• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has Big Pharma caused us mitochondrial damage?

Has Big Pharma casued us collateral damage? or is this this just conspiracybabble?

“Mitochondrial damage is now understood to play a role in a wide range of seemingly unrelated disorders such as schizophrenia, diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Recently it has become known that iatrogenic (physician or treatment-caused) mitochondrial damage explains many adverse reactions from medications.” – John Neustadt, MD and Steven Pieczenik, MD

“All classes of psychotropic drugs have been documented to damage mitochondria, as have statin medications, analgesics such as acetaminophen, and many others.” – John Neustadt, MD and Steven Pieczenik, MD

http://www.globalresearch.ca/mitochondrial-collateral-damage-thanks-to-big-pharma/5447650

Tired of being sick

It makes sense since Monsanto and Phizer has astronomically huge profits to gain by making people sick through food and pharmaceutical needs.

every human is a walking ATM machine in Monsanto and Phizer's Pharmacia LLC's eyes.

Corporate Relationships Among Monsanto Company ...
www.monsanto.com › Who We Are › Company History
Monsanto
Former Monsanto is today known as Pharmacia LLC. Pharmacia is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Pfizer Inc., which operates the Pharmaceuticals Business.

Gondwanaland

I just read on another forum a woman said taking statins caused her to have fibromyalgia. She stopped taking and the FM is gone. For me it was warfarin to cause me FM, and I stopped taking it in 2013, but my FM comes and goes (terrible flare right now).

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have just started a low dose statin after my dr strongly suggested it. Cholesterol was quite high and we did several blood tests a few months apart with similar high results. In the past my cholesterol would go high and then back to normal from one test to the other without any dietary changes. I think probably a weird cfs thing.

I have been on q10 for quite some time and probably 6months on 400mg a day .

Been on crestor 5mg for only a week. I haven't noticed any symptoms from it yet but i am keeping my eyes on it.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
@heapsreal In hindsight, I may have had mild ME/CFS prior to taking statins, but I am not sure.

During 2010 and 2011, I had a number of viruses/infections and a lot of stress in my life due to the ill health and death of both parents, family member jailed, high pressure job as a lawyer etc etc. I am a skinny type 2 diabetic and my sugar levels were increasing, despite best efforts.

Around March 2011, I started meds for diabetes. Around the same time, I noticed that I was fatiguing more quickly and easily during exercise eg cycling, weights at the gym etc.

In around July 2011, I was prescribed statins for elevated cholesterol (genetic). I experienced muscle weakness, had trouble walking, was shuffling and had trouble getting my hands to work properly. I didn't know about the potential risks with taking statins and thought it was a diabetic med I was trying, so I changed to another diabetic med. I then stopped the statins after about 4 weeks, not knowing whether or not they were the cause of my problems.

The severe muscle symptoms largely resolved after this, but I was still having trouble with repeated viruses/infections and early fatigue during exercise. I cut back on exercise. I kept working.

In around September 2011 I was prescribed different statins at a lower dose. After only a few days, I experienced worse symptoms than in July 2011. I stopped the statins, and the symptoms eased a bit but never went away.

After this time, my health deteriorated and I was hospitalised in November 2011 with what I now understand to be severe ME/CFS. At the time I was diagnosed with statin induced myopathy. In March 2012 I was diagnosed with severe ME/CFS.

I have since had genetic testing through 23andme which showed that I am at a significant risk for muscle problems from statins. I am also now aware that it is not recommended that people with ME/CFS take statins.

I was never the same after the second lot of statins. It was all downhill after that with severe ME/CFS.

I am aware of the view that statins impact on CoQ10 levels. At my local chemist they advertise Faulding's CoQ10 for people taking statins! I take modest amounts of CoQ10.

Best wishes, Andy

Last edited:

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
I have just started a low dose statin after my dr strongly suggested it. Cholesterol was quite high and we did several blood tests a few months apart with similar high results. In the past my cholesterol would go high and then back to normal from one test to the other without any dietary changes. I think probably a weird cfs thing.

I have been on q10 for quite some time and probably 6months on 400mg a day .

Been on crestor 5mg for only a week. I haven't noticed any symptoms from it yet but i am keeping my eyes on it.
@heapsreal please be careful with this. I would not recommend it. There are other cholesterol reducing options called fibrates I think. That said, my endo won't let me take them as they too can apparently affect muscles.

If I could turn back time, not taking statins would be top of my list, followed by not keeping on trying to work while I was ill.

heapsreal

@heapsreal please be careful with this. I would not recommend it. There are other cholesterol reducing options called fibrates I think. That said, my endo won't let me take them as they too can apparently affect muscles.

If I could turn back time, not taking statins would be top of my list, followed by not keeping on trying to work while I was ill.

Have fibrates reduced your cholesterol?
Any other options?
Have tried non flushing niacin which didnt help?

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Haven't taken fibrates due to opinion of endo who I respect.

Have played around with diet, not much to work with.

A family member had a rash from statins and now takes fibrates successfully.

heapsreal

Haven't taken fibrates due to opinion of endo who I respect.

Have played around with diet, not much to work with.

A family member had a rash from statins and now takes fibrates successfully.

Looks like fibrates have side effects of muscle problems also.

in the past i have found cutting carbs lowered cholesterol but not now, probably aging? I guess it seems many people dont have side effects from statins, i guess i need to keep an eye on things. Cholesterol is in the 9s so i need to do something to lower my risk of having a heart attack ? ?

I will keep searching for alternatives .

barbc56

The first thing my rheumatologist did after a workup to see if I had fibromyalgia was to take me off my statin for several months. It didn't help and my symptoms even got worse, not from being off the statin but most likely because it was the start of my FM.

My cholesterol also shot uo despite tthe fact I have always eaten a healthy diet and my weight at the time was on the lower side of normal.

Statins do have the side effect of muscle aches so sometimes, as in many medical decisions, its a matter of evaluating the risks verses the benefits.So this doesn't mean to completly discount taking statins as it depends on the individual's circumstances.

Someone who takes statins, devolves FM symptoms which discontnue when taken off them, most likely never had FM but were experiencing side effects.

Barb

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Have fibrates reduced your cholesterol?
Any other options?
Have tried non flushing niacin which didnt help?

I trialed 3 different statins (not Crestor) and had to stop all 3 due to aggravated muscle pain. I already had muscle pain, but statins made it worse. Lipitor was the worst offender.

I eventually went fenofibrate because my triglycerides were in the 350 - 400 range. It worked great and switched to "Lovaza (prescription fish oil)" after about 6 months. That was 5 years ago, but after I dropped 20 pounds and started watching carbs my triglycerides and cholesterol have been good. I wish my HDL would get above 41 though. It's been between 39 - 41 for the last 15 years. No supplements or diet has had any affect on it.

I will say when my testosterone is a little low I have lower LDL/Triglycerides, but it doesn't vary a lot.

heapsreal

Supposedly niacin (vitamin B3) is a common and effective alternative to statins. It might be worth discussing it with your doctor to see if it would be more appropriate.

Too much flushing with niacin even slowly tapering and have used a slow release still flushed too much to function. Tried the non flushing form but it didnt really have any effect .

I think with alot of us we need exercise to help control cholesterol and weight but because of cfs/me we cant. If i could lose weight would help but its hard without exercise to help increase metabolism .

Its been 9 days on crestor and i haven't had any increase in muscle pains or unusual side effects. If i can find an alternative or drop a good amount of weight then maybe go off statin and retest??

i just don't know , a heart attack on top off ME would probably finish me off??? Just hope like hell all the antioxidants I have taken over the years has prevented cholesterol build up in the arteries.

cheers

barbc56

Niacin for controlling cholesterol. It looks like it's sciece based. If it is, I can see the following as problematic. Fortunately, you can get Niacin by prescription.

Niacin is also available as an over-the-counter supplement. Supplements sold over-the-counter are not regulated like prescription medications. The ingredients, formulations and effects of over-the-counter niacin can vary widely.

Don't take niacin without discussing it with your doctor first because niacin can cause serious side effects when taken in high doses
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/niacin/art-20046208

barbc56

Its been 9 days on crestor and i haven't had any increase in muscle pains or unusual side effects. If i can find an alternative or drop a good amount of weight then maybe go off statin and retest

It's important to talk to your doctor about the risks vs. benefits.

Unfortunately, my type of high cholesterol is supposedly inheritedl

Barb