• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study Shows Chronic Lyme Disease "Fools" Immune System, Resistant to Antibiotics

Antares in NYC

And the peer-reviewed studies just keep pouring in, proving that chronic Lyme is beyond question. This is quite an interesting study:

New Envita Study Shows Chronic Lyme Disease "Fools" Immune System, Resistant to Antibiotics

SCOTTSDALE, AZ--(Marketwired - April 28, 2015) - Envita Medical Center has just published an eye-opening peer reviewed study explaining how chronic Lyme disease persists in patients and resists against most treatment, including antibiotics. The paper is titled, "Chronic Lyme Disease: Persistent Clinical Symptoms Related to Immune Evasion, Antibiotic Resistance and Various Defense Mechanisms of Borrelia burgdorferi" and it can be found in The Open Journal of Medical Microbiology. Dr. Dino Prato, founder of Envita, and his colleagues, demonstrate that several key mechanisms of Borrelia burgdorferi (known as bb or the bacteria behind Lyme disease) allow the disease to evade the immune system and sometimes defy treatment altogether, which in turn prompts the infection to become chronic.

The Envita study exposes Borrelia's pesky ability to change the genes that are expressed on the outer surface of the bacteria in a manner that "confuses" the immune system's capacity to recognize it. These disguises do not fool antibiotics but they do buy the bacteria time to find a hiding place and create protective environments such as biofilm to hide within the body. When Borrelia persistently lingers in a patient's body, co-infections, immune down-regulation and secondary co-infections, such as viruses, can form a complex biological environment that causes treatment to become difficult.

According to Dr. Prato, "At Envita, the CLDC (chronic Lyme disease complex) patients we encounter have multiple infections, heavy metal toxicity, an immune compromised state and even neuropathy related to lingering neurotoxins of chronic Lyme disease. Because of this, we have had to develop personalized treatments for each patient and we believe that our new comprehensive approach is the best way forward."

A unique component of the study discusses the potential failing of antibiotics, especially when it comes to long term exposure to the disease. That is evidenced by the passage, "In addition to Bb's ability to protect itself from the immune system, many of the functional attributes and bacterial loci can influence the ability to treat Lyme disease with various antibiotics. Although Bb is susceptible to antibiotic treatment during early infection or treatment for Lyme disease, the bacteria is able to traverse the blood brain barrier, endothelial tissue, and imbed itself in joints. Bb can also enter certain cell intercellularly in addition to invaginating itself in a manner that reduces the potential exposure of antigens and limits the effectiveness of antibiotics." Because of all these factors, Envita feels that patients and doctors in all states need to be aware of Lyme disease and its complications, as well as have access to better and more comprehensive personalized treatment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/28/idUSnCCN8DV8jW 1d9 MKW20150428

Interview with Dr. Dino Prato:

msf

What an awful interviewer: 'haha, so the Lyme is like, totally in your brain?'

barbc56

Unfortunately, there's a lot of controversy about this jounal and it's publisher Scientific Research Publishing. There are some interesting outside references included in the article. The journal has an impact factor of 0 and a Google impact factor of .53. I've never heard of a Google impact factor.

Scientific Research Publishing (SCIRP) is an academic publisher of peer-reviewed open-access electronic journals, conference proceedings, and scientific anthologies.[2] As of December 2014, it offers 244[3] English language open access journals in the areas of science, technology, business, economy, and medicine. Its principal place of business is inWuhan, China.[1]
The company has been accused of being a predatory open access publisher and of abusing bulk email
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Research_Publishing#Open_access_typehttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Research_Publishing#Open_access_type

Barb

Antares in NYC

The journal has an impact factor of 0 and a Google impact factor of .53. I've never heard of a Google impact factor.

I wasn't aware of any of that. I saw this report in Reuters and copied it here.
I did notice the article had the marketing blurb for the clinic.

So there's no validity to this study at all?

Valentijn

I wasn't aware of any of that. I saw this report in Reuters and copied it here.
I did notice the article had the marketing blurb for the clinic.

So there's no validity to this study at all?
It's not a study :p There were no patients, no measurements, no treatments, no outcomes. It's just a fluff piece summarizing the data which suits its purpose. And the primary purpose seems to be to advertise the publisher's clinic.

Even if it wasn't geared toward marketing, it's not adding anything new, just rehashing other information.

Last edited:

Antares in NYC

It's not a study :p There were no patients, no measurements, no treatments, no outcomes. It's just a fluff piece summarizing the data which suits its purpose. And the primary purpose seems to be to advertise the publisher's clinic.

Even if it wasn't geared toward marketing, it's not adding anything new, just rehashing other information.
I get it, Valentijn. Upon reading the paper, i realized it's a compendium, pulling findings from previous research studies (with test subjects and metrics) that support Lyme immune evasion. The paper does seem self-serving for the Envita clinic, but all the data they pull from other research studies is legit, as listed in the bibliography references .

I got excited when I saw the headline in Reuters and posted it here. At the very least I hope it serves to bring more attention to the widely demonstrated resilience of the bb spirochete.

PS: the interview is terrible. Even any of the Kardashians would have done a better job!

I thought the study was pretty good...I learned some new things about immune evasion and stuff like that. I also thought the video was informative and nothing like the Kardashians.

Antares in NYC

I thought the study was pretty good...I learned some new things about immune evasion and stuff like that. I also thought the video was informative and nothing like the Kardashians.
Hi Terri,
I don't think the paper is bad; I found it very informative as well, and learned quite a bit about the mechanisms that borrelia uses to evade the immune system. It's a nice compilation of different works on that subject.

The criticism on this paper is that it feels self-serving to that Envita clinic, but I agree that is quite informative. And the research studies it pulls from are totally legit.