• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with Methylation Profile

Hi,

I guess I'm just stepping into the world of methylation and genetic testing after spending a long time focusing on gut issues. My health has taken a bit of dive and are really hoping to find some promise by looking at methylation.
Untitled_zpsjri5g6oz.png

There really is an overwhelming amount of information and I need a little help putting my results in context. I'd appreciate thoughts as to whether my situation bad / good / in between and what areas really pop out.

Cheers,

Gary

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Nice looking methylation genes, Gary! I would be glad to have those. You are compound heterozygous for MTHFR (C677T and A1298C). You might have a small loss of function or larger loss of function, it's hard to say. If I were you I might try eating a higher folate diet and/or take up to 400mcg of methylfolate... to see if that helped.

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
Those genes look fine to me. I wouldn't worry about them. A good vitamin B complex, with the nutrients necessary for the methylation cycle, might make you feel a bit better.

Critterina

Nice looking methylation genes, Gary! I would be glad to have those. You are compound heterozygous for MTHFR (C677T and A1298C). You might have a small loss of function or larger loss of function, it's hard to say. If I were you I might try eating a higher folate diet and/or take up to 400mcg of methylfolate.
@Sherpa ,
23andMe reports SNPs in alphabetical order, so while Gary has A1298C and C677T, there is no way to tell whether he's compound (one mutation on each copy of the gene) or simple (two mutations on one strand and one normal strand). Still, I think it's worth some methylfolate if he can tolerate it.
So, @Gary1001 , in my mind, the question is going to be whether your COMT makes you sensitive to methyl donors. If not, @adreno has described it. I like the B Healthy by emerald labs, but I need to supplement that with 1 mg methylfolate to avoid depression it seems. My friend (not on this site) bought B-Healthy from Answers From Nature, and I read the label and will try it next. Others like other combos. If you are sensitive, these will be too much, sort of by definition. There are lots of posts on "start low and go slow", including one in Caledonia's signature block.
Because some people who are sensitive have big setbacks from starting too high, you might be conservative and start low. I don't think it's well understood what combo makes people sensitive, or even if it's all about the SNPS, and not other factors.
Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works. This is how we learn together.

Hi,

Hey thanks for the reponses. I'm glad to hear that its generally good news.

Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works. This is how we learn together.

There are actually a few things I've tried in relation to methylation with fairly negative results (it was the main reason I order this test to work out why). I'll share my experiences and see if make sense in the context of the gene results.
  • Pretty horrible reaction to thorne research basic b complex and pure encapsulations b complex. Just feel edgy with muscle stiffness and migraine type headache. I actually continued with the throne for 12 months convinced it was good for me in the long run. Ditched and replaced with whole foods (org liver) and trying separate B's.
  • Vit B1 (300mg) has a large claiming effect and reduces cramping.
  • Vit B3 (1500mg) is also calming and increase energy by a fraction
  • Vit B6 (P5P) just give me a massive headache.
  • Just started lithium orotate (5mg). Actually felt and increase in energy and felt calmer (early days tho).
  • Both METHYL B12 & ADENOSYL B12 drops make me feel wired and crash days later. It actually feels good but insomnia ensues.
  • Iodine has is a major cause of insomnia. I have ended up just staying away. Even transdermal application has a wired effect.
I also have a couple of questions which I've jotted down (if they make sense).
  • A major symptom is muscle cramping, weakness and fasciculation. I'm interested in the role of GABA and glutamate and whether this aspect can be methylation related. For reference, the fasciculation is bad, on par with this guy
  • The test was done through Doctor Data (via Amy Yasko's webiste). Does this show if the gene mutation is simple or compounded.
  • The double mutations for SHMT and VDR Taq. Are these pretty minor aspects and just need to make sure I get enough Vit D and watch homocysteine levels?