• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pregnenlone for cognitive issues? (brain fog, disassociative feelings, memory issues)

drob31

I think I'm noticing a positive difference from pregnenelone. 25 mg makes me feel more energetic and reduces brain fog, and speeds up my thought processes.

"Like newly cut lumber, which can be processed into everything from building materials to facial tissue, pregnenolone’s final products fill myriad essential roles in the body, from stimulating memory via excitatory pathways to easing anxiety through inhibitory mechanisms."

"Pregnenolone was originally thought to be produced only in the adrenal glands and gonads (ovaries and testes). Somewhat surprisingly, the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) also synthesizes this hormone."

http://www.lef.org/magazine/2007/11/report_pregnenolone/Page-01

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
25 mgs turns me into a lunatic. With 10 i crash and burn within a few hours.

So unless I want to be eating it all day, which I cant because I go insane, it's not a given that it will work for everyone.

@heapsreal takes it and he has a lot of good advice on how to take it and what to expect.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
@heapsreal thoughts?

What dosage do you take? Does it help with cognition/memory, and mood?

Yes.

initially it overhyped me even on small doses. I think this was due to a thyroid dump. Body needs cortisol to use thyroid properly so can have a build up of thyroid. When we increase cortisol we can get a big increase in thyroid. Why it can be best to start low and go slow.

I use a transdermal cream. Currently use 50mg a day and happy with that. I initially started with 50mg and blew me away very wired anxious angry etc. I did notice some improvements until it got out of control which helped me to persist.

I tapered down until I found a dose I was happy with which end up being 5mg. I didn't even take it every day at first as I could get too wired from it. As I got use to it I started taking it daily and then slowly increased the dose. This was over several months.

My morning cortisol was low normal and with preg moved into the middle of the range. Increase in cortisol was what I was after. I also found for me it did little for dhea which was different to what I found researching it.

now its not so obviously noticeable the energy but if I stop, within a few days I notice a drop in energy. I also supplement with dhea 25mg twice day which keeps me in the upper third of the normal range.

I remember reading that pregnenolone also helped with neurotransmitters, could never find which ones but maybe works in a general way like it does for hormones.

I think its important to try and have all hormones within optimal range as they can help many processes in the body that we probably aren't aware of.

drob31

Good info, thanks.

I think I have preg-steal going on, so getting more of it will allow other downstream metabolities to be created.

mermaid

I started Pregnenolone recently after an Adrenal Stress test showed below range cortisol readings for 2 (2nd and 3rd of day). I had real problems with taking it initially as Heapsreal has described. I felt v v anxious with it and so it was not helping (that was on around 25mg using transdermal).

Now I am on a tiny amount like around 7.5 mg and been on that for a week or so, and all well so far, so I will take it up a bit v slowly this time and see.

drob31

Is there a reason you guys use transdermal instead of oral? Recommend any brands?

I think it's helping clear brain fog, word recall issues, and improve memory.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Is there a reason you guys use transdermal instead of oral? Recommend any brands?

I think it's helping clear brain fog, word recall issues, and improve memory.

Supposedly better absorbed plus I guess its slow release used that way.
I have my pregnenolone cream mafe by compounding chemist, 100mg/ml and use half a ml every morning.

drob31

How about sublingual?

Also, I noticed that Dr. Myhill likes Preg for CFS:

"Prescribing adrenal hormones for CFS
I used to treat DHEA deficiency with DHEA. However, I believe pregnenolone is more physiological because it is upstream of all adrenal hormones including progesterone and cortisol.
Cholesterol is the raw material from which steroid hormones are made in the body. The next biochemical step is pregnenolone- this is the mother and grandmother of all steroid hormones. Starting off with pregnenolone means that all steroid hormones can be naturally synthesised in the correct physiological balance.
In theory this should greatly simplify the business of prescribing and monitoring hormones because the body can do its own natural balancing act. Please see Wikipedia entry on Pregnenolone
A physiological dose of pregnenolone is 50mg. My office can supply Pregnenolone, 50mg, 60 caps. It is better absorbed under the tongue. This works because sublingual doses bypass the liver - the so-called "first pass effect".
This advice applies equally to men as it does to women. If you are taking DHEA now or if a future Adrenal Stress Profile (ASP) result shows low levels of DHEA, my advice is that you should consider taking/swapping to pregnenolone. If you do the ASP test through my practice, then I will recommend pregnenolone if indicated by the results. In addition to CFS sufferers, post menopausal women and those aged over 50 may also benefit from this therapy. For those 'transferring' from DHEA to pregnenolone, the conversion rate is approximately 1:2, so that if you are currently taking 5 mg daily of DHEA then you should transfer to 10 mg daily of pregnenolone.
In patients in which the Adrenal Stress Profile test shows a deficiency of cortisol it is worth trying hydrocortisone. This is the biologically identical hormone and if given in small doses (5-10mg in the morning) it has no side effects and induces no suppression of the adrenal gland. There are no long term side effects, there is no need to carry a steroid card, and no need to tail the dose off when stopping the course. Hydrocortisone should be seen as a crutch to the adrenal gland. The use of hydrocortisone allows the adrenal gland to rest a little and, in time, resume normal production, at which point the hydrocortisone can be stopped. This removal of the hydrocortisone support should only happen once the patient feels considerably better, which may take several months or even years. There is no need to recheck levels of cortisol once on treatment.
It may be that pregnenolone will be more effective as cortisol replacement - time will tell - watch this space!

Pregnenolone Steal
I think pregnenolone may be particularly pertinent in the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome, and indeed the ageing process, for two reasons.
As described above, pregnenolone is the most upstream of all adrenal hormones and immediately downstream from cholesterol. The conversion of cholesterol to pregnenolone takes place in the mitochondria and so one can easily see how poor mitochondrial function could result in poor output of pregnenolone and, therefore, adrenal hormones.
Pregnenolone steal – if the body becomes stressed, for whatever reason, then the production of adrenal hormones is moved away from the anabolic building, healing and repair hormones to the catabolic stress hormones such as cortisol. In essence, when sufficiently stressed, pregnenlone is diverted away from making anabolic hormones to making catabolic hormones, essentially cortisol. Consequently, less hormone is available for healing and repair. People with chronic fatigue syndrome are permanently stressed by many factors, not least of which is their inability to live up to their potential. Hence CFS sufferers will likely suffer from pregneolone steal. This is bad news not only because this will mean that there is less hormone available for healing and repair but also because pregnenolone steal worsens the problems of low pregnenolone production in CFS sufferers, as already described above, resulting from their poor mitochondrial function."

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Common_Hormonal_Problems_in_CFS_-_Adrenal