• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone seen this article? Master Enzyme Switch Deactivated In Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyal

Brand new research published in the last few weeks reveals important information for people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) and Fibromyalgia (FM). The research helps explain why individuals dealing with these complex disorders have poor response to physical activity and poor energy production. The cutting-edge studies offer new insight and tools for supporting these devastating illnesses.

AMPK and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
The Institute of Medicine recently made national headline news by recommending the renaming of CFS/ME to Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disorder (SEID). Many within this community may be dissatisfied at yet another attempt at a dismal name change and limited parameters with the diagnostic criteria, but researchpublished April 2, 2015 helps explain some of the mechanics of exertion intolerance with CFS/ME.

The ground breaking study is entitled “Abnormalities of AMPK Activation and Glucose Uptake in Cultured Skeletal Muscle Cells from Individuals with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome”. Scientists studied skeletal muscle tissue obtained from muscle biopsies of 10 patients with CFS/ME. The muscle cell samples were placed in cultures and stimulated by small electrical pulses for up to 24 hours to cause the muscle cells to contract. They were then compared to healthy control samples.

The results showed that CFS muscle cell cultures had no increase in AMPK phosphorylation or glucose uptake after several hours of electrical stimulation. The test also showed increased myogenin expression at rest and diminished release of IL6. This lack of AMPK activity equates to poor exercise tolerance. While this is a very small sample, this is the first study ever published on this topic of CFS and AMPK activation. It is also important to note that each culture from CFS patients was identified to have this problem.

Read the rest of the ariticle at --http://www.wellnessresources.com/he...d_in_chronic_fatigue_syndrome_and_fibromyalg/

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
@JonathanEdwards Would you mind explaining a little bit more about the basic science regarding activation of AMPK for those of us who aren't scientists!

Thanks

Pam

Dear Pam,
I know very little about this enzyme other than that it is involved in basic respiratory processes. The study on cultured muscle cells is intriguing but is far too preliminary to be considered to have any relevance to clinical care. There has been a very good thread on it and others who know more about these pathways than I do have pointed out that there are some oddities about what has been found in these cells in comparison to what was found on imaging intact muscle. It is also not clear why the enzyme abnormality should persist through cell division in vitro. There are dozens of unanswered questions so the post above seems to me to be entirely inappropriate.

Sorry Jonathan its not my post I just copied and paste the article right on the post. I barely understand it myself. Can you post the thread where it was discussed?

Bob

opening post said:
Consider adding in two minutes of vigorous exercise periodically throughout the day which helps turn on AMPK with any of these nutrients to optimize its effect. Even for those who are severely ill with CFS and FM and struggling with exertion intolerance, doing some type of physical activity as vigorously as they can for 30 seconds up to 2 minutes helps to prime and activate AMPK. Vigorous activity may mean 30 seconds of jumping jacks, standing push-ups against the wall, or partial knee bends. It just means doing something as vigorously as you can for very brief period of time to engage the body within your energy envelope.
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Ecoclimber

Consider adding in two minutes of vigorous exercise periodically throughout the day which helps turn on AMPK with any of these nutrients to optimize its effect. Even for those who are severely ill with CFS and FM and struggling with exertion intolerance, doing some type of physical activity as vigorously as they can for 30 seconds up to 2 minutes helps to prime and activate AMPK. Vigorous activity may mean 30 seconds of jumping jacks, standing push-ups against the wall, or partial knee bends. It just means doing something as vigorously as you can for very brief period of time to engage the body within your energy envelope.

Nooooooooooooooo:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head: Mouse models again.... Wait...did they try this on their mouse models...vigorous activity of 30 seconds of jumping jacks, standing push-ups against the wall, or partial knee bends, first? :jaw-drop:

Bob

AMPK and Fibromyalgia
Researchers tested connective tissue samples taken from Fibromyalgia patients. In testing the fibroblasts found in the connective tissue samples, they found that the AMPK enzyme was also not activated in FM patients. Like the CFS study, the FM patients had a newly identified problem with AMPK function. This loss of AMPK activation causes new mitochondria to not be made and compromises mitochondria function. It also caused reduced oxygen consumption or increased anaerobic activity, and decreased activity of antioxidant enzymes. Both patient groups had impaired AMPK function from oxidative stress.
I've started a separate thread about the research paper that the above paragraph refers/links to.
(I hadn't noticed the fibro research paper before):
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...endent-restoration-of-mito-dysfunction.37056/

ahmo

Marketing?:confused: Pall recommends a range of antioxidants. The readily available and relatively inexpensive green tea and carrots, plus resveratrol, have been a big help in reducing my experience of high peroxynitrite. I've been amazed by the amount of carrots my body has been wanting, but I feel them lessen the closed-in feeling in my head almost immediately. (Closed in, and closing-down being the best description I can manage of this experience.)

...research conducted at the University of Wisconsin indicates that carrots -- particularly red-pigmented carrots -- may also contain high concentrations of the carotene compound lycopene. Lycopene has antioxidant properties...
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/carrots-source-lycopene-1724.html

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
Nooooooooooooooo:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head: Mouse models again.... Wait...did they try this on their mouse models...vigorous activity of 30 seconds of jumping jacks, standing push-ups against the wall, or partial knee bends, first? :jaw-drop:

The mental picture of this rodent triathlon just made me laugh out loud
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

maybe they can give the mice some CBT while they are at it. ;)

SOC

Linda Dobberstein clearly knows jack shit about ME/CFS, especially severe ME/CFS, if she thinks we could do 30 seconds - 2 minutes of jumping jacks several times a day. :rolleyes: I can remember not so long ago when taking a shower, even sitting down, put me in bed for the rest of the day. I'm doing reasonably well for a PWME right now and 30 sec - 2 minutes of jumping jacks periodically through the day would crash me badly.

My guess is she's never seen "those severely ill with CFS" and is therefore totally clueless about how severe the illness can be.

To the chorus of "NO!" I will add --- Hell, no!

Last edited:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Marketing?:confused: Pall recommends a range of antioxidants. The readily available and relatively inexpensive green tea and carrots, plus resveratrol, have been a big help in reducing my experience of high peroxynitrite. I've been amazed by the amount of carrots my body has been wanting, but I feel them lessen the closed-in feeling in my head almost immediately. (Closed in, and closing-down being the best description I can manage of this experience.)

Isn't an advert called marketing? The site is an advert - with 'shopping basket' to click. The 'article' makes no sense at all and is presumably there to increase the income of 'Dr' Dobberstein and the site company. I am all for debating these theories, but not in the context of this sort of washing powder sales pitch.