• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anecdotal News: Retroviroligist finds XMRV in Europe

Frank

Frank and others - my 50 dollar bet is that Jonas Blomberg has found XMRV in the patients in his study using his very own developed MegaBeacon...

If so, this is very good news. Jonas Blomberg and Prof Kenny De Meirleir connected at the Gothenburg conference in late November.

Unofficial, Prof Kenny De Meirleir is open up a practise in Stockholm as well as the one he is running i Oslo.

CBS

"Prof. K.deMeirleir reports that a European retrovirologist (who is not named) found XMRV in blood of CFS patients with their own techniques. This after the publication in Science and 2 later studies which could not confirm the XMRV finding. "
http://www.nujij.nl/ook-europese-retroviroloog-vindt-xmrv-in-bloed.7952008.lynkx

I went to the link posted above and apparently there is a problem with my browser. It looks like all of the characters have been scrambled and I can't read a thing except something, something something, 'XMRV,' and then something that looks like it might be blood and then a few more somethings and then something like 'patient' but its misspelled. Hmmmm?

Ook Europese retroviroloog vindt XMRV in bloed CVS patienten.

K

Katie

I went to the link posted above and apparently there is a problem with my browser. It looks like all of the characters have been scrambled and I can't read a thing except something, something something, 'XMRV,' and then something that looks like it might be blood and then a few more somethings and then something like 'patient' but its misspelled. Hmmmm?

It's Dutch. Lmao.

Navid

cbs/katie thanks for the chuckle

It's Dutch. Lmao.

this is soo funny. i always crack up (laughing) when my brain doesnt recognize something fairly obvious and then someone else points out what it is...the duh? moment...

once i was in sears looking at inflatable boats. on the outside of one box it had MOTOR printed.....i kept saying over and over to my friend MOW...Tour, MOW....Tour, what is a MOW TOUR...he looked at me like i was crazy and then i started cracking up laughing when i finally recognized motor, oh yeah it's a motor.

hope you get the same laugh cbs when you look at the dutch again :D

Detection and Quantification of Variable Viral RNA by Real-Time PCR Assays
by Muradrasoli, Shaman

Abstract (Summary)
As the area of nucleic acid based technologies develops, so will our understanding of how structural variations in DNA and RNA pathogens are associated with disease. The overall goal of this thesis is the development of broadly targeted measurement techniques for variable viral RNA by Real-Time PCR (here referred to as quantitative reverse transcriptase PCR, QRT-PCR). In papers I & II, broadly targeted and specific QRT-PCRs were used to study expression of endogenous and exogenous betaretrovirus sequences in human tissues. Results from human tissues demonstrated endogenous betaretrovirus expression in a tissue-specific manner, highest in reproductive tissues. Despite the high sensitivity, no exogenous betaretrovirus was found in human breast cancer samples. The limits of primer and probe degeneracy for detection of a diverse set of retroviral sequences was evaluated. These methods are useful for further investigations on the pathophysiological contribution(s) of endogenous betaretrovirus and to investigate whether an exogenous betaretrovirus is involved in human breast cancer.

In papers III & IV, we developed and applied broadly targeted one-step QRT-PCRs for influenza viruses and coronaviruses. In addition to the generic primers, two novel probe design strategies were used in order to be able to broadly amplify these diverse sets of viruses: A triplex system for simultaneous detection and quantification of influenza A, B and C (3QRT-PCR and further developed 3QRT-PCR-MegB; where MegB stands for MegaBeacon) based on TaqMan and MegB probes, and a pan-CoV QRT-PCR, based on three TaqMan probes i.e., degeneracy was distributed on three probes. Probe fault tolerance was thus increased in two ways, either with short probes with/without locked nucleic acid (LNA) nucleotides concentrated to conserved stretches, or with long probes (MegB), compensating mismatching positions with many matching ones. Clinical samples, negative by antigen detection with immunofluorescence (IFA), were influenza A positive with 3QPCR-MegB. Avian pooled samples, negative with an earlier pan-CoV QPCR, came out positive with the triple-probe system. Assay evaluation with clinical samples and reference strains revealed good clinical diagnostic potential.Thus, the thesis describes several strategies to counteract sequence variation of RNA viruses and describes a set of broadly targeted QRT-PCRs useful for scientific screening or diagnostics of betaretroviruses and respiratory viruses.

Bibliographical Information:
Advisor:
School:Uppsala universitet
School Location:Sweden
Source Type:Master's Thesis

It's all so uncertain still, but independant confirmation of the WPI's results would be massive news for XMRV and CFS. So hungry for news like this.

Abraxas

Frank and others - my 50 dollar bet is that Jonas Blomberg has found XMRV in the patients in his study using his very own developed MegaBeacon...

If so, this is very good news. Jonas Blomberg and Prof Kenny De Meirleir connected at the Gothenburg conference in late November.

Unofficial, Prof Kenny De Meirleir is open up a practise in Stockholm as well as the one he is running i Oslo.

Sounds hopeful.

Anyone wanting more info on Blomberg and his MegaBeacon - see this thread from a couple of months back : http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?1214-European-replication-of-xmrv-study!!!

A

anne

And that's why the UK people couldn't find it. They forgot the bacon.

I've been talking to a doctor in Munich who works with the Robert Koch Institute and he told me that although they had problems in the beginning they now seem to have found a good way of testing. Many of his patients are XMRV positive. First results will be published in March.