyed reading from people who - get it...

I have been fighting this lovely disease for about 7 years, after a bout with the West Nile. Any way, I just went to a Naturopath yesterday and he recommends desecrated Bovine glands, similar to thyroid treatments. He says I will only have to take them for about a month, then of course we will start working on other areas.

Has anyone tried this? I am a little concerned about not only ingesting stuff like that, but also of temporary relief, just to crash and get worse.

Thanks in advance for your comments, off to work I go so unfortunately I cannot respond for several hours - I will check back in this evening.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@JKN913 - I've taken several different glandular products, all made by Standard Process, which is a very reputable company, and I've never reacted badly to them. In particular adrenal glandulars helped me a lot with my adrenals, and it wasn't temporary relief. I had to learn about supporting my adrenals (deal with stress (e.g., meditation), limit sugar, caffeine, alcohol etc.) What I'm saying is the adrenal glandular helped but wasn't a complete solution. But it didn't hurt me.

Right now I'm taking Neurotrophin PMG by Standard Process for my hypothalamus. I saw my chiropractor who does muscle testing about 4 weeks ago and asked him to check my hypothalamus and he said it was working at 50% and the Neurotrophin is what tested best for helping this. I know this is not scientific but I've had good results with muscle testing and glandular products, so I'm taking this now. I don't know if it's helping yet but I know it's not hurting me.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
New here...... have enjoyed reading from people who - get it...

I have been fighting this lovely disease for about 7 years, after a bout with the West Nile. Any way, I just went to a Naturopath yesterday and he recommends desecrated Bovine glands, similar to thyroid treatments. He says I will only have to take them for about a month, then of course we will start working on other areas.

Has anyone tried this? I am a little concerned about not only ingesting stuff like that, but also of temporary relief, just to crash and get worse.

Thanks in advance for your comments, off to work I go so unfortunately I cannot respond for several hours - I will check back in this evening.

If I remember rightly bovine pituitary was one of the causes of atypical Creutzfeldt-Jacob diseases (mad cow disease) that led to the death of young people with pituitary deficiency. There may be no infection in the source of supply but I would personally avoid anything of this sort, since there is no way of knowing for sure. The disease can take years to develop and is incurable and fatal.

ahmo

I had excellent results with Nutricology hypothalamus and thymus glandulars, Enzymatic therapies adrenal, Raw Pituitary pituitary glandulars. As I continued on my healing path, I was able to discontinue them.

Thank you, I will jump over there and take a peek.

Thanks to the rest of you for your comments too.

If I remember rightly bovine pituitary was one of the causes of atypical Creutzfeldt-Jacob diseases (mad cow disease) that led to the death of young people with pituitary deficiency. There may be no infection in the source of supply but I would personally avoid anything of this sort, since there is no way of knowing for sure. The disease can take years to develop and is incurable and fatal.
With muscle testing (often called Nutrition Response Testing), the actual supplement you take can be checked to see that no contamination or other biological vector is in it, by placing it on your body before consuming it.

Thought I would give a short update to anyone who is interested. I have been on the pituitary and thymus supplements for about a two weeks. This is the fourth day that I have felt really good. I have energy, my mind is clear, depression lifted, nausea way down, energy up and overall feeling 90% normal if you can believe that. I am still worried that this is temporary, but hoping it will last.

If anyone is interested I am taking the Standard Process brand "E-Manganese" for the pituitary - two in the morning and two in the afternoon (they said if I take them later that they will keep me up at night) and the "Thymus PMG" for the thymus - two in the morning and two in the evening.

trails

That's awesome and amazing that you're feeling so much better, JKN! I'd love for you to continue to update this thread with your progress as time goes on.

trails, I would be happy to post my updates and I hope it helps you and others.

First off I want to say that I had already made progress by eliminating things from my diet that were severely aggravating my symptoms. For instance chocolate I found my body started to see it as a toxic invader. I don't know why, I had eaten it my hole life without any issue but now it was causing the worst flu-like symptoms and had me down flat. When I finally figured out what was cause such a bad flare I cut it out and was able to see improvement. From there I paid attention to what I ate and how it affected me. I cut out all sugars, which I new was bad but wanted to eat any way, soy and a few months ago gluten. I Incorporated a healthier diet with more fruits and veggies. I know a lot of people say diet doesn't help, but I think it does. It might not cure all of it, but it will make a difference and the key is to give it time. It can take up to a year to get all the gluten out of your body.

As I said, I did improve a lot with the diet, to the point I was able to go back to work. But I was still having a lot of difficulty and even though I was working, that was all I was doing. I have a sit down job and then I come home from work and sit for the rest of the nigh.

I went to a Naturopath and he recommended I start with the supplements I posted above. It has been just over two weeks and I am still feeling so much better. Even depression I didn't know I had is lifted, my anxiety is lower and the constant nausea, fatigue, etc. is much less.

I will go back to the Naturopath in another week and a half where we will start on phase two. As we all know this is a difficult disease to treat and he admitted that it will take a long time and we will need to go in phases. But, I do feel so much better already. I am still watching my diet and exertion as this will always be important.

How are you doing? What is your background?

Here is my update:

I did well on the supplements and was feeling real well and then had a bit of a back slide. Started picking back up a bit. Went back to the Naturopath a few days ago. As most people only have to be on the pituitary for 4 weeks, he wants me on them for another four weeks as he says that I am not quite where I need to be. He also suggested that I take 10,000 iu of Vit. D3 for two weeks then cut back to 5,000 from there on. He said that the Vit D helps feed the pituitary also.

In addition to that, I went back on the Ion, which I had been on a few years ago and helped a lot. I went off because I started getting leaky bowel from it, but I am trying it again along with the Noni juice that I took with it. The Ion is supposed to help fight bacteria and viruses. I think a lot of the struggles I am having are because of the Ebstien Bar and West Nile that I have had.

I am doing better but still having that up and down thing going on. I am watching what I eat, probably could do better, and not over doing it.

I will post again in a couple weeks.......

I finished my second round of the pituitary, didn't really notice much?? What I have noticed is that my constant headache is gone and much of my aches. If I eat something I shouldn't I get leg cramps, headaches or the whole body ache. I have noticed the biggest improvement from my diet. It is very restrictive and if I stick to it I do pretty well. I still have to watch my energy output. I think that if I can be really careful with my diet for a couple two or three years, it will give my body time to heal.

I went on a good vitamin and it seemed to help but got really bad hot flashes from them, I think from the preservatives in them. It is crazy how things that didn't bother us before are now like ingesting poison.

Just in case anyone is interested, here is my diet.
Morning - sliced apple and peanut butter, or other nut butters - I have noticed the fat and protein from the nut butters helps me to feel satisfied and curb my cravings.
other fruit as desired

Lunch - Cesar chicken salad or leftovers from the night before.

Dinner - stir fried vegetables with chicken or salmon and asparagus or sauteed vegetables and barbeque chicken.

Snacks - almonds, fruit, etc.

Hope this helps someone. I know it doesn't look like much, and it isn't, but I think to make a change using diet, you have to cut way back for a month or two and then slowly add things back. You will be able to tell right away what is bothering you if you do it that way.

ukxmrv

I'm glad to hear that you are doing well.

My experience was that during the early years of having ME I cut out gluten and dairy for a year. There was no improvement in my symptoms so I started using them again in small amounts.

Then I went on an exclusion diet. Starting with a small base of foods I gradually added foods to test if I felt better or worse.

I also had testing for allergies at a hospital (blood and skin prick tests) and underwent EDP to try and improve these. I also did another desensitisation program for both foods and other allergies.

Before the very bad virus attack that started my ME I had no problems with food intolerance or allergies. In the years after I developed bad stomach pain, vomiting, slow stomach emptying and lots of other problems.

I tried different diets as the decades went on and was able to put together a range of foods that I could tolerate and that left me with the highest possible functioning.

A bad bout of food poisoning 6 years ago made my list of foods even smaller. I can't as an example eat nuts without bad, stomach distension and vomiting or diarrhea. I was also diagnosed with SIBO a few years ago.

I think that foods for people with ME and CFS are so very individual and the benefits gained from restricting our diets is going to vary from individual to individual.

I agree ukxmrv, mine was an example of what is working for me and to give a platform on which to use. I also agree that gluten and dairy may or may not be exasperating some individuals, but it is a good place to start. I too didn't have food sensitivities until the past few years, after the ME became dominant. Some of the foods that I have eaten all my life are now not settling well with me. It could be a potato today and tomatoes tomorrow. What I do know is that if I eat foods that I have become sensitive to, my symptoms sky rocket. Hopefully this information will help at least one person.

I am truly sorry for your situation. This disease is nothing short of hell on earth.

ukxmrv

Thanks for the kind words @JKN913

Just comparing notes as we both developed food allergies/intolerance with the disease. Like yourself I had no problems at all before the virus that started my ME struck

Hutan

Just catching up with this thread

Any way, I just went to a Naturopath yesterday and he recommends desecrated Bovine glands, similar to thyroid treatments.
Would that be glands taken out of sacred cows? :)

Interesting JKN913, thanks especially for posting your diet. I'm going to try the nut butter on apple slices.

I hope the improved health continues.

Thanks for the kind words @JKN913

Just comparing notes as we both developed food allergies/intolerance with the disease. Like yourself I had no problems at all before the virus that started my ME struck

Yes, I had some sensitivities to gluten, my sinuses were stuffy a lot. I know because I went gluten free for a year and it cleared up, that was before I got sick. Since getting ME, I not only have sensitivities to a lot of things I didn't before, but they will bed rid me if I eat them. Terrible flu like symptoms - to the point that if I eat these foods I will become totally debilitated. Also, it seems to be spreading to other foods, or maybe I am just noticing the food connection more.

I have intestinal problems now too, but really watching what I eat helps that too.

I also didn't have Post Extensional Malaise before this either.

Just catching up with this thread

Would that be glands taken out of sacred cows? :)

Interesting JKN913, thanks especially for posting your diet. I'm going to try the nut butter on apple slices.

I hope the improved health continues.

Good luck, keep posting and let me know how it works. You really have to take the whole diet into consideration. If I eat just a couple potato chips I will pay for it. You wouldn't think that one or two bites of something would hurt, but with me it does. I have to be really strict. But it pays off, I am doing way, way better......