• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immunobiotics - a new therapy or more pseudo-scientific nonsense?

Aileen

Accidentally stumbled across this product called "Immunobiotic Immuno-LP20" [link here]. It sounds great (doesn't everything?) but I am skeptical that it could do much.

It seems to me that they are promoting this as a cross between a probiotic and a vaccine. It seems to be neither. It is a killed microbe, so it cannot function as a probiotic. It seems a bit of a stretch to think a dead microbe could have much of an effect in the gastrointestinal tract. Wouldn't the GI tract be the last place for vaccine-like activity? :cautious:

I don't have a scientific background but would be interested in the views of those who do. It looks like we could be seeing a bunch of similar products hitting the market. @Jonathan Edwards what do you make of this?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Accidentally stumbled across this product called "Immunobiotic Immuno-LP20" [link here]. It sounds great (doesn't everything?) but I am skeptical that it could do much.

It seems to me that they are promoting this as a cross between a probiotic and a vaccine. It seems to be neither. It is a killed microbe, so it cannot function as a probiotic. It seems a bit of a stretch to think a dead microbe could have much of an effect in the gastrointestinal tract. Wouldn't the GI tract be the last place for vaccine-like activity? :cautious:

I don't have a scientific background but would be interested in the views of those who do. It looks like we could be seeing a bunch of similar products hitting the market. @Jonathan Edwards what do you make of this?

Total immunobabble, as you suspected. Judging by what it is supposed to do it ought to give you rather nasty tummy-ache and make you go to bed with a fever.

Aileen

Thank you Halcyon and Jonathan Edwards. Nice to know I was right but we shouldn't have to be scientists to decipher product labels at a health food store!!

Hip

I think this Immunobiotic Immuno-LP20 product is similar to the two Lactobacillus rhamnosus cell lysate products detailed in this post.

Lactobacillus rhamnosus cell lysate is composed of peptides derived from the cell wall of Lactobacillus rhamnosus bacteria. These peptides are supposed to stimulate various cytokines.