• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VDR Taq mutation and vitamin D

Hi,

I have a homogeneous mutilation for the VDR Taq (TT) and hetro for VDR Folk (Ff). I’ve been researching the effects of Vitamin D and are quite amazed at its importance especially in restorative sleep (work shown by Dr Stasha Gominak).

For those that have an inhibited Vitamin D receptor, has this simply been a matter of supplementing D3 to get levels in the right range or is there more to it?

Also, if the receptor is infective, does it make sense to stagger D3 supplements to allow for continuous absorption oppose to flooding the body?

Gary

drob31

Honestly, I supplemented 10,000 IU's a day for a few months and it didn't budge my 25,hydroxy levels. However, I think sunlight will do a much better job.

SOC

@Gary1001~
On the advice of my doctor, I took 7500 IU sublingually daily for more than a year to finally get my vitamin D levels in range. It also takes that much to keep it there. Any less and I drop below range again. I don't stagger my dose, but perhaps I should. :)

We spent several years increasing the dose, trying to find the dose that would keep me in range. We didn't expect it would take so much just to keep me at the low end of normal range, but it does. Sunlight alone doesn't do it for me.

I do feel noticeably better when my vitamin D levels are in range.

Very interesting. Sublingually, I didn't think of that. It makes sense, this is the way I that B12 and melatonin.

WoolPippi

What's the range you're aiming for?

OP, yes I do better since upping the dose. but there's more to it. Restorative sleep came after vit D ànd catering to my personal cocktail of neurotransmitters. In my case: avoid neural excitement (things keep bouncing around due to homoz. MAO A, for one)

"No neural exitement" = no sugar/insuline surge during the day; calming of the CNS through rest, valerian, breathing etc.; low methionine diet; HRT; ...?...

And still I'm writing you this during insomnia ;) but that's the exception now. :)
Dr. Gominak is good.

PennyIA

I took 5000's IU's daily and while my test results improved, I never noticed any improvement until I switched to D3 oil... sublingual and I found it helped a lot with my unrefreshing sleep - though not all alone, I also need muscle relaxants and other methylation treatment... but I notice the lack of D3 oil when I skip and never noticed anything while on tablets.

What's the range you're aiming for?

Dr Gominak was very specific that the range needed to be 60-80 (not sure was the unit of measurement is but the stand D3 bloods). It was interesting, she mentioned getting excited and treating herself and patients with high D3 and exacerbating the situation. She even seemed to imply a D3 reading of 90 contributed to a patient having a stroke.

Sounds like overwhelming advice to use sublingual oil. Makes sense, we are meant to create D3 by sun on our skin not by ingesting. I actually have some Throne Research D3 oil from a few years back to will start with that.

Wally

@Gary1001,

Since you mentioned Dr. Grominak, whose work with Vitamin D is something that I also find very interesting, I am re-posting the link to her lecture from 2013. The lecture is available on YouTube and is divided into five parts with a running time of approximately 15 minutes for each video. I thought Forum members might be interested in viewing her lecture about Vitamin D, if this particular thread had not been seen before.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...o-vitamin-d-2013-lecture-by-dr-gominak.24019/

Wally

Thanks Wally. I really found her theory that sleep is the period where we reproduce neurotransmitters and other chemicals. Once these substances run out, out bodies get tired and we sleep again. She links chronic disease to disrupted sleep (or recovery phase) due to breathing problems during stage 3/4 and REM sleep, i.e. each time we enter into the right stage we move or cant breath and awake up. This is something I can relate to and have seen the same pattern in myself (I monitor using a ZEO and sleep apnea machine).

I think she links the foundation of sleep to producing dopamine which is in turn linked to D3 levels. She then links lack of D3 to a modern lifestyle - artificial light at night, sunscreen and air conditioning.

On the advice of my doctor, I took 7500 IU sublingually daily for more than a year to finally get my vitamin D levels in range. It also takes that much to keep it there. Any less and I drop below range again. I don't stagger my dose, but perhaps I should. :)

Question, how long do you keep under your tongue?

SOC

Question, how long do you keep under your tongue?
As long as I can manage without swallowing it. ;) That ends up being not much more than a few minutes.

Frankly, I have no idea if D3 is actually absorbed better sublingually or how long it needs to stay under the tongue to absorb effectively if it does. This is one case where I just did what my doctor suggested without asking a lot of questions because I've got so many bigger things in my treatment plan to be thinking about. :p

WoolPippi

Thanks Wally. I really found her theory that sleep is the period where we reproduce neurotransmitters and other chemicals. Once these substances run out, out bodies get tired and we sleep again. She links chronic disease to disrupted sleep (or recovery phase) due to breathing problems during stage 3/4 and REM sleep
Human Growth Hormone, the great repair-service of the body, is mainly produced in one sleep stage and when that stage is disrupted normal repairs are not possible.

I forget which stage, 4 or REM I think.