• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone had an abscessed tooth?

Turns out I have an abscessed tooth and right next to it is a colossal cyst (which could be a Guinness world record contender) eating away my jaw. It has me wondering how much this is effecting my health/symptoms. I get the impression by some things I have read about infections generally, that it could contribute. But I couldn't find any testimonials like "hey, I just got my abscessed tooth pulled and have much more energy".

Anyways, I should be getting operated on in the next few weeks, I'll see what happens.

perchance dreamer

I've had abscessed teeth, and the only 2 options I've ever known of is either to get a root canal or an extraction.

I've had both done. For an upper molar in the back, I had an extraction and chose to get a removable bridge (partial) rather than getting an implant.

I've been extremely satisfied with this. I have no problem chewing and don't feel it at all. I put it in in the morning and leave it in except for cleaning. I remove it at night.

However, that wasn't an option when I had to have 2 lower teeth extracted. We tried root canals, but they didn't work.

The removable bridges are generally a better option for top, not bottom teeth. Maybe they sometimes work on lower teeth, but I have lots of inherited excess bone on my lower gums called tori. It's a benign condition, but the bulk makes it impossible to have a removable bridge without extensive surgery.

The 2 lower teeth I had extracted were both the 2nd to the back. Actually, the tori are good because it prevents my teeth from shifting. They don't show when I smile and don't present a chewing problem, so that's okay.

All this said, I stopped having these teeth problems (knock wood!) when I started using a perio-aid toothpick holder to clean under the gum line and also a rubber gum stimulator.

These probably wouldn't be necessary if I used an electric toothbrush, but I find them uncomfortable.

Here are a couple of links. Good luck!

https://perio-aid.net/perio-aid.html

http://www.amazon.com/Gum-Butler-G-...9810385&sr=1-1&keywords=rubber+gum+stimulator

Wayne

But I couldn't find any testimonials like "hey, I just got my abscessed tooth pulled and have much more energy".

Hi @lift, don't miss this one...

My Recovery Story

And this...

Cavitation Journey

I would recommend paying close attention to these author's thoughts on finding an oral surgeon that is very familiar and competent with these kinds of issues. There's very few that fit in that category.

I've had abscessed teeth, and the only 2 options I've ever known of is either to get a root canal or an extraction.

I've had both done. For an upper molar in the back, I had an extraction and chose to get a removable bridge (partial) rather than getting an implant.

I've been extremely satisfied with this. I have no problem chewing and don't feel it at all. I put it in in the morning and leave it in except for cleaning. I remove it at night.

However, that wasn't an option when I had to have 2 lower teeth extracted. We tried root canals, but they didn't work.

The removable bridges are generally a better option for top, not bottom teeth. Maybe they sometimes work on lower teeth, but I have lots of inherited excess bone on my lower gums called tori. It's a benign condition, but the bulk makes it impossible to have a removable bridge without extensive surgery.

The 2 lower teeth I had extracted were both the 2nd to the back. Actually, the tori are good because it prevents my teeth from shifting. They don't show when I smile and don't present a chewing problem, so that's okay.

All this said, I stopped having these teeth problems (knock wood!) when I started using a perio-aid toothpick holder to clean under the gum line and also a rubber gum stimulator.

These probably wouldn't be necessary if I used an electric toothbrush, but I find them uncomfortable.

Here are a couple of links. Good luck!

https://perio-aid.net/perio-aid.html

http://www.amazon.com/Gum-Butler-G-U-M-Stimulator-Pack/dp/B00ELM6WRI/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429810385&sr=1-1&keywords=rubber gum stimulator

Perchance dreamer, I was actually more querying about the effect on health the infection would have. Judging by your post, I'm guessing removing the abscessed tooth had absolutely no effect.

perchance dreamer

The only beneficial effect I noticed from getting the extraction or the root canal is that the pain stopped. Mouth pain is the worst.