• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

test results (urgent)

Sorry didn't know where to post this...

i've got a fever since 7 days at 102, 104 degrees...it is not going away with paracetamol, i also have chills, severe low bp and vomiting

my doctor has given me a pill to stop the vomiting, fever, a b complex syrup and another kind of paracetamol which controls the fever for 2-4 hours but doesn't eradicate it completely

here are my test results for cbc, what does normocytic, normochromic mean?

Attachments

• New Doc 4_2.jpg
    New Doc 4_2.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 46
i've got a fever since 7 days at 102, 104 degrees...it is not going away with paracetamol, i also have chills, severe low bp and vomiting

my doctor has given me a pill to stop the vomiting, fever, a b complex syrup and another kind of paracetamol which controls the fever for 2-4 hours but doesn't eradicate it completely

"Normo" = normal. Elevated ESR is probably pretty typical with some sort of infection.

Are you able to eat and hydrate properly now, with the pills?

Is the doctor looking for the cause of the infection? It seems a bit odd to have such a high fever for so long.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Sorry didn't know where to post this...

As Valentijn says, the normocytic and normochromic bit indicates that the red cells in the blood looked at on a fim are normal size and colour.

In general everything is normal here except an ESR that is moderately high, consistent with any sort of infection. The white cell count is neither low nor high, which makes a serious bacterial infection like pneumonia or a kidney infection fairly unlikely. A week is a long time to have fever and chills with a virus but is possible. Usually by 7 days specific symptoms turn up to indicate where an infection is based - sore throat, abdominal pain or something like that. Vomiting can occur as part of the febrile reaction so may not mean much. To make any real clinical sense of the situation needs more detail in the way of history and physical exam and I am not in a position to try to do that.

All I think one can say is that the blood test is no cause for alarm - it is about as normal as one would like to see in this situation, so sorting out what to do will depend more on the clinical situation or getting some more tests to look at more specific things. Viruses like Norovirus can do this sort of thing and they just go away in the end, but a week is quite long to be shivering and vomiting.

"Normo" = normal. Elevated ESR is probably pretty typical with some sort of infection.

Are you able to eat and hydrate properly now, with the pills?

Is the doctor looking for the cause of the infection? It seems a bit odd to have such a high fever for so long.

yes he is, gave me an anti-biotic now too, i don't know what it's for but it's called cefixime

i'm able to eat with the pills thank god, just yogurt, juices sip by sip, little bit of water, ORS, milk, thats about it

the fever goes away for 2 hours with the paracetamol then comes back up...so the pills effects are temporary

te other thing that helps is cold showering frequently to get ti down

As Valentijn says, the normocytic and normochromic bit indicates that the red cells in the blood looked at on a fim are normal size and colour.

In general everything is normal here except an ESR that is moderately high, consistent with any sort of infection. The white cell count is neither low nor high, which makes a serious bacterial infection like pneumonia or a kidney infection fairly unlikely. A week is a long time to have fever and chills with a virus but is possible. Usually by 7 days specific symptoms turn up to indicate where an infection is based - sore throat, abdominal pain or something like that. Vomiting can occur as part of the febrile reaction so may not mean much. To make any real clinical sense of the situation needs more detail in the way of history and physical exam and I am not in a position to try to do that.

All I think one can say is that the blood test is no cause for alarm - it is about as normal as one would like to see in this situation, so sorting out what to do will depend more on the clinical situation or getting some more tests to look at more specific things. Viruses like Norovirus can do this sort of thing and they just go away in the end, but a week is quite long to be shivering and vomiting.

yeah it's been more than a week now...

i know what you mean, thanks.

i think it may be a uti infection.... it's 40 c here after all

oceiv

I'm not sure if this will be relevant to you, but my fevers respond to Tylenol (paracetamol) but not aspirin. Maybe yours would respond better to aspirin than the paracetamol?

Also, if it's a not a UTI, a friend had similar symptoms when she had a kidney stone.

I hope you get some relief soon.

the urine d/r results are clear, except for ketones in the urine

ig ues its not a uti....

situation is still the same, if it gets worse my fam will take me to ER

Gingergrrl

@LivingwithFibro I know this is a HUGE long-shot and not even sure if you live in the US but there was a recall earlier this month of hummus that was contaminated by Listeria which can cause fever and vomiting etc.

Did you eat any hummus within the last few weeks? It was Sabra brand and I actually ate the affected batch but so far (almost two weeks later) I am okay. Forgive me if this does not pertain to you but just wanted to mention it.

If you suspect a UTI ---maybe try some D-Mannose. The NOW brand is fine. I'm pretty sure you can order it from Iherb.... or try Amazon. D-Mannose is very effective in preventing and stopping UTIs.... I'm thinking that it may be too late to order it and get it shipped to Pakistan to help with this infection--but it might be useful to have on hand if you are prone to UTIs.

A quick recovery to you,
Silverseas2014

hi guys,
it was a typhoid fever, according to provisional reports....
i get my full reports on the 26th

i was rushed into ER when my fever reached above 104
stayed there, got my anti biotics, ivs, injections, medicines, tests, bad hospital food for 3 days
got discharged yesterday, injections will continue for another 11 days

now about the salmonellla, i'm not sure how it happened, i stopped eating raw eggs 1-2 months ago but i guess it was due to eating cold food from the fridge such as roasted chicken, mincemeat all the time....

i got 'culture' tests done, waiting for reports

fever is gone, chills still here sometime, nausea not so much

@Valentijn @silverseas2014 @WillowJ @Gingergrrl @Jonathan Edwards @oceiv

You have really been through it, @LivingwithFibro ! It's so good that you got care when you did. Thanks for updating us - I had been checking to see if there had been any news. I hope the rest of your recovery goes well.

You guys are one supportive bunch! Thank you. I'm a warrior so this was nothing :D although I wouldn't want to live through it again, them chills and the 104 fever, brrr!

You have no idea how good it feels to eat and not throw up any more, I am craving food again too.

Finally able to walk without a wheelchair.

I'm very lucky to have the care I did at the hospital, everything was amazing sans the crappy food. My friend had to sneak in fresh juices in her purse for me :D That was the only thing I kept down.

@LivingwithFibro So glad you are better now. Wow, how did you get typhoid fever?!!!

Thanks, lovely!

We still don't know if it was truly typhoid, we only know that through the provisional reports and the fact that I responded so well to the treatment. I get my full reports tomorrow.

I got it because I was eating cold food out of the fridge all the time. Roasted chicken, unheated, mincemeat, vegetables as well, everything.... I think that's what caused it.

I used to have raw organic eggs as part of the Gaps Diet 2 months ago but no case typhoid or salmonella ever. *Confused*