• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rhodiola and Ashwaghanda?

PeterPositive

Hi,
I am experimenting a little bit with adaptogens. Last year I was looking for a herb that could help stabilizing mood and energy and, after comparing several adaptogens, I went with Ashwaghanda. And I was not disappointed. :)

Ashwaghanda works pretty well for me, I find it calming and stabilizing at a dose of 300-600mg/day. Sometimes at 600mg can make me a little sleepy, so I don't always take that much.

In terms of energy improvements I don't feel like it's helping too much though, and since the inception of 2015 I have noticed a decline in energy, which is already insufficient, overall.

I was thinking of trying Rhodiola, which seems like a good candidate for improving energy without (hopefully) the side effects of Gingseng for example.

Should this work, would it make sense to take both herbs? Maybe taken at different times of the day? E.g. Rhodiola in the morning, Ashwaghanda in the evening?

I guess there could be interactions, if the two work similarly. Has anyone tried this combo?

Thanks

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I had more luck with Cordyceps. Never felt anything from Ash but Rhodiola apparently gave me a libido lift.

Yes it makes sense, a lot of brands mix these two herbs. They probably stack well together.

PeterPositive

I had more luck with Cordyceps. Never felt anything from Ash but Rhodiola apparently gave me a libido lift.
Interesting. I am already taking a bit of that from another supplement called "Immune Renew" (Now Food), it is a mix of several mushroom extracts that have stimulant activity on the immune cells.

Unfortunately it's not stated how much Cordyceps is used in the mix.

PeterPositive

Thanks. Interesting product, could be worth trying.
For others interested:
AdrenalHealth_60ctSupfax_007-1191-0811-1346426883.jpg

Product page:
http://www.gaiaherbs.com/products/detail/5/Adrenal-Health

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
They say Gaia is a high quality company, haven´t try anything from them though.

Cordyceps... Eclectic Institute and Hyperion Herbs (expensive) works well. Its one of my favourite "herbs" (is a fungus!), as it increases energy, pulmonary strength (noticeable) and also improves sexual function. This is why it can get so insanely expensive in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Anything that makes an old man achieve an erection makes the chinese nuts LOL

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I have not tried both. Just ashwaghanda. Be aware that you can possibly develop a habit to adaptogens. I recommend taking them 5 days on, 2 days off for maximum effectiveness.

PeterPositive

I have not tried both. Just ashwaghanda. Be aware that you can possibly develop a habit to adaptogens. I recommend taking them 5 days on, 2 days off for maximum effectiveness.
If it works, I'd be happy to become a Rhodiola addict :D
At this point ... I'd rather be a herb junkie than a running on dead batteries all the time :rolleyes:

p.s. = I'll try your suggestion, thx

Last edited:

jepps

I was thinking of trying Rhodiola, which seems like a good candidate for improving energy without (hopefully) the side effects of Gingseng for example.

Should this work, would it make sense to take both herbs? Maybe taken at different times of the day? E.g. Rhodiola in the morning, Ashwaghanda in the evening?

I guess there could be interactions, if the two work similarly. Has anyone tried this combo?

Thanks

I take both in energy xtra of Pure: http://www.pureencapsulations.com/energy-xtra.html

Martial

Maybe it's the amount of herbs from which they extract the active principles for each pill?

Possibly, I just find it confusing rather then just knowing the amount that is actually contained in the ingredients. I could just see some people being a bit put off by thinking there was over 6,400mg combined formula where the ingredient states differently. Maybe it has something to do with bio availability and the way the herbal extracts are preserved in liquid state. I.e. It would take 6400mg of this entire 2 capsules dose blend, in tea tincture form to achieve the same absorbed dose for the body.