• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Having somebody wash your hair

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
How can somebody wash your hair if you are lying down? I am looking for a hair wash sink, but they are too high in height- they need you to be sitting and putting your head back, it's hard to do. Does anybody have any suggestions for a lower height hair wash sink, so I can still be lying down while somebody washes my hair? Or I could just shave my head, no big deal.

alice111

How can somebody wash your hair if you are lying down? I am looking for a hair wash sink, but they are too high in height- they need you to be sitting and putting your head back, it's hard to do. Does anybody have any suggestions for a lower height hair wash sink, so I can still be lying down while somebody washes my hair? Or I could just shave my head, no big deal.

I just made a post like this a few days ago! Could u let me know if you find a solution or do end up trying out the inflatable thing? :)
Sometimes I also contemplate shaving my head...o_O

SOC

Is sitting on a high stool and leaning forward over the kitchen sink while someone else washes your hair not an option? You'd not be fully horizontal, so not an option for some, but perhaps possible for those who can be partially vertical for a brief time...?

Dr.Patient

Is sitting on a high stool and leaning forward over the kitchen sink while someone else washes your hair not an option? You'd not be fully horizontal, so not an option for some, but perhaps possible for those who can be partially vertical for a brief time...?
Unfortunately, leaning forward hurts my neck...

Dr.Patient

They make inflatable sinks for use lying down in bed for bedridden patients.

I have no idea where is best to buy, but this is the sort of thing I mean. Medical supply places should carry them, too (there are online ones, but again I don't know which ones are best).
Thanks. Looks like the head will drop into the sink if not held by something...

Revel

We managed with lots of towels, a jug, and 2 buckets (one filled with warm water, the other empty).

I would lay on the bed with my head over the edge above the empty bucket (I preferred to lie on my back, but it would work either way). Mum would support my head with one hand and pour water/add shampoo/rinse with the other. If there is an extra person to hold your head it's obviously much easier, but certainly possible with only one helper.

I did get to use a hair wash sink while bedridden in hospital but, honestly, the bucket method was just as good and more comfortable in my experience.

Gingergrrl

Right now I am able to take a bath but my mom is assisting me with washing my hair b/c my arms are so weak and I get out of breath easily. I felt humiliated at first but a woman came to our house and cut my hair short so now pretty quick to wash. I only wash it once a week which for now is working. I know this is not your direct question but can you take a bath if someone helps you?

Sasha

Fine, thank you

You might want to consider Nilaqua shampoo, that festival-goers use - you just rub it in without water and rub it out again with a towel. You can get it on Amazon, among other places.

Seven7

Seven
Here is what I found work the best for me when very crashed. I have POTs so the sink is a recipie to pass out or presyncope.
1) get shampoo ready and towel.
2) Open the faucet in the bathtub very slightly (not full pressure).
3)Lay flat in the bathtub and put head in gentle stream. when very wet reach shampoo and wash (I could raise arms if lay flat) then push myself into gentle stream again to rinse.
4) I keep soap do body, reach for towel and go to bed.

I did tried dried shampoo but couldnt do it because my hair is dark. Sink crashes me the worst (as if I went running).

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl how short did u cut your hair?

It was long several inches below my shoulders and now it is short and way above my shoulders. The shortest I have had it since probably the 8th grade. A woman came to my house and cut it and did a remarkably good job. She was a friend of my moms and I'd never met her before.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Oh cool! I am contemplating this.. Making life easier. So not boy short? But like chin length?
It is shorter (or equal?) than chin length but my hair is very very thick and she kept it covering my ears plus I have full bangs so I think it appears longer than if really is. I don't think I would call it boy short and try to think of a celebrity with a similar haircut.

ETA: it is more like ear length than chin length and like a pixie haircut just my hair is very thick. Hope that helps?!

Last edited:
I used the inflatable option in bed for many years and it worked okay without drenching the bed.

You can also buy inflatable baths for bed! You roll onto it and it inflates around you ready to be filled :) I couldnt afford one of these at the time so it was just the hair washing inflatable basin i used. (It did the job!)

I might try the rub in shampoo mentioned above, i can't remember the one i tried before but it made me look like i had full on grey hair :wide-eyed:

@Gingergrrl you're so brave cutting your hair. I have elbow length hair and i desperately needed to cut my hair back in the days when it could only be washed twice a year but i've always had long hair and i decided this illness has robbed me of absolutely everything, its not taking my hair too :mad: I really admire people who go for the cut, i didn't have the balls to do it :nervous:

I now have an electric bath chair provided by an OT that lowers me down into the bath with a long back rest so i can rest my head back on this while shampooing with my hair hanging over the back of it. If i nod off or pass out mid wash, at least i can't slide down beneath the water anymore. Usually the water slowly sliding up my nostrils was the only thing that woke me and was a bit scary.

Thanks to the bath chair. I can usually manage this once a week now in the bath but where i live now my bath is only 2 meters from my bed so i can actually get to the bathroom these days.

But definitely look into inflatable options, that was the best thing i found when bedridden. :thumbsup:

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl you're so brave cutting your hair. I have elbow length hair and i desperately needed to cut my hair back in the days when it could only be washed twice a year but i've always had long hair and i decided this illness has robbed me of absolutely everything, its not taking my hair too :mad: I really admire people who go for the cut, i didn't have the balls to do it :nervous:

Ironically I can honestly say that this is one of the best haircuts that I have ever had and I am very happy with it. It is so much easier to wash and it dries naturally with no blow dryer or products. Everything else in my life is in shambles right now but have no regrets cutting my hair short.