• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

About the Diagnostic Criteria for Fibromyalgia - What's Happened to It?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
There are now 2 other MEN besides my husband in my office that have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Now I am starting to talk about it with them because I am just wondering what is going on. Neither of them have had anything else ruled out or other tests. No tender point or trigger point tests. They don't know what that is. No other symptoms besides muscle pain. No fibro fog. No muscle twitching. No digestion issues. No long lasting fatigue. Sounds like no radiating nerve pain. Both diagnosed by Family Physicians. Neither have seen a Rheumatalogist. From what they have told me, they have no understanding of any of the other symptoms.

I'm just wondering what is going on. Has the diagnostic criteria changed that much? Who's getting included now?

When I first moved here, there was one man with Fibromyalgia. It was a father of my daughter's friend. He was told by his doctor that he was the only man in the entire area who had ever been diagnosed. I am so confused right now about what is going on.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I'm sure fibromyalgia has become the dumping ground for people with chronic pain, much like CFS became the dumping ground for people with chronic fatigue. It's likely the doctors, not the criteria, that's to blame.

It sounds like it. That's too bad. It will become just like CFS in that it will be hard to find the right people to conduct the research studies. How much harder will that make it to find the cause or a cure?