• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDN and gut motility

rebar

LDN may be helping. Constipation had been a serious issue, self diagnosed
SIBO-C, after serious multiple courses of antibiotics. I Started back on LDN taking it in morning, too many issues at night. Bam, things started working!
I'm taking 1mg before breakfast as soon as I walk upstairs.
I had booked an appointment with a gastro. I then started reading up on SIBO, came across
studies for treating SIBO with LDN. Well I started back on LDN 4 days ago
and for the last two days...success.
Am I certain, no, but reasonably confident.

rebar

I'm sure it's helping 4 days and counting. As I mentioned I take first thing in the AM. It causes some gut noise and a touch of discomfort. Several hours later bam. Good luck all.

Misfit Toy

What were your issues at night? I could not sleep. I felt like my mind was just on. Could hear every noise. Pain went berserk.

rebar

Hi Swan, a little over 2mg.
I originally wrote 1 but its closer to 2.

Last edited:

SB_1108

I'm about to start LDN for SIBO and ME/CFS/FM - I start on Wednesday. So its good to hear that this is working for you. Do you feel that the LDN helps with your fatigue/pain or other symptoms @rebar ??

rebar

well I can't say never able to stay on it long enough to know, as I mentioned problems for me at night.
Last week on Mon. was the first time I'd tried it in the morning. If it continues to help with SIBO and nothing else that's enough for me.

SwanRonson

as I mentioned problems for me at night.

So taking it in the morning has kept the night terrors away? It looks like naltrexone has a HL of 4 hours, so at low doses it probably wouldn't build up in the system over time. Especially since it isn't metabolized by P450, which would be good for me since i'm a fast 450 metabolizer. If you keep having success, I'll probably give it a shot. Pardon me using you as a guinea pig. :)

rebar

No negative symptoms, the problem of unsettling dreams shouldn't be an issue considering how it works.

rebar

well, first I apologize for not following through and posting when it stopped working. For close to a week it worked
beautifully, then nothing. I've sInce done a month on neomycin for SIBO-C. I was prescribed lizness after not regaining
function, that too worked for about a week. During the course of neomycin I took C. Butyricum, building up to 3 to 4 with breakfast (small 180mg dose) and 2 with dinner. My body "seems" to be adjusting to C.B., and my issue is improving, for now.

rebar

Stopped LDN about a week ago, not for previous problems. My system occasionally collapses into
chaos, -inflammatory, skin, lymph nodes, digestive, cognitive, pain, etc. I then stop everything.

SwanRonson

What dosage were you at? At the recent meeting with Dr. Younger he mentioned that they have slowly crept up their dosage recommendations over the years. He said they've found people doing a lot better on anywhere from 6-9mg. I've never taken it.

rosie26

Not sure if this will work where you live but there are numerous places online where you can order it without a prescription.
I'm in NZ. I have an appointment with my ME doctor next week and she apparently will prescribe it. Just hope she will for me - she has been pretty good though. I don't think I will have any trouble getting it. Thanks JPV. I hope you get some good results from it when you do try it.