• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has D-Ribose helped you? If so, what other mitochondrial supplements are you taking alongside?

rosie26

Hi, I have found d-ribose helpful and am wondering what next to add. I would be interested to know what other mitochondrial supplements have been helping those who also take d-ribose. It would be great if you could give me the list you take and dose. Also, your opinion on what I should go for next or what helped you a lot. Thanks.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I tried it approx. 7 years ago with limited positive results, but it was not cost justified at the time. I was also taking Omega-3(fish oil), Co-Q10 and 10mg of NADH prior to starting and continuously while taking D-Ribose. The effects from NADH were insignificant as well.

I would consider trying both again as I was the early stages (first 3 years) of the disease during my first trial.

Last edited:

Ruthie24

I have found D Ribose helpful recently. When I tried it previously I didn't have much luck with it.

Currently I'm also taking alpha lipoic acid, CoQ 10, Carnitall, Creatine, Amino Complete, NT Factor, L-Lysine, Taurine, NAC and a bunch of methylation support supplements. I found that once I started taking the NT Factor, I was able to tolerate higher doses of many of these supplements.

helios

I have tried it a couple of times over the years.My summary of it is - it was okay, but not a can't live with out this supplement. I feel it did help me a bit with energy but was not as wonderful as I have heard few others describe it. If it was cheap and more widely available I would have taken it more often. I have a greater mental energy deficit then physical energy deficit though imo.

pogoman

D-ribose helped me with energy support when I found out I had MTHFR and was starting on the first of the supplements that eventually allowed me to get off prescription pain meds.
I do not take it except rarely now as the current supplements are working very well.
For mito support I take B2 riboflavin, coq10, choline/inositol, L-carnitine fumarate all at around 100mg each twice a day.
Occasionally about once every week or two I take manganese and phosphorus, too much can cause issues.

pogoman

@pogoman Can you say more re: why you take Inositol and what it does for you? I just learned of it and am curious. Thank you!

I found for me choline worked with carnitine to increase energy and reduce pain.
Choline supplements commonly have inositol together, as its referred to as unofficiially vitamin B8 and has a role in the mitochondrial ATP process I figured I would also try inositol this time around.
a correction on the amount, I checked the bottle and its 500mg each for choline and inositol.

I take CoQ10 daily and have tried D-Ribose but don't find either do anything for me. Since CoQ10 is healthy anyway I take it but maybe Ill try more D-Ribose.

try coq10 along with riboflavin B2 and see if that helps.

Last edited:

helios

I take CoQ10 daily and have tried D-Ribose but don't find either do anything for me. Since CoQ10 is healthy anyway I take it but maybe Ill try more D-Ribose.
Did you know there are 2 different versions of CoQ10? I think they are ubiquinone and ubiquinol. (I could be wrong)
My doc put me on it years ago and I thought it helped me a little...but expensive. When I got sick again a decade ago I tired it again but thought it was no good. There is a fair variation in price I found and went for the cheap brand to save money. Later on I read that there is two different processing method for CoQ10 with one producing a superior (and more expensive alas) version. I think it is better because it is absorbed by the body much better.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Ribose helps me more than any other supplement for energy. I also taken NT Factor EnergyLipids, CoQ10, L carnitine fumarate, magnesium and B12 Oils

SOC

No supplement seems to make a difference in energy for me except high doses of CoQ10 (1200-1800 mg). It's expensive, but since it's the only thing that makes a difference, I sacrifice other supps to pay for it. Less than 1200 mg of CoQ10 made no noticeable difference for me.

D-ribose significantly helped with daily body pain. It tends to make me less of a grump, and perhaps by consequence when I am not in as much pain/grumpy and can concentrate better, I might be able to do slightly more. D-ribose is better than a pain pill for pain and doesn't come with the downside of lowering my brain or intracellular glutathione like aspirin/acetaminophen (tylenol).

I've heard some people have success with CoQ10 or Reduced CoQ10 (ubiquinone or ubiquinol). L-carnitine fumarate lowered my heart pain, but was not significant enough for me to make a continuous purchase. Acetyl-l-carnitine supposedly helps with brain function, but I'm not sure that's doing anything big for me.

I had some strange tiny, tiny gains on Cat's Claw/Samento for a little while. But I've had a bulls-eye rash with inadequate treatment, activity on band 39 and 41 on my past/present infection testing for Lyme, and a positive on past infection of babesia. I don't recommend taking any medications/supplements with Cat's Claw/Samento other than d-ribose and anything approved for a Lyme protocol. In general, Cat's Claw/Samento can mess with the "thickness" of your blood and might put you out of commission more than normal.

If you suspect Lyme, I'd suggest going on a "challenge" for a while and then testing maybe 1-1.5 months after through IgeneX. The co-infections can be tested via a regular lab; I haven't heard anything otherwise.

I've done some type of methylation protocol for around a year, both Rich's and a variation of Freddd's, with no noticeable gain. Oddly, I take it about every 2-3 days because it significantly lowers my ability otherwise. I plan on stopping once my bottles run out, as I suspect my glutathione will be fine for a while. I might restart again after 6 months.

I also take fish oil for mood and headaches. Sometimes, caffeine for headaches, concentration, energy (but mind serotonin level). Vitamin D to try to get my lower values up.

I don't think I've had a noticeable benefit from any other supplementation.

Last edited:

rosie26

I tried it approx. 7 years ago with limited positive results, but it was not cost justified at the time. I was also taking Omega-3(fish oil), Co-Q10 and 10mg of NADH prior to starting and continuously while taking D-Ribose. The effects from NADH were insignificant as well.

I would consider trying both again as I was the early stages (first 3 years) of the disease during my first trial.
I hope ribose helps next time you try. I had very noticeable improvement in the first hour of taking it - pain started to lessen in my hands and I seemed to have a bit more stamina. Also, nausea decreased some. I think if it is not showing any noticeable effect when you take it - I wouldn't continue either. I was in my 11th year of ME when I first began taking ribose, I do wonder if it would have helped me in my first 3 years - it may not have, I don't know. I would be interested to hear how you go if you try it again.

rosie26

I have found D Ribose helpful recently. When I tried it previously I didn't have much luck with it.

Currently I'm also taking alpha lipoic acid, CoQ 10, Carnitall, Creatine, Amino Complete, NT Factor, L-Lysine, Taurine, NAC and a bunch of methylation support supplements. I found that once I started taking the NT Factor, I was able to tolerate higher doses of many of these supplements.
Oh great Ruthie, good to hear ribose is helping now. Thanks for letting me know what you take alongside - it will be helpful to me. Interesting about NT Factor, I will take a good look at that one.

dannybex

The one concern with d-ribose is that it really increases glycation -- not a good thing:

http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMarch2010/cureNO0210.html

"D-ribose is a potent glycating agent, being approximately 50 times more active in glycation than is D-glucose (the normal sugar in the blood), with substantial possible physiological effects of such D-ribose mediated glycation.
D-ribose is a potent glycating agent, being approximately 50 times more active in glycation than is D-glucose (the normal sugar in the blood), with substantial possible physiological effects of such D-ribose mediated glycation."