• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Racetams/noopept ^acetylcholine and ^vasopressin ADH

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have posted on this before but generally related to cognitive effects of racetams eg piracetam, aniracetam, noopept.

I have been using noopept off and on for awhile with only very mild effects on improving cognitive effects. What i did find was that urinary frequency greatly decreased. I mainly use it when i go to work as it reduces how often i have to run off to the loo. I do remember reading something about racetams possibly doing this but wasnt quite sure.

My own testing/measuring showed my urine outflow is close to 10 litres a day, normal is 1 to 1.5L a day. I did have blood work on ADH and other electrolytes which werent too bad but i think i probably do ok hydrating myself and i have an ongoing thirst which possibly helps with keeping hydrated to a point. I spoke things over with my dr about using desmopressin which is used in diabetes insipidus, but he was hesitant and basically said my labs werent far enough out of range that he could prescribe this sort of treatment.

Many mecfsers probably have similar issues to diabetes insipidus where they urinate all the time and this can have a big effect on orthostatic issues, especially if one doesnt have a great thirst and hydrates themselves properly.

So last night after some research, it appears that the acetylcholine increases from racetams, can help regulate the autonomic nervous system/parasympathetic nervous system which regulates urination and digestive function. It appears that acetylcholine increases vasopressin/ADH and this could be an alternative to drugs/hormones such as desmopressin.

So those with hypotensive POTS it may be worth trying and cautiously with those who have hypertensive POTS and possibly could help some who have digestive issues and bowel function. Many mecsfers have issues with constipation and diarrhoea, its possible this may help, although i dont have any personal experience on that side of things.

I would be interested to hear from others who have noticed any of these effects from racetams or who try them down the track.

cheers!!

helen1

Wow that's a lot of urine outflow @heapsreal.

Interesting about racetams. I also have this problem with too much urination and am trying to cut down on diuretic foods in the evening to at least help with night time peeing. It's actually helping a lot. No more cabbage, cucumbers, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, zucchini in the evening, all diuretic. I think I've read that a lot of fruit is diuretic too.

But why do these foods affect me so much this way and not healthy people?

The only antidiuretic foods or herbs i could find are cordyceps mushrooms and licorice (real stuff); they help a bit at night too. But licorice shouldn't be taken for more than 10 days in a row and cordyceps has lots of properties to be careful of too.

I think I'll look into the racetams. Any down sides to be careful of?

Hip

Interesting observations, heapsreal.

What dosing of noopept are you taking to get this reduction in urinary frequency?

Noopept is a peptide analog of the active fragment of the antidiuretic hormone vasopressin, so this likely explains why it can reduce urinary frequency.

heapsreal

Interesting observations, heapsreal.

What dosing of noopept are you taking to get this reduction in urinary frequency?

Noopept is a peptide analog of the active fragment of the antidiuretic hormone vasopressin, so this likely explains why it can reduce urinary frequency.

Just taking 10mg in the morning between 2-4 times a week.

Hip, im not 100% sure but seem to recall noopept may not be a racetam or different to other racetams. I have seen vasopressin nasal sprays advertised in antiaging sites to help with memory and other cognitive issues, so seems to be alot of overlap.

@helen1 seems to be alot of overlap between adrenal fatigue/dysfunction and frequent urination and POTS, so im guessing some of the herbs used for adrenal fatigue may help such as licorice.

I havent been able to find too much info on racetams and urinary frequency, seems to be all about cognitive issues such as memory etc

Hip

Hip, im not 100% sure but seem to recall noopept may not be a racetam or different to other racetams.

Yes, I read that noopept is usually grouped with the racetams, and has similar effects, but noopept is a peptide derivative of piracetam, so is not technically a racetam.

Did you ever try fasoracetam (aka: NS-105 or LAM-105)?

This is a racetam nootropic with antidepressant, anti-anxiety, improving ADHD effects. Though it is considered a research chemical.

Last edited:

heapsreal

Yes, I read that noopept is usually grouped with the racetams, and has similar effects, but noopept is a peptide derivative of piracetam, so is not technically a racetam.

Did you ever try fasoracetam (aka: NS-105 or LAM-105)?

This is a racetam nootropic with antidepressant, anti-anxiety, improving ADHD effects. Though it is considered a research chemical.

Cant say i have, i have never heard of it but it looks interesting after a quick google. There seems to be a lot more racetams on the market in recent times.

Ema

[/QUOTE]@helen1 seems to be alot of overlap between adrenal fatigue/dysfunction and frequent urination and POTS, so im guessing some of the herbs used for adrenal fatigue may help such as licorice.

[/QUOTE]

Licorice is often used to boost aldosterone which also has a role in fluid balance.

I took licorice for a long time. Years. I think as long as you watch your BP and electrolytes, the risk is quite small. After all, people take Florinef for life sometimes and that is just the synthetic version of aldosterone.

xks201

Measure the specific gravity of your urine. Doctors have already figured out and even a pubmed study showed that people with cfs can make vasopressin but do not make enough of it consistently. Or your kidneys might not be responding to it which is primary diabetes insipidus. Have you tried vasopressin? What are your sodium levels like? I'm amazed you haven't sought treatment with urine output that high.

Raceland have never done much of anything for me except phenylpiracetam and it was dirty contaminated like many noot powder is from overseas (verified by huge noot seller I know that batches come in every month contaminated from factories with overseas)