• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Storing my Methylcobalamin

cman89

I already store my B12 in solid or dark bottles, usually the very ones that it comes in. Now, I am wondering if the vitamin is heat sensitive. I want to be able to carry this with me, but my car gets quite warm, and im not sure if that is degrading the integrity of the b12?

Critterina

How about putting a few pills in a small pill case in your pocket (assuming you don't carry a bag, backpack, or purse)? (no idea about heat stability, sorry.)

PeterPositive

I have found these two quotes:
In neutral media and in the absence of light, the carbon - cobalt bond in methylcobalamin is very stable to thermal breakdown and the molecule can even stand heating to 100°C during 20 minutes (Lindemans, 1960).

The petitioner for 5’-deoxyadenosylcobalamin indicates that vitamin B12 is very stable in both crystalline form and aqueous solution. It is stable to heat but decomposes without melting at temperatures above ~210°C.
Source

It seems light is a problem, heat not so much, if you don't leave it in the car under the sun, for hours, in summertime... :)