• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The British Gut Project

Sasha

Fine, thank you
New one on me - we have a crowdsourced British Gut Project, apparently, in which people in the UK mail their samples to London who then, embarrassingly, have to mail them to the US to get them analysed (it's an offshoot of the American Gut Project.

This was mentioned on BBC Radio 4's Today programme (major national news programme) this morning, with its originator, Dr Tim Spector, taking a pop at the result of a junk food diet on the microbiome.

http://www.gutmicrobiotaforhealth.com/dr-tim-spector-launching-british-gut-project-7240

Interestingly, they're interested in people doing interventions and comparing results before and after.

Possibilities here for ME/CFS research and for those experimenting with pre/probiotics?

@Sidereal, @adreno?

Thinktank

@adreno, you can ship your sample directly to the american gut project. They take samples from all countries, the only hassle is finding a courier that will take your poo-in-a-box but usually fedex will do it.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@adreno, you can ship your sample directly to the american gut project. They take samples from all countries, the only hassle is finding a courier that will take your poo-in-a-box but usually fedex will do it.

I've sent a faecal sample to the US via Fedex and it requires special packaging and special paperwork. You'll need to contact them ahead of time, tell them that you want to send a faecal sample, and they'll tell you what you need to do. The courier will then come to your house to collect it.

It might be cheaper for you to send your sample to the UK.

adreno

PR activist
I emailed with ubiome, and they told me I can regular mail my sample. That will certainly be much cheaper than using FedEx.

Sidereal

I suppose my question would be what are you going to do with the results? It's not like you would be doing anything different than you are right now seeing as no one has any idea what the results mean, how to interpret them or how to act on them. Seems like money spent for no actionable information.

snowathlete

Like @adreno says, uBiome works out cheaper and easier so unless the BGP offers something unique such as analysis of grouped samples then it wouldn't seem worth it.

@Sidereel, I've found my uBiome results extremely useful in directing my efforts to heal my gut.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Like @adreno says, uBiome works out cheaper and easier so unless the BGP offers something unique such as analysis of grouped samples then it wouldn't seem worth it.

@Sidereel, I've found my uBiome results extremely useful in directing my efforts to heal my gut.

Did you? I couldn't fathom my uBiome results.

Hip

One of the issues with the uBiome and American Gut labs is that their results can vary significantly if you take two fecal samples from different parts of the same stool. See the following article, where the author sent away three different samples from the same piece of stool, to be analyzed by uBiome and American Gut:

Which bacteria are in my poop? It depends where you look

This variation probably occurs because the food you eat makes a great deal of difference as to which bacteria grow on that day, and presumably one stool could comprise the food from more than one meal, or could comprise different parts of the same meal (main course versus dessert).

The good news, though, was that uBiome and American Gut produced similar results from a piece of feces taken from exactly the same spot on the stool.

Perhaps the only thing of reliable scientific value in these high-throughput sequencing microbiome analyses is the actual species of bacteria you have present; the relative population sizes of these species, which can vary from day to day, and vary even within the same stool, probably has little meaning.

Last edited:

jepps

If you are interested, I can post a sample of an Excel file of the Ubiome stool test.
If quantities differ or not in various samples, I am interested in detecting certain important strains or not (Bifidos, Faecalibacterium prausnitzi, Roseburia, Akkermansia etc.) If they are detected, it´s a good sign, and they can be feeded. Also interesting is the quantity of bacterias in summary - how much various bacteria are in my stool?
Sadly I do not know, whether the analysis is from me or my husband - one sample received Ubiome broken, and we did not mark, which registered sample was this of the actual analysis.
Ubiome was very professional, and sent me a new kit, which I sent again to Ubiome. So the next analysis will be definetly mine:)