• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll for maternal haplogroup as possible indicator for ME/CFS phenotype

What is your maternal haplogroup and phenotype with respect to fatigue or exhaustion?

• My haplogroup is "H" and fatigue or exhaustion is not a significant issue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My haplogroup is "J" and fatigue or exhaustion is not a significant issue.

• My haplogroup is not "H" or "J" and fatigue or exhaustion is not a significant issue.

• Total voters

nandixon

I thought it would be interesting to see if a person's mitochondrial DNA/maternal haplogroup has an effect on ME/CFS "phenotype" (characteristic symptoms) after learning that the mtDNA for the J haplogroup has been found to consistently produce less ATP than that of the H haplogroup, all else being equal. (See this post/thread here, and thanks to @Eeyore.)

To answer this poll, if you've done 23andMe please find the first letter of the haplogroup that denotes your maternal line from the following link (you'll need to login first):

https://www.23andme.com/you/haplogroup/maternal/

For example, I'm "J1c" so I belong to the J haplogroup.

You may also have found your mtDNA/maternal haplogroup from other testing services, such as Family Tree DNA, etc.

If your maternal haplogroup is neither H nor J, you're no less important but the differences in ATP production are perhaps not so clear as they are between H and J, so I've combined the remaining haplogroups in the choices for their answers.

If you don't know your maternal haplogroup please do not answer this poll.

Thanks for participating!

SOC

@nandixon,
I had years of continual exhaustion, but now that I'm pacing well and getting a number of good treatments, I only have abnormal exhaustion if I go outside my energy envelope. So, continual exhaustion is a feature of my illness overall, but proper management has it under good control. Which category would you want me to put myself in: continual exhaustion, or exhaustion after exertion?

nandixon

@SOC, I would say in the continual exhaustion category since it seems that would be your body's "natural" response to this illness if you hadn't been fortunate enough to have found helpful treatments and pacing. Thanks!

ahmo

I would say in the continual exhaustion category since it seems that would be your body's "natural" response to this illness if you hadn't been fortunate enough to have found helpful treatments and pacing. Thanks!
Oh...I clicked the 2nd, exhaustion after exertion. I thought about it. I'm less exhausted than I was before methylation protocol. But I noticed today that I seem to be surprised over and over again by how little activity I actually can do. And I'm now very careful about not over-doing. So maybe I belong in Category 1.:confused:

WoolPippi

Oh...I clicked the 2nd, exhaustion after exertion. I thought about it. I'm less exhausted than I was before methylation protocol. But I noticed today that I seem to be surprised over and over again by how little activity I actually can do. And I'm now very careful about not over-doing. So maybe I belong in Category 1.:confused:
You can change your vote if you wish to.

I considered voting the 2nd too because I can mostly identify what makes me exhausted. Realizing I was about to label "sleeping" to be "exertion" because I wake up exhausted I then voted the 1st category :D

Last edited:

ukxmrv

Hi @nandixon

Here's a vaguely similar poll that I set up. Did add another post when the latest news came through (about H)

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/what-is-your-maternal-haplogroup.24510/#post-592068

I have voted as a J and continual exhaustion but neither option was entirely right. Have ME as per Ramsay and he reported that may of his patients were not TATT but had a daily rhythm and sometimes felt the exhaustion/weakness etc lift a bit. I do always get bad PEM malaise though.

Answered yes to continual because I never feel completely right or normal. Just varying degrees of awfulness during the day.

Critterina

Maternal haplogroup D4e1 and no CFS or ME. D is not a choice, so I'm not taking the poll. Fatigue and exhaustion were not an issue until adrenal insufficiency and histamine intolerance took their toll. I have energy now but have not recovered my fitness level.

nandixon

Thanks @Critterina. People with the D haplogroup would fall into one of the three "not H or J" options, but the poll is just for people with ME/CFS.

nandixon

@Critterina, sorry that it wasn't clear and I hope you don't end up with a ME/CFS diagnosis. (It's too late for me to be able to edit anything to make it more clear.)

Critterina

@Critterina, sorry that it wasn't clear and I hope you don't end up with a ME/CFS diagnosis. (It's too late for me to be able to edit anything to make it more clear.)
Oh, that's fine. No problem. And thanks for your good wishes. I think that although I share a lot of SNPs with the ME/CFS people, (also with the bipolar/schizophrenia people), that it's very unlikely that I'll get that diagnosis.

I'm very thankful for this forum, as it has helped me exceedingly in trying to figure out what illnesses took me down and to recover. I've also learned language to talk about symptoms, some that have been with me since birth and I just thought were normal. Meanwhile I've gained sympathy with doctors in distinguishing symptoms from diagnoses, and learned that there are some standard ways of describing certain feelings (and that saying "buzzy arms and legs" will get you further than saying "champagne bubbles in my arms and legs" - although I thought the second one said it perfectly.)

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Mine is V. From some limited brain-fogged reading it seems that it's quite close to H, but 23andme just says "V a subset of R0". I voted for Not H or J with continual exhaustion, although it's more like I have a very small energy envelope. House-bound and mostly bed-bound due to OI and the small energy envelope.

whodathunkit

'm very thankful for this forum, as it has helped me exceedingly in trying to figure out what illnesses took me down and to recover. I've also learned language to talk about symptoms, some that have been with me since birth and I just thought were normal. Meanwhile I've gained sympathy with doctors in distinguishing symptoms from diagnoses, and learned that there are some standard ways of describing certain feelings (and that saying "buzzy arms and legs" will get you further than saying "champagne bubbles in my arms and legs" - although I thought the second one said it perfectly.)
Well said, Critterina! I second this, wholeheartedly! I don't know where I'd be today without PR.

whodathunkit

Ooops, I voted. Didn't realize you had to have an official diagnosis until reading through comments.

I voted for my pre-PR state of continual fatigue, haplogroup H. @nandixon, will you please delete my vote?