• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Xylitol Caused Slight Manic Episode?

This must be related to some of my genetic mutations? I tried a gum that had Xylitol in it, and within half an hour, or so, I was in a manic state...very hyper, extremely happy, laughing uncontrollably for about 15 minutes with tears running down my face.

It felt good to have that surge of energy, and the next day my body had far less aches and pains than normal. So, I chewed some more...felt better digestion, some elevation of energy and mood (but nothing like the day before). I chewed it three times the second day, twice the first day.

Then I did some research and read that children who are ADHD tend to become hyper with Xylitol. I also read that Xylitol opens the blood-brain barrier and acts as an excitotoxin. Oh, and I read it also kills bacteria.

So, I'm wondering if it's more beneficial or more harmful for my body/conditions? I was hopeful it would help kill off some of the bacteria in my system (lyme and also SIBO), and even though I was a bit all over the place with my slightly manic state that first day, I enjoyed the elevated mood and energy. However, since it crosses the BBB, could it be causing more harm...allowing other things to enter my brain that could harm me more, or causing lesions on my brain as excitotoxins are supposed to do? I've already had troubles with seizures from bismuth crossing the BBB.

Anyone know much about Xylitol and how it could help/harm someone with specific genetic SNPs?

Thanks!

Love,

Wendi

@ggingues the blood brain barrier does exist, were you saying you weren't sure if it really exists?

I'm asking if the Xylitol opening the BBB can cause me more harm than good, based on the other things I mentioned and my specific SNPs.

Martial

@ggingues the blood brain barrier does exist, were you saying you weren't sure if it really exists?

I'm asking if the Xylitol opening the BBB can cause me more harm than good, based on the other things I mentioned and my specific SNPs.

The recent article she linked talked about the Virgina school finding a lymph system in the brain. And possibly that there was never such thing as a BBB. Xylitol is very powerful as a cyst and bio film buster, it also is anti microbial like you mentioned. Never heard of it being an excito toxin. However if you felt better the next day instead of worse it sounds beneficial.

@Martial Oh, thanks for explaining that. :)

Okay, chewing some more now...will keep an eye on how I feel, overall, as an indication of the longer-term effects of it.

Crux

Hello,
If you have SIBO, the xylitol, a sugar alcohol, could be feeding some gut bacteria that produce stimulating neurotransmitters.
Hope it goes OK.

Martial

Hello,
If you have SIBO, the xylitol, a sugar alcohol, could be feeding some gut bacteria that produce stimulating neurotransmitters.
Hope it goes OK.

It is often recommended in treatment of SIBO though, so should only work to benefit. As far as I understand it anyways.

Well, I'm loving the energy and bit of a high from it, and my digestion seems to be working a bit better. However, I'm getting intense pressure/heat/sore-feeling in my head/brain this evening. That usually means my brain is swelling again. :-(

This happens even without the Xylitol, though, so no way to know if it's triggering it this time, or not. I'll stop chewing the gum for a few days, and then when my head is feeling less heat/burning/pain/pressure, I'll try it again. I like to know for certain something isn't working before giving up.

@Crux Xylitol *is* listed as not good for SIBO, but after this long I can feel in my digestive tract what is causing the SIBO to be worse, and what isn't. There's no pressure building up in my digestive tract from the Xylitol. The Xylitol wasn't making my SIBO symptoms worse, but was actually helping me with the symptoms (thus far...I've only been sampling it a few days, now).

Crux

Even when the gut symptoms are improved, I think that the bacteria quantities and proportions may still need to be balanced out ?

For instance, my gut is much better, but I'm still having to be awfully careful about what I eat or supplement. This could be for life, though, I may always be susceptible.

Sugar alcohols were one of my 'worst offenders'. I was chewing nicotine gum,(sorbitol), had to stop. I still take the B12 sublinguals with mannitol. If the quantity is reduced, it's not a problem.

From what I've read, xylitol starves oral bacteria, but is food for gut bacteria. Not sure.