• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interaction between nitric oxide and the sympathetic nervous system

leokitten

With the recent news from IiME 2015 conference that Fluge and Mella are reproducing the vascular/endothelial dysfunction findings from Newton et al as part of their RituxME clinical trial and that they've also filed two patents for using nitric oxide (NO) donors and sGC stimulators with and without B-cell depletion and found in a number of patients that this produced fairly immediate and drastic symptom remission, I started searching the literature to see how things might connect with other ME/CFS phenomena.

So no one knows yet what exactly might be going on with our immune systems and how they are affecting vascular function, but it's definitely possible if not likely that for a big subset of us that the vascular dysfunction is driving most symptoms and other phenomena.

I already posted in another thread that NO is essential for proper immune system function, in particular controlling and clearing viral infections.

If you remember a number of studies have found sympathetic nervous system activation in PWME. I for certain have had clinical symptoms of sympathetic activation and it was verified by multiple 24-hr catecholamine labs. I am part of the ME subset that didn't get POTS or OI but ME gave me increased blood pressure and volume and a ton of circulatory problems.

Well a number of papers also show that nitric oxide (NO) interacts and modulates the sympathetic nervous system and reduced NO results in sympathetic nervous system activation.

Is this just a coincidence or a real connection?

Interaction between nitric oxide and the cholinergic and sympathetic nervous system in cardiovascular control in humans.

Sympathetic activation and nitric oxide function in early hypertension.

Nitric oxide and sympathetic nerve activity in the control of blood pressure.

Last edited:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I posted in another thread about a condition called prenzmetal angina which mimics a heart attack in presentation and ecg but is reversible with nitrates and is caused by coronary vasospasms not atherosclerosis . Nitric oxide plays a role in this condition.

wondering if there are similar characteristics with ME in reguards to cerebral perfusion and may be a lead in researching NO dysfunction that share similar issues.

Bob

I posted in another thread about a condition called prenzmetal angina which mimics a heart attack in presentation and ecg but is reversible with nitrates and is caused by coronary vasospasms not atherosclerosis . Nitric oxide plays a role in this condition.
I'm pretty certain that i get mild & sporadic prinzmetal angina (aka varient angina) and associated symptoms. (i.e. angina at rest rather than when active.) Where would I find your thread please heapsreal?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I'm pretty certain that i get mild & sporadic prinzmetal angina (aka varient angina) and associated symptoms. (i.e. angina at rest rather than when active.) Where would I find your thread please heapsreal?

If i find it i will @ you. I replied to something JE mentioned on vasculitis. Im theorizing if there is something similar to prenzmetal angina but in the brain which is causing hypoperfusion from vasospasms not necessarily inflammation .

I just wonder if in ME that we have slightly different symptoms depending on different areas and the effects on blood vessels. Some with vasospasms or constriction and others with vasodilation like in hypotensive pots/oi.

Some people always have cold feet , is this another blood vessel issue ? ?

Another thought i have, is it a local issue such as inflammation or infection in the blood vessels themselves or is it in the signalling coming from the brain.

it would be interesting to know if there is an increased incidence of prenzmetal angina, which in itself is quite rare. If there is a higher rate in ME than that could be of interest for further research.

prenzmetal angina when having an episode looks like a heart attack in symptoms and on an ecg. Difference being is that this all reverses with nitrates in prenzmetal, not in a heart attack (infarction ).