• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Perhaps nutrition is key--my heartfixer methylation and detox profile

I have generally been unwell. I have consistently suffered from tics, OCD, and unfortunately depression. These also seem to mingle with ADD and autism spectrum, which seems to be in the family. I have been able to manage these things, not without trials. I am a young man now, and have a lot ahead of me, but I would like to take the necessary steps to make it a little easier. Feeling the need to sleep 14 hours per day, and oftentimes finding myself swimming in what seems to be a mire of biochemical distractions has urged me to always be on the lookout for something that will help.

I have been reading through the heartfixer website, and so I decided to run my data. This information is quite overwhelming. What I gather is that I will have trouble producing BH4, methionine, and SAMe, amongst other things reliant on the production of these substances. My CBS mutation also sets me up for heavy production of ammonia. What are some connections that you can draw that may be useful? Some problems seem to be balanced out in a sense, while others seem starkly negative.
upload_2015-4-20_22-19-32.png

upload_2015-4-20_22-19-52.png

This is my first post, I hope I did it correctly. Thanks for reading.

alicec

I have been reading through the heartfixer website

That site just repeats Yasko's mistaken claims about a number of SNPs as well are perpetuating her myths based on dubious assumptions.

A few of your SNPs do have an affect but it is small. These will not be the source of your health problems, though possibly they could be making a small contribution.

Of the methylation SNPs you list, the only ones that do anything are the first COMT, MTHFR C677T, MTHFR A1298C, and MTRR K350A, all of which would cause a small slowing of the enzyme.

These could have a small effect on production of methionine and SAMe, they do not affect BH4.

CBS C699T is a slight upregulation of the enzymes (not the dramatic increase claimed by Yasko and Heartfixer) which is actually protective since it reduces homocysteine. This would not be causing problems with ammonia.

For your detox SNPs, it is often combinations rather than individual SNPs that matter. I suggest you run your results through Promethease. As well as looking at detox combinations, this site is in general much more comprehensive, links to research and is searchable for any gene you are interested in.

The first GSTP1 SNP would slightly slow the enzyme.