• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

protocol for treating candida with nystatin?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. It is very exciting to think that I might finally have found a source of knowledge with regards to my cfs and candida/ treatment protocols. I suppose I'll jump right in. I convinced my Nurse Practitioner to prescribe Nystatin for what I consider a long standing candida infection. 500,000 units 4 times daily. I am also doing the diet and taking probiotics. I'm concerned that this might not work due to yeast resistance to the drug. I'm also wondering if I should be taking natural antifungal at the same time? I read through a thread on this site that discussed the use of enzymes in Candida treatment....I'm feeling overwhelmed, and my np can't help because she doesn't know much about candida, yet wants to support me and give it a try. What has worked best for you? Has anyone used nystatin successfully? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you so much!

Wendy

ebethc

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. It is very exciting to think that I might finally have found a source of knowledge with regards to my cfs and candida/ treatment protocols. I suppose I'll jump right in. I convinced my Nurse Practitioner to prescribe Nystatin for what I consider a long standing candida infection. 500,000 units 4 times daily. I am also doing the diet and taking probiotics. I'm concerned that this might not work due to yeast resistance to the drug. I'm also wondering if I should be taking natural antifungal at the same time? I read through a thread on this site that discussed the use of enzymes in Candida treatment....I'm feeling overwhelmed, and my np can't help because she doesn't know much about candida, yet wants to support me and give it a try. What has worked best for you? Has anyone used nystatin successfully? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you so much!

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I found some relief by taking these 2 products:

Thorne SF722
https://shop.thorne.com/formula-sf722-reg
http://www.amazon.com/Thorne-Resear...UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=byRankDescending

Bacillus Coagulens
http://www.amazon.com/Thorne-Resear...sbs_hpc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Q0Y1ZCBN1G4Z5HR2EYV

Nystatin made me extremely sick... I got through it by telling myself that I was going through a "die off" and I would feel better once I was through that period... well, I was just sick, then went back to my typical (not great) baseline... The SF722 & Bacillus Coagulens helped and didn't make me sick... Not cheap, though.

good luck!

Hi Wendy,

I found some relief by taking these 2 products:

Thorne SF722
https://shop.thorne.com/formula-sf722-reg
http://www.amazon.com/Thorne-Resear...UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=byRankDescending

Bacillus Coagulens
http://www.amazon.com/Thorne-Resear...sbs_hpc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Q0Y1ZCBN1G4Z5HR2EYV

Nystatin made me extremely sick... I got through it by telling myself that I was going through a "die off" and I would feel better once I was through that period... well, I was just sick, then went back to my typical (not great) baseline... The SF722 & Bacillus Coagulens helped and didn't make me sick... Not cheap, though.

good luck!
Thank you for your response ebethc. I will look into the products you recommended.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm also wondering if I should be taking natural antifungal at the same time? I read through a thread on this site that discussed the use of enzymes in Candida treatment....I'm feeling overwhelmed, and my np can't help because she doesn't know much about candida, yet wants to support me and give it a try. What has worked best for you? Has anyone used nystatin successfully? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Nystatin is actually a "natural" anti-fungal. It is an extract from the soil in NY state = NY-stat-in.

Nystatin was never enough for me though it is a good approach for some. I have added other things like caprylic acid, garlic, oregano oil and most everything elso in the yeast killer category. A couple of times I took 1 to 2 months courses of Diflucan when it was really bad. In my experience once you have a significant candida problem, you have to keep treating it on a maintenance basis indefinitely

Sushi

Nystatin is actually a "natural" anti-fungal. It is an extract from the soil in NY state = NY-stat-in.

Nystatin was never enough for me though it is a good approach for some. I have added other things like caprylic acid, garlic, oregano oil and most everything elso in the yeast killer category. A couple of times I took 1 to 2 months courses of Diflucan when it was really bad. In my experience once you have a significant candida problem, you have to keep treating it on a maintenance basis indefinitely

Sushi
Hi sushi,
Thank you for responding. I have a few questions for you. Did you take the caprylic acid etc at the same time as the nystatin, or after? I've read that I should continue with nystatin for at least three months. It seems to be working as my baseline CFS symptoms are exacerbated. I'm also a little constipated. Im assuming this is a herx reaction. I've been doing lots of reading on the subject and I'm just not sure what the best protocol is. Did treating candida help to alleviate your CFS/related symptoms?

Thanks,
iguana

Sushi

Did you take the caprylic acid etc at the same time as the nystatin, or after?
I started with nystatin, gave it a few months with some herx reaction but otherwise not much result. Later I added in other things and finally went for Diflucan--which did the job after a couple of months.
Did treating candida help to alleviate your CFS/related symptoms?
No, not at all.

Sushi

sianrecovery

Many ME practitioners used to regards candida as the Rosetta Stone for ME/CFS, now many ignore it. I think its a serious player in the multi-factorial set of conditions that produce malaise, but its hasn't been the main one for me. I do think treating it is important - but as Sushi says - regard it as on-going maintenance, and try lots of things for it. Herbs, enzymes, meds. Rotate them, and don't stay on anything indefinitely. If you want to get a sense of why it persists, read the wikipedia entry on biofilm. I was doing good on this front until I had a few months on co-amoxiclav. Lifestyle is important - sugary foods are not your friend.
I found a good liquid extract of olive leaf, like the one produced by Comvita, particularly useful.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

Sushi

Howdy.

Do most people on chronic abx for lyme take occassional breaks from abx while using a systemic antifungal like diflucan, or do the majority just keep taking abx?. Is nilstat also used intermittently or is it common to stay on nystatin while on abx.

i just wonder if its worth taking a break from abx to repopulate the gut with good bacteria or is it a waste of time as when back on abx it will just kill them off again ? ?

Cheers

ebethc

Sushi

@Sushi - do you think that a profoundly negative reaction to nystatin is a good indication that you have a severe candida problem? I got very sick on nystatin and took it as a sign that it was a "healing crisis" and if I could tough it out (whilst maintaining a candida diet) that I would be better off afterwards. No such luck... I had severe flu-like symptoms, depression, brain fog, fatigue...

Sushi

@Sushi - do you think that a profoundly negative reaction to nystatin is a good indication that you have a severe candida problem? I got very sick on nystatin and took it as a sign that it was a "healing crisis" and if I could tough it out (whilst maintaining a candida diet) that I would be better off afterwards. No such luck... I had severe flu-like symptoms, depression, brain fog, fatigue...
It could be that you just don't do well with nystatin for reasons other than candida, too. When I took it under a doc he had me very slowly titrate the dose up from a tiny dose. He didn't want me to "get a reaction." That worked pretty well for me.

ebethc

It could be that you just don't do well with nystatin for reasons other than candida, too. When I took it under a doc he had me very slowly titrate the dose up from a tiny dose. He didn't want me to "get a reaction." That worked pretty well for me.

@Sushi - yep, hard to tell if it's a prob w nystatin in general, or an indication of how bad my candida is....If I can say that Yes, the worse the candida the worse the Nystatin reaction, then at least I know that's possible..