• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Making your own injectable methylcobalmin

Has anyone on this forum tried making their own injectable methylcobalamin from pure powder? The pure powder can be ordered from China. With sterile lab technique and darkroom conditions, it seem like it would be fairly easy to make.

I know that Fredd's protocol calls for the sublinguals. This is due to the inconsistent quality among the compounded MB12 injections. Still, I do best with the injections.

I'd like to try making MB12 25 mg/ml solution myself and would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with experience doing something like this.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Has anyone on this forum tried making their own injectable methylcobalamin from pure powder? The pure powder can be ordered from China. With sterile lab technique and darkroom conditions, it seem like it would be fairly easy to make.
I'd really be cautious here, especially with China's track record with immpurities.
I'd like to try making MB12 25 mg/ml solution myself and would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with experience doing something like this.
Just to emphasize, you really need to know what you are doing and have a sterile room -- this could be one of those "Don't try this at home," things.

Sushi

whodathunkit

If I could be assured of sterility of product and purity of source and I had a dark room, I'd probably give it a whirl, myself. But as already noted, the manufacturing and quality issues regarding the powder are fairly prohibitive ifs.

There's a discussion about buying B12 crystals here, in a discussion about inhaling B12. I don't think anyone found a satisfactory source.

Thanks for pointing out this thread. I read through it and came up with the same conclusion. No on has found a satisfactory source of MB12 crystals.

I agree completely with the need for sterile sealed medical grade MB12 for injection. My understanding is that all MB12 is manufactured in China, so there is no choice as to country of origin.

Alibaba.com is the source I was looking at. The following distributor provides 10 g for $350. He emailed the COA and said the chemical grade is: EP7 and USP36. Still, I don't know if the information can be trusted.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/methylcobalamin-Methyl-B12-NOT-other-forms_566327395.html

Before I found my way to phoenix rising, I read through the high dose B12 discussion on http://forumswrongdiagnosis.com. Kevinmillhill gave his protocol for making an injectable solution. I can't find that post for the life of me. The thread is thousands of pages long and has an inadequate search engine.

Before being disabled, I was a biochemistry lab technician. If I had pure MB12, it would be quite simple to compound a 25 mg/ml sterile solution. So if anyone knows how to determine if a source is reliable, I'd be really appreciative.

Hip

I was thinking along similar lines a few years ago, and was wondering whether it is possible to make sterile injectable solutions out of pure but non-sterile chemical compounds. Are there techniques to achieve this? For example, is heating the solution to boiling point for some time an adequate sterilization method? Presumably it helps, because this is what I have seen on TV when heroin users inject. I am not sure how may times they get infections though.

Methylcobalamin is actually heat stable, even though it is not light stable.

However, even if you could sterilize a methylcobalamin solution, the problem might then be how you would store that in sterile containers. Normally I think you use either sealed glass vials, or one of those sealed tiny bottles with a rubber top which you can stick a needle through without opening the bottle seal.

I found this article on sterilization interesting: Sterilization (microbiology) - Wikipedia

One alternative angle to look at is the very innovative ideas on this thread, in which people have successfully used electronic cigarettes to deliver what appears to be substantial doses of vaporized methylcobalamin via the lungs. This method administration is also be easier to perform than an injection.

Methylcobalamin is actually heat stable, even though it is not light stable.

However, even if you could sterilize a methylcobalamin solution, the problem might then be how you would store that in sterile containers. Normally I think you use either sealed glass vials, or one of those sealed tiny bottles with a rubber top which you can stick a needle through without opening the bottle seal.

I found this article on sterilization interesting: Sterilization (microbiology) - Wikipedia

Directions for making a sterile saline solution call for boiling the water 15 minutes. Perhaps that would be how long the B12 would need to be boiled. Even though MB12 is considered heat stable, I wonder if it could handle that long duration of heat.

I have many glass vials with rubber tops from the days I could get preservative free MB12 in reusable vials. (Now I have to get prefilled syringes due to stricter regulations). Those could be boiled 15 minutes, filled with solution, sealed with tape and stored in the fridge. Perhaps the freezer would be OK.

More than the sterility, the purity of the B12 powder is what has me so stumped. I don't know if the "Certificate of Analysis" sheets from China can be trusted. Short of having a spectrum analyzer, how do you verify their test results?

I've been going back over the wrong diagnosis forum to see if I can find the directions posted there. So far no luck. It is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Hip

@Linda828
I take it you have tried B12 hydroxocobalamin, but this does not work for you as wells methylcobalamin. Goldpharma.com does some of the lowest price hydroxocobalamin injectables I have seen, and of course this does not have the same problems with light sensitivity, so I imagine there will not be an issue of batch quality variations. Unfortunately they don't sell methylcobalamin injectables.

@Linda828
I take it you have tried B12 hydroxocobalamin, but this does not work for you as wells methylcobalamin. .

Actually, I haven't tried the hydroxocobalamin. Brain methylation is an important part of why I take the methyl form. Also, I've been very influenced by Freddd's views on the topic.

I plowed my way through the wrongdiagnosis forum for the directions on compounding your own MB12 and actually found them after a few hours. I'm in the process of ordering 10 g from China. I can report on the results if you are interested.

Hip

@Linda828
Are you seeing benefits from doing methylation?

According to Amy Yasko, the best type of B12 can be determined by your COMT V158M and VDR Taq SNPs. If you look about half way down this Yasko document:

Dr. Amy's Simplified Road Map to Health

you will see a table showing how you can work out your ideal form of B12. Just how much scientific validity and empirical evidence there is behind this table I don't know.

@Linda828
Are you seeing benefits from doing methylation?

According to Amy Yasko, the best type of B12 can be determined by your COMT V158M and VDR Taq SNPs. If you look about half way down this Yasko document:

Dr. Amy's Simplified Road Map to Health

you will see a table showing how you can work out your ideal form of B12. Just how much scientific validity and empirical evidence there is behind this table I don't know.
Hello Hip,
Thank you for the link to Yasko's road map. I did the 23 and me test a while ago but don't remember exact details. According to the results, I am an overmethylator and should take hydroxycobalamin. I have never had a problem with the MB12, though, so maybe there are other balancing factors. I am extremely sensitive to supplements ( MCS is my primary illness) so when there is a problem it is usually very obvious.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
The sterilization problem ca be easily solved by running the solution through a sterile 2 micron filter.

And what hen is the solution to be caught in before it is drawn up into a new syringe - it would need to be a sterile container also free of endotoxin from dirt.

It would be perfectly possible to do this if you have a full training in sterile technique but anyone who does not have a full training in sterile technique is quite likely to contaminate their medicine with something nasty. I think we should make it clear that nobody on this site should be encouraging other people to make up solutions without proper training. Drug addicts die of this sort of problem on a very regular basis. You might not get septicaemia but you might get a nasty local inflammation with thrombophlebitis of a nearby vein and goodness knows what.

The sterilization problem ca be easily solved by running the solution through a sterile 2 micron filter.

What is the advantage of running the solution through a sterile 2 micron filter over simply sterilizing all the bottles, saline solution, and utensils with boiling water?

The MB12 itself comes in a sealed sterile foil package. Perhaps you are addressing the issue of contamination of the reagents. The MB12 is pharmaceutical grade, as is the salt..

I have made my own MB12 25 mg/ml injectable and have been using it for the last few months. Actually, I do better with it than what I used to get at the compounding pharmacy.

I totally agree about not doing this process if unfamiliar with lab techniques and don't mean to be encourage recklessness. For those few who can responsibly do it, though, it can make the difference between making an intensive therapy possible and having it be prohibitively costly.

skwag

Hi @Linda828,

I'm glad to hear your injections are working for you. It seems like you may have found a good source of MB12. Can you share where you picked it up?

Hi @Linda828,

I'm glad to hear your injections are working for you. It seems like you may have found a good source of MB12. Can you share where you picked it up?

I ordered 10g from China from the site www.alibaba.com. The specific company I got it from was :

http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...27395.html?spm=a2700.7724838.102.7.Rq4jcv&s=p

According to them it is pharmaceutical grade and non-GMO.

One of the main advantages for me of home compounding is being able to make it under dark light conditions. I could not find a compounding pharmacy that did so. One lab claimed they did, and then it turned out that all they meant is that there was no light in the hood they mixed it under.