• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I've got histamine intolerance

maddietod

I did a 3-day water fast and then started a low-histamine diet, and got immediate improvement in sinus & throat symptoms. I lucked into an amazing alternative doctor who looked at my notes and agreed that I've got this intolerance.

I've just added Daosin this morning, and got more improvement in all the phlegm-related issues. My doctor is talking about adding quercetin to my experiments. I can't take any antihistamines, but Zand allergy formula works well for pollen. [But I haven't been taking it, as I experiment with Daosin and diet.]

I'm looking for everybody's ideas about what to layer in, and how to best do it so I can tell what's helping. What brands do you use, what strength and dosing schedule? What in the histamine releasing-mopping up cycle do your interventions target?

Could you help me create a structure for experiments? You might have ideas my doctor hasn't thought of, including reactions he wouldn't expect. I'm very sensitive to non-herbals.

maddietod

I took a second daosine to eat a second meal, and I have huge painful bloating and I feel generally awful. Ideas?

ahmo

I'm just working on a post about how FMN form of B2 has reduced my needs for histamine & mast cell supps.

I've found rutin remarkably effective for histamine issues, effective within minutes. (beware, some rutin products are from citrus, which are histaminic) I also use royal jelly and mangosteen for mast cells. I prefer mangosteen to quercetin.

I'm using NOW rutin, Californa Gold royal jelly, Fruitrients mangosteen.

http://www.histaminintoleranz.ch/download/SIGHI-FoodCompatibilityList_HIT(EN).pdf

http://thelowhistaminechef.com/these-probiotic-strains-lower-histamine-rather-than-raising-it/

The following I haven't revisited for some time, don't know how relevant:

http://peelingbacktheonionlayers.com/could-histamine-be-sabotaging-your-digestive-health/

The Many Faces of Histamine Intolerance http://healthypixels.com/?p=1044

http://thelowhistaminechef.com/wondering-why-you-react-to-everything-you-eat/

http://selfhacked.com/2014/08/01/deal-histamine/

maddietod

@PeterPositive @minkeygirl - great links! I've got a lot to learn.

@ahmo the SIGHI is the food list I'm working from. I probably got it from you on some other thread. Cooking and immediately freezing meat is a pain!

Thanks for the probiotics lists - very useful. And I read the other links; again, very useful.

I'll start with quercetin because I've already agreed with my doctor to start there. I'll test mangosteen later when I've got a bit of a handle on my reactions. I'll get my hands on the rutin and test it next week. One new thing a week is my plan. I'm going to test the daosin again on Friday in case it was - I don't know - too many tiger nuts.

GracieJ

I started quercetin with great results for mast cell symptoms. Within two weeks, I had bad stomachaches so cannot use it.

The most helpful thing to date is a session with my NAET practitioner, determine which piece is acting up, and balance it. Problem is, what would balance a normal person permanently lasts only two weeks for me, so it is ongoing. Helps a lot, though. I am hoping to get many symptoms under control this way.

maddietod

@GracieJ did you play around with dosage and timing (e.g. with/without food)? I'm wondering what dose to start on.

@ahmo I see rutin in 50mg and 500mg doses. How do you take it? Also how do you take the quercetin?

ahmo

I've only used one form of rutin, this one from NOW, 450mg. Igenerally was taking 1 AM/PM with my meals, and if I found myself in the midst of a histamine flare, I'd take another. I dose by self-testing. Once in awhile I think I've used 2. I just posted a blog about my experience with B2 in the coenzymated form of FMN. Since starting this I'm hardly needing any rutin.
I used Jarrow quercetin, also took it with meals.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I started on DAOsin this week - started with 1 a day then 2 just before the evening meal - did this for two days and on both days I had SEVERE violent nightmares that involved graphic murder. I know that sounds a bit weird but I had the same reaction a few years ago to B2 supplement. I have stopped it and the nightmares also stopped. Will try it again in a couple of days. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of such a weird thing?

Apart from that I am on drugs as I have mast cell activation - taking h1 and h2 blockers but not convinced im nto reacting to those at times as the itching frequently breaks through even with a high dose of loratidine.

My M.E doc has prescribed a different anti histamine that also stabilises mast cells and prostaglandins but im a bit scared to switch to it right now...

maddietod

I started on DAOsin this week - started with 1 a day then 2 just before the evening meal - did this for two days and on both days I had SEVERE violent nightmares that involved graphic murder. I know that sounds a bit weird but I had the same reaction a few years ago to B2 supplement. I have stopped it and the nightmares also stopped. Will try it again in a couple of days. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of such a weird thing?

Apart from that I am on drugs as I have mast cell activation - taking h1 and h2 blockers but not convinced im nto reacting to those at times as the itching frequently breaks through even with a high dose of loratidine.

My M.E doc has prescribed a different anti histamine that also stabilises mast cells and prostaglandins but im a bit scared to switch to it right now...

My painful huge bloating lasted 5 hours, and then I peed all night. If I try Daosin again, I'll open a capsule and take a tiny amount.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
My painful huge bloating lasted 5 hours, and then I peed all night. If I try Daosin again, I'll open a capsule and take a tiny amount.
Good idea - on the other hand I don't think it works if you don't take enough so its an expensive way of getting your body to accept something. DAosin here is so expensive!!