• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(Ireland) May talks on ME in Dublin & Galway by ME Expert Dr Abhijit Chaudhuri

Tom Kindlon

The Irish ME/CFS Association is pleased to announce the following two talks by Dr. Abhijit Chaudhuri (from the UK) as part of its ME Awareness Month activities in May. The talks will include questions-and-answers sessions.

Admission is E5, on the door, to help towards the costs of organising these two meetings, and Dr. Chaudhuri's trip.

- Saturday, May 30: 2:45 pm, Connacht Hotel (formerly Carlton Hotel), Dublin Road, Renmore, Galway City. Hotel tel: 091 381 200. http://theconnacht.ie/ Free parking.

- Sunday, May 31: 11 am, Carlton Hotel Dublin Airport, Old Airport Road, Cloghran (Santry), Dublin Airport, Co. Dublin. Hotel tel: (01) 8667500. E-mail: info.dublin@carlton.ie . Free parking.

Dr. Abhijit Chaudhuri, consultant neurologist at the Essex Centre of Neurological Science, is now arguably the leading practising neurologist with an interest in ME/CFS/post-viral syndromes in Great Britain and Ireland.

Research on fatigue in common neurological disorders is the main theme of Dr. Chaudhuri's work. He takes special interest in myalgic encephalomyelitis
(ME) and did his PhD thesis on it.

His other areas of interest are multiple sclerosis, neuroimmunity, neurological infections and adult neurometabolic diseases.

Dr. Chaudhuri was involved in research looking at the spinal tissue of a few patients with ME

For more information, contact: Irish ME/CFS Association, PO Box 3075, Dublin 2. Tel: (Dublin) 2350965 Email: info@irishmecfs.org Website: www.irishmecfs.org

By the way, we would have liked to have had more talks but he wasn't free.
Also we would have preferred to have the Dublin talk a bit later in the day but Dr. Chaudhuri was not available.

Irish ME/CFS Association
E-mail: info@irishmecfs.org

Helen

Dr. Abit Chaudhuri is a co-writer to a study from which the text below is quoted. That would fit into the discussion in this thread

"...Patients with CFS have been suspected to have subtle immune dysfunction. Altered NK cell function in CFS patients has been reported previously by Morrison et al. [33], and is verified by the significant down-regulation of NK KIR receptors in our gene array (Table (Table2).2). This data helps to confirm that immunomodulatory gene expression is significantly different in CFS patients, as compared to healthy individuals. Immune dysfunction appears to be present in patients with CFS in the absence of any particular pathogen. The classical Th1 to Th2 switch allows intracellular pathogens to evade detection. As mentioned above, DAF is a regulator of the complement system and is an immune regulator. DAF appears to inhibit NK cells [34] and is known to be one of the most potent activators of tumourigenesis/viral dissemination. DAF is also known as a receptor for certain viruses (including enteroviruses) and other microorganisms [35-37].

The immune modulation in post-Lyme disease fatigue is remarkably similar to the gene signature presented here for patients with CFS [38]...."

BMC Med Genomics. 2009 Jun 25;2:38. doi: 10.1186/1755-8794-2-38.
A gene signature for post-infectious chronic fatigue syndrome.
Gow JW1, Hagan S, Herzyk P, Cannon C, Behan PO, Chaudhuri A.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
At present, there are no clinically reliable disease markers for chronic fatigue syndrome. DNA chip microarray technology provides a method for examining the differential expression of mRNA from a large number of genes. Our hypothesis was that a gene expression signature, generated by microarray assays, could help identify genes which are dysregulated in patients with post-infectious CFS and so help identify biomarkers for the condition.

METHODS:
Human genome-wide Affymetrix GeneChip arrays (39,000 transcripts derived from 33,000 gene sequences) were used to compare the levels of gene expression in the peripheral blood mononuclear cells of male patients with post-infectious chronic fatigue (n = 8) and male healthy control subjects (n = 7).

RESULTS:
Patients and healthy subjects differed significantly in the level of expression of 366 genes. Analysis of the differentially expressed genes indicated functional implications in immune modulation, oxidative stress and apoptosis. Prototype biomarkers were identified on the basis of differential levels of gene expression and possible biological significance

CONCLUSION:
Differential expression of key genes identified in this study offer an insight into the possible mechanism of chronic fatigue following infection. The representative biomarkers identified in this research appear promising as potential biomarkers for diagnosis and treatment.

PMID: 19555476 [PubMed] PMCID: PMC2716361

Free PMC Article
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716361/

Sing

I hope that he will specify how long these patients have had ME/CFS as the research Dr. Hornig has recently done shows that the immune system offers one picture in the first three years, a hyperarousal is how I would put it, and the opposite, a lowering of the immune system after three years. Making generalizations now about the immune signature of people with ME/CFS without specifying the length of illness, is going to be counterproductive or confusing, making another delay in discoverys and potential biomarkers.

Tom Kindlon

Do you know if this will be recorded or if a transcript of the talk will be made available?
No one has come forward to video it so far (we did ask in our newsletter although it only went out recently). We don't have the money to pay somebody.

Doubt a transcript will be done.