• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe neck fatigue - Struggling to support my head

Apple

Hi guys.

This is something i've been struggling with on and off for the past 9 months or so. It used to just be every now and then if i'd overdone it or sat up for too long, but now it's seems to be happening every single day.

My neck feels very tight and heavy, like someone has tied a rope around it and hung a load of rocks. Mostly at the front but also have neck/backache at the back. I'm having to use a neck pillow under my chin for support f i'm not lying down. Seems better in the morning but by the afternoon(I guess because i'm slightly more upright) it gets pretty unbearable.

This is really worrying me and I don't know what to do about it. Was sort of thinking of a making a drs appointment, but my GP doesn't really do anything.. so not sure if it's worth the energy.

Has anyone experienced this? Has anyone got any advice?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I don't have that exact thing but I'm generally weak all over so it's a struggle to keep my head up, keep my body up.

Maybe have doc do CT scan of your neck just to rule that out?

Apple

I have general weakness/fatigue all over too but this feels different somehow. My health is pretty poor right now, so maybe it's just overall deterioration, but it's scary.

Maybe have doc do CT scan of your neck just to rule that out?

Oh, to live in America.. I live in the UK - there is absolutely zero chance of me getting a CT scan for this. Thanks though :bouquet:

Apple

I am using peppermint oil. Very happy so far

What / How are you using peppermint oil? Topically?

@Apple perhaps look into thiamine deficiency.

Hm. I take a B complex everyday. I could try doubling it, i guess! Thanks.

Is you avatar an example of your neck problems hehe.

Hahahaha, this made me laugh so much when I read it as my head/neck looked EXACTLY like that, resting on my shoulder. Hahaha. Thank you for making me smile. :)

Gondwanaland

Why would this not help? Would I need to buy thiamin one separately on top?
I think you should google for thiamine and see for yourself if the deficiency symptoms really match, and about the interactions of thiamine with other vitamins and minerals. The link in my signature "Balancing nutrients" is a good start.

I looked at your B50 and all I can say is that it is something I would not tolerate.

A B50 made me feel worse some time ago and then I started to try one by one of the B vitamins and found out that I would only feel any effect from certain coenzymated forms. Also my specific B vitamin needs change over time.

Apple

@Gondwanaland - I have been out this morning and have completely and utterly crashed so this is not making any sense to me. I will do some research later, when i am able to. Thanks for your reply.

Seven7

Seven
@Apple You are suppose to use a carrier oil (since it can irritate) then rub in neck. I do not use carrier oil sine I don't mind in my skin (but try w carrier first!!) and I just rub enough to wet the area.

Let me tell you that I mixed it w Thyme oil (this is a COX2 inhibitor I think is called) so It was AMAZING, will try again today. Not sexy smell, My husband says I smelled like a supermarket :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.

I am more than happy since it opens my sinuses so I do like the smell.

rosie26

@Apple :) I get the heavy head and neck discomfort as well. Though it is nowhere near as bad now. My head used to feel so heavy and sore that my pillow felt like a rock and my neck couldn't find the right supportive position either.

I also found it very hard holding myself up in a sitting position - there was an unusual weakness in the whole length of my spine, my neck didn't feel strong enough to hold my head up and the rest of the spine my body.
Rest, drinking plenty of fluids and a cold flannel to the forehead to remove heat if you have a sore head with heat, I found helped.

Last edited: