• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VeinViewer Means No More Poking People Relentlessly to Locate Veins

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
If you are scared of the needle because you have difficult-to-locate veins, there is some good news for you.
To keep the guesswork out of injections, a Memphis-based company Christie Medical Holdings, has designed a device that can locate veins inside a person’s arm using harmless near-infrared light.

VeinViewer is a vein finder that uses infrared light to look under the skin and projects an HD image of the veins onto the surface of the skin. There won’t be any miss when the doctors and nurses poke you with a needle next time.
http://www.industrytap.com/veinviewer-means-no-poking-people-relentlessly-locate-veins/27706

Sushi

It doesn't tell them the depth though so there still can be misses.
They can't see any veins at all except on my hands so maybe it could be helpful for someone like me? I go through the hot packs moved around my arms in the "vain" effort to find a vein.

Sushi

IreneF

I found that the hospital phlebotomists are good, but nurses and other techs do a lot of probing, or go for my hands. The ones in the dr's offices are the worst.

One time a nurse couldn't even find my blood pressure.

oceiv

I read that Ehlers–Danlos syndrome patients have a lot of trouble with people finding their veins. Is there such an association with ME/CFS? Mine are near-impossible to find.

Last edited:

Valentijn

They had this at the hospital where I got IVs regularly and the experienced nurses never bothered with it.
It took most experienced nurses 3-4 tries on average (sometimes 6+) to get a cannula inserted for IV lines on me. And that was on the backs of my hands, usually after immersing them in warm water, where my veins are relatively visible.

Valentijn

I have EDS too. :(
I probably do too, but have never gone for an official diagnosis. My legs bend backwards a bit at the knees, I can touch my thumbs to the forearm, and can place my palms flat on the ground with knees locked when bending forward.

Sushi

My legs bend backwards a bit at the knees, I can touch my thumbs to the forearm, and can place my palms flat on the ground with knees locked when bending forward.
That sound pretty conclusive! My parents could do all that too (as can I), which makes sense as it is inherited.

Sushi