• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cant handle NAC

zzz0r

Yes I know most of the common reasons that people do not tolerate NAC but I would like to start a discussion and maybe someone could mention an effective way to overcome this roadblock in order to boost glutathione. Whenever I supplement with NAC I get muscle tension, pain and excitation with poor sleep quality. The dosage I use is 600mg daily. I have side effects since day 1.

-Sulfites overload-sulfur intolerance-transulfuration cycle blockage (solution b1 and molybdenum): I have tried that I can tolerate NAC for one or two days then I have again side effects

-Oxalates.... (oxalate stones mimics sulfites and bind to the sulfur receptors and generally block all pathways): I already supplement with the cofactors that break down oxalates for a long time but have seen no change

-Heavy metals bound to sulfur (particularly mercury) making it difficult to clear transulfuration pathway. However I can not think how I could overload my body on mercury as I have never had amaglam fillings plus I have used zeolite for detox many times. Heavy metals is a big questionmark for me as I have never been tested for it.

-Selenium: I have been supplementing with selinium as well.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

Just recently I read that NAC lowers estrogen, so perhaps you should look into other NAC effect other than those you cited...

South

NAC thins mucus, for example people with mucusy lung issues sometimes take it to help loosen the congestion.

And once, I took two NAC on an empty stomach, and later that day had a very mucusy stool, that I'd never had before. Later that week I tried it again, and it didn't happen as much. Not sure what that means.

I wonder if it loosens biofilm, such as in the digestive system.

zzz0r

@Gondwanaland NAC metabolizes many things including estrogen as it enchances phase 1 detox in the liver so this does not suprise me and I can not think how it would affect me

helen1

NAC is known to kill chlamydophila pneumonia bacteria. According to a study cited by @Hip in his Roadmap to ME (link in his signature) about 10% of PWME have chronic or systemic c.pneumonia (including me). Dr Stratton and Wheldon use NAC as part of their c.pneumonia protocol. It causes die off. Not sure if your symptoms sound like die off symptoms but you might want to look into that.

PeterPositive

I've tried NAC last year starting at 250mg/day but it gave me mild intestinal cramps... is it known for doing such a thing? Or is it just my body saying "no thank you".

I discontinued it because it was pretty bad on top of everything else.

zzz0r

@PeterPositive the reason that you do not tolerate it is the same reason that you need it the most. That is one thing many people misunderstand for most supplements that have adverse reaction. When you have an adverse reaction you have to find out why this is happening. There is not such a thing "body says no" in so small dosages

PeterPositive

@PeterPositive the reason that you do not tolerate it is the same reason that you need it the most. That is one thing many people misunderstand for most supplements that have adverse reaction. When you have an adverse reaction you have to find out why this is happening. There is not such a thing "body says no" in so small dosages
Well... in my experience it's less black and white than that :)
I usually stick with low doses of any supplements until to see if I can get used to it, and slowly build up the dose.
With some I can reach some success, with others even few small doses just provide further and further worsening. So, in my world, there's definitely a "no thanks" signal from my body. I usually prefer to honor that, than finding myself screaming in pain.

That's the case with oral magnesium, for example which I don't tolerate in any form.
With NAC I didn't stick with it for too long because I was already taking glutathione which doesn't bother me.

I may try it again, and see how it goes, but not these days as I am already feeling bad enough :(

Thanks

Lalia

@zzz0r did you ever figure out a workaround for your NAC issues? I react to sulfur and trying to figure out how to get it (along with glutathione) into my system.

Critterina

...And once, I took two NAC on an empty stomach, and later that day had a very mucusy stool, that I'd never had before...
Mucusy stool is sometimes (often?) the sign of an allergic reaction to something. Would it be normal to have something pass your entire system in so short a time, so you could attribute it to that?

Critterina

What dangerous advice!

hmnr asg

I tried NAC and made me feel very manic and dissociated. It was a very weird feeling. I tried it three times over the years and every single time got the same experience.