• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tramadol Questions...

ebethc

Does tramadol cause the digestive problems that NSAID's cause?

Does tramadol have any anti-inflammatory effect, or is it solely pain relief?

thanks.

rosamary

thanks.
When I use it I find that it makes me constipated! So it is not like a NSAD.

It is a narcotic-like pain reliever.

Some people like them because it can make you woozy.

They can be addictive.

You should read the do's and don't s on the information leaflet.

You should not drink alcohol if you take them.

GhostGum

There is a little know interaction between Sam-e and tramadol if I recall, for anyone who may be doing methylation supplements and using tramadol, risks serotonin syndrome. I loved tramadol, on and off for years in small doses, but I think it left me more prone to twitches in my sleep (mild seizures?) and cognitive decline; would keep an eye on the latter especially.

ebethc

There is a little know interaction between Sam-e and tramadol if I recall, for anyone who may be doing methylation supplements and using tramadol, risks serotonin syndrome. I loved tramadol, on and off for years in small doses, but I think it left me more prone to twitches in my sleep (mild seizures?) and cognitive decline; would keep an eye on the latter especially.

Cognitive decline! yikes! Does frequent serotonin syndrome cause cognitive decline? what's the cause?

GhostGum

Cognitive decline! yikes! Does frequent serotonin syndrome cause cognitive decline? what's the cause?

I really can not say, but tramadol is know to reduce seizure threshold, who knows what the mechanism is or if it is related. Just after several years of using it, it became more and more obvious that after daily use my memory and ability to recall information became horrendous. Tramadol is a unique opiate I believe, not the same as most standard ones, seems to have some odd sides and activity.

I do not want to put anyone off from using it, I found it incredibly important and helpful for sometime, you just need to keep an eye on it, same with any pain meds I imagine.

On the serotonin syndrome, you just need to be careful of any supplements or meds that will also activate serotonin I guess.

Last edited:

Andielyn

I believe it is Tylenol-based so it won't have the digestive problems of NSAIDs, nor the anti-inflammatory properties.