• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFI Spinal Fluid study from Lipkin and Hornig is out.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Thanks for looking, MeSci. And no, that is not the article, although the first one you found is interesting from a historical perspective (note the emphasis on Lyme arthritis - Steere is a rheumy). The second is kind of cool too - it is purported that Steere hired a public relations firm to improve his image, and this may have been part of that process.

Steere has his signature on literally hundreds of studies, I suspect. In much of the Lyme patient community, he is held with the same brand of, um, regard as Wessely is within the ME/CFS community.

So Firefox - which I use - is a browser. Who knew?

ETA: I thought I had mentioned the name of the article in question. I know I did on another forum. My mistake. It's "Treatment of the Early Manifestations of Lyme Disease" in the July, 1983 Annals of Internal Medicine, pgs 22-26. Authors: Allen C. Steere M.D., Gordon J. Hutchison M.D., Daniel W. Rahn, M.D., Leonard H. Sigal, MD., Joseph E. Craft, M.D., Elise T. DeSanna B.A., Stephen E. Malawista, M.D.

Here it is - the abstract and options to sign in or purchase. I see it's another Steere one though. I see someone called Duncan discusses it here. ;)

And here is the PubMed page for it, which lists related and citing articles. Always worth looking for citing articles, as they can provide updates, analyses, corrections, etc.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I love reading the history. It's hard to disentangle oneself from all the clinging vines and thickets that characterize today's Lyme and ME/CFS worlds. If you can dig up the kernels of deviance, you can see the thorn bushes for what they are, and more nimbly discern the pricks.

Avoiding pricks tends to be a good idea. Difficult when you have ME - or Lyme by the look of it. :lol:

NK17

@duncan and @MeSci can you please help me locate where in this thread you/we started talking about Lyme in regards/connection to the Hornig and Lipkin CSF study and the rationale?

I'm in a big crash and have to conserve the little energy I have for other daily living activities.

Thanks

duncan

Sure, NK17. Check over midway on page 12 I think. There wasn't much rational other than the flow just trended in that direction.

NK17

There are lots of references to Lyme in the thread. You can find them using the standard PR search facility - just type in 'lyme' and select 'search this thread only'. This is the first mention I found that way.
TY

worldbackwards

Just an abstract, unless anyone has access:

Cytokine network analysis of cerebrospinal fluid in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome
M Hornig, G Gottschalk, D L Peterson, K K Knox, A F Schultz, M L Eddy, X Che and W I Lipkin

Abstract
Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome is an unexplained debilitating disorder that is frequently associated with cognitive and motor dysfunction. We analyzed cerebrospinal fluid from 32 cases, 40 subjects with multiple sclerosis and 19 normal subjects frequency-matched for age and sex using a 51-plex cytokine assay. Group-specific differences were found for the majority of analytes with an increase in cases of CCL11 (eotaxin), a chemokine involved in eosinophil recruitment. Network analysis revealed an inverse relationship between interleukin 1 receptor antagonist and colony-stimulating factor 1, colony-stimulating factor 2 and interleukin 17F, without effects on interleukin 1α or interleukin 1β, suggesting a disturbance in interleukin 1 signaling. Our results indicate a markedly disturbed immune signature in the cerebrospinal fluid of cases that is consistent with immune activation in the central nervous system, and a shift toward an allergic or T helper type-2 pattern associated with autoimmunity.

http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v21/n2/full/mp201529a.html

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
"Our results indicate a markedly disturbed immune signature in the cerebrospinal fluid of cases that is consistent with immune activation in the central nervous system, and a shift toward an allergic or T helper type-2 pattern associated with autoimmunity." - Sexy.

rosie26

"Our results indicate a markedly disturbed immune signature in the cerebrospinal fluid of cases that is consistent with immune activation in the central nervous system, and a shift toward an allergic or T helper type-2 pattern associated with autoimmunity." - Sexy.
This allergic component was exciting to me as well when I read it. I will be interested in just what this is and it's affects and how they relate - it's been quite serious for me this last year and it's got to a level of feeling quite destructive.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
This allergic component was exciting to me as well when I read it. I will be interested in just what this is and it's affects and how they relate - it's been quite serious for me this last year and it's got to a level of feeling quite destructive.

Yep! I read somewhere that there is a higher portion of allergies in ME-patients compared to controls, fits with me as i have a big allergy towards grass.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Started with the usual allergies to grass pollen etc years ago and have graduated to more and different allergies--my cats, some foods.
Although none of these are serious so far only mild to moderate.

I get the impression though that allergies aren't all that uncommon in the general (and otherwise healthy) population.
And although I do have allergies I have never considered them anything like a main symptom until recently they seem to be moving up the queue.

roller

wiggle jiggle
TH2 ???
who would this fit with the virus-theory causing CFS ME?

virus and bacteria cause TH1+
worms and allergies cause TH2+

however, worms/allergies come along with bacteria/viruses as well.