• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Energy from sunlight (and question about glass) ...?

Bansaw

I think I need more sunlight. It seems to have some benefit for me.
However, I don't like lying outside because of the bugs.
Laying in the house in front of the window, I guess you are not getting the right UV waves you need.
I have been taking synthetic vitamin D but think its best to get the real thing.

How about lying down under a mosquito net or something? That should let the shorter UV vitamin D rays through right?

ahmo

My understanding is that sun through glass = UVB, which is not good. Mosquito net wouldn't be a problem.
sun-296.gif

Vitamin D from the sun is very healthy in moderation, there is a great app for the phone called Dminder which tells you when to go out and how long to safely tan.

I find being in the sun knocks me out and I get extremely weak and tired. I do supplement with D3 as well as this is the only form the body recognizes. I haven't noticed a difference but so many studies attest to its benefits I will continue to take it.

Mij

From what I've read is that we only need 15 mins/day of sunshine to get the benefits. Full exposure, no sunscreen etc. Every year around end of March and April I experience viral infections (sometimes really bad ones), winters are long here, and when I sit out in the sunshine a little I generally start to feel better. Not on very hot days, of course.

From what I've read is that we only need 15 mins/day of sunshine to get the benefits. Full exposure, no sunscreen etc. Every year around end of March and April I experience viral infections (sometimes really bad ones), winters are long here, and when I sit out in the sunshine a little I generally start to feel better. Not on very hot days, of course.
Depending on how far north or south you are, it also has to be pretty close to the middle of the day (1pm). And no UVB penetrates during the winter, unless you're fairly close to the equator.

Kenshin

Sunlight has huge benefits for me, living in Uk Im deficient for most of the year, vit D sups seem to do little to nothing for me.
Direct Sun improves my mood quickly, and over time improves physical symptoms more than any supplement. Although I can feel tired/woozy when first getting used to direct sun after months being without, especially in high temps.
Make sure you eat natural saturated fats (we need natural fats like butter in our diet to synthesize vit D in the skin using cholesterol). This can restore a messed up endocrine system in days, Vit D is not actually a vitamin, its a "pro hormone".

Funny how we have been told by the medical establishment to stay away from cholesterol and sunlight.

Bansaw

Although I can feel tired/woozy when first getting used to direct sun after months being without, especially in high temps.
This is like me. When I go back int he sun it does have a tiring affect on me but if I stick with it, it benefits. I got test for VitD a while back and it was sooooooooo low my doc put me on emergency VitD3, good absorbable one. I was retested and my vitD levels were up, but you kind of know that synthetic vitD is no-where near as good as God-intended sunlight vitD.

Tammy

This is like me. When I go back int he sun it does have a tiring affect on me but if I stick with it, it benefits. I got test for VitD a while back and it was sooooooooo low my doc put me on emergency VitD3, good absorbable one. I was retested and my vitD levels were up, but you kind of know that synthetic vitD is no-where near as good as God-intended sunlight vitD.
Did you notice any positive outcome from the supplemented VitD3?

Bansaw

Did you notice any positive outcome from the supplemented VitD3?
Not really! When I got the test results, the nurse said to me,"you'll feel a definite impact when your vitD levels go back up. It will be really noticeable." I took the VitD and got retested. My levels went way back up to normal. But I didn't notice any great benefit. I think natural sunlight does more than just raise vitD. And synthetic vitamins are not quite the same as getting them naturally.
I am on MethylProtect right now and my doc put me on that but says I might not want to be on that long term. B vitamins from natural sources are better.