• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Response to Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Fibromyalgia

Kati

Patient in training
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0124648

Response to Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Fibromyalgia
  • Björn Regland ,
  • Sara Forsmark,
  • Lena Halaouate,
  • Michael Matousek,
  • Birgitta Peilot,
  • Olof Zachrisson,
  • Carl-Gerhard Gottfries
Abstract
Background
Patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME, also called chronic fatigue syndrome) may respond most favorably to frequent vitamin B12 injections, in vital combination with oral folic acid. However, there is no established algorithm for individualized optimal dosages, and rate of improvement may differ considerably between responders.

Objective
To evaluate clinical data from patients with ME, with or without fibromyalgia, who had been on B12 injections at least once a week for six months and up to several years.

Methods
38 patients were included in a cross-sectional survey. Based on a validated observer’s rating scale, they were divided into Good (n = 15) and Mild (n = 23) responders, and the two groups were compared from various clinical aspects.

Results
Good responders had used significantly more frequent injections (p<0.03) and higher doses of B12 (p<0.03) for a longer time (p<0.0005), higher daily amounts of oral folic acid (p<0.003) in good relation with the individual MTHFR genotype, more often thyroid hormones (p<0.02), and no strong analgesics at all, while 70% of Mild responders (p<0.0005) used analgesics such as opioids, duloxetine or pregabalin on a daily basis. In addition to ME, the higher number of patients with fibromyalgia among Mild responders was bordering on significance (p<0.09). Good responders rated themselves as “very much” or “much” improved, while Mild responders rated “much” or “minimally” improved.

Conclusions
Dose-response relationship and long-lasting effects of B12/folic acid support a true positive response in the studied group of patients with ME/fibromyalgia. It’s important to be alert on co-existing thyroid dysfunction, and we suspect a risk of counteracting interference between B12/folic acid and certain opioid analgesics and other drugs that have to be demethylated as part of their metabolism. These issues should be considered when controlled trials for ME and fibromyalgia are to be designed.

barbc56

No control group

At first glance something doesn't add up but I need to read this again as I can't put my finger on it.

Maybe the fact that surveys were used and no blood analysis or were they? I can't tell from the abstract.

Barb

Edit. I now see you can access the full paper.

barbc56

Anyone have a problem with this statement? It seems a bit naive?

As experienced clinicians, we do believe that the overall positive health response cannot be a placebo effect, and that no individual would deliberately care to accept such frequent injective therapy for years, if it hadn’t been for considerable health advantages

Kati

Patient in training
No control group

At first glance something doesn't add up but I need to read this again as I can't put my finger on it.

Maybe the fact that surveys were used and no blood analysis or were they? I can't tell from the abstract.

Barb

Edit. I now see you can access the full paper.

Right, no control group and it seems to me they only recruited patients who had some kind of response to B-12. There are people out there who haven't got a response to B-12

Disclosure: I only read the abstract.

Valentijn

It also sounds like (based on the abstract) they only found significant correlations when subgrouping people according to whether or not they responded to the B12 and folic acid. Which is a nice way of saying that B12 and folic acid help people who are helped by them. It's a bit circular, and doesn't seem to have much to do with the diseases being discussed.

barbc56

It also sounds like (based on the abstract) they only found significant correlations when subgrouping people according to whether or not they responded to the B12 and folic acid. Which is a nice way of saying that B12 and folic acid help people who are helped by them. It's a bit circular, and doesn't seem to have much to do with the diseases being discussed.

I think you hit what was bothering me. It is circular reasoning!

Thanks!

Barb